Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just removed my side fairings fully for the first time and was pleasant surprised how well designed the set up is compared to some bikes.
It's a genuine 10 minute job once you have done it once or twice.

I'm not going to insult your aptitude by wet nursing you through every bolt and screw removal but basically if you remove the five pieces in the picture below first, then the side panels come off nicely in one section each.

The front piece in the picture is the surround that runs on the underneath side of the fairing. There's four stainless steel socket screws that hold it on at the front under the duck tails (use 4mm allen key to remove) and the rest are push clips. Push the centre of them with a small object and they collapse in.
The two middle pieces in the picture are the lower cowls (obviously!) and are held on by 3 x socket screws and a plastic joining clip at the very front links the two together. You need to get a small screw driver to flick the centre pin of this fastener outwards.
The two rubbery pieces at the back are the bits that run under the seat and cover a lot of the main fairing screws/bolts. These are held on by 2x socket screws and rubber push in clips/sockets.

P1000132.JPG

The main side pieces are held on by a mixture of socket screws,2 x hex head bolts (use 8mm socket) and push on clips/sockets. Pretty straight forward, just remember to unclip your indicator wires first!

P1000134.JPG

Should end up looking like this!

P1000135.JPG

·
Registered
744 Posts
Fairings are pretty and functional indeed.

But honestly, if they had come out with a naked version, I would have gone for that. Just a preference and easier for maintenance.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm still learning on removing the fairings and hope with time that it gets easier. I understand for the experts, that removing the fairings is pretty easy and intuitive but definitely not when you are doing it for the first time.

Since motorcycles with fairings have been around such a long time, I wonder why manufacturers do not come up with an easier way to uninstall and reinstall them. With all the technology advances it seems like there should be away to secure and design plastics and the frame in such a way to secure with minimal or no bolts/screws at all. To me it would be a major selling point for street riders and people that want to track their bikes to switch out fairings. One of the appeals of naked bikes is not having to deal with the plastics to mod and wrench on your bike and less intimidating to work on. I'm not sure about R&D costs and whether it's even cost efficient for manufacturers to produce. I could be in the minority and there's limited demand for this. Maybe this all becomes a mute point when electric bikes become mainstream and there's no reason to remove plastics.

@Kiwi Rider - Do you have a recommendation on how tight the bolts and screws should be when reinstalling the fairings? Since it's plastic on plastic or plastic on metal, is finger tight sufficient or requires more?

Reactions: HeatXeeker

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Kiwi Rider - Do you have a recommendation on how tight the bolts and screws should be when reinstalling the fairings? Since it's plastic on plastic or plastic on metal, is finger tight sufficient or requires more?
Put down that torque wrench! :smile_big: Evil things.
No, just do everything up by feel using allen keys and a 1/4" drive ratchet on the few bolts there are, then you cant get too much leverage that will break things.
Err on the side of not over tightening and dont sweat it. :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Put down that torque wrench! :smile_big: Evil things.
No, just do everything up by feel using allen keys and a 1/4" drive ratchet on the few bolts there are, then you cant get too much leverage that will break things.
Err on the side of not over tightening and dont sweat it. :)
Thanks! I will definitely not over tighten! :)

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have removed the fairings but a couple of rubber spacers fell. Not sure where they go though
Ah yes, I know those bits well. They dont have good enough glue on them to hold them in place.
They go on the back of the two rubbery side panels that fit under the seat.
Have a look at the first photo in my original post #1.
The two pieces of panel on the right side of the photo are the ones I'm talking about. If you turn them over you will probably see marks on the back of them where the blocks were sitting before they fell off. Secure with some good glue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The two pieces of panel on the right side of the photo are the ones I'm talking about. If you turn them over you will probably see marks on the back of them where the blocks were sitting before they fell off.
I see the one rubber spacer but I cannot see any trace of where the other could have fallen off.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks! I will definitely not over tighten! :)
If you under tighten, they may get loose and fall while riding. I know because I've lost a couple. Check them after every ride until you get the 'feeling' of how much to tight them.

Anyways, 5mm bolts are cheaper than fairings panels so, as @Kiwi Rider said, better err on the soft side.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Getting ready to pull the side fairings for the first time, i pulled the lower, side covers and lower inner last night. I was looking for the wires for the turn signals i gave it a rest i see now you disconnect the wire after the faring is off some and the two fuse boxes need to be unlatched.

Thanks for the heads up and brain has great videos !

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a black 400 and the silver fairing bolts bothered me so I ordered these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Fairing-Bolts-Screws-Kit-For-Kawasaki-Ninja-400-EX400-400R-ER-4f-500R/352430054217?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=621778134362&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I've only swapped out a couple of the small ones that you can see when you walk up to the bike. That size fits well, the heads are larger than stock but they are the same diameter as the nylon washers so it doesn't seem to be an issue and the cover the washers. They look great and as an added bonus they are aluminum so are about a third the weight of the stock screws.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts