Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, that's a pretty dry title.

Anyways, I took the left side fairing off the other day to do some work on my bike (USB accessory socket) and when I put things back together I had a few extra fasteners. I took it off again, found one I had missed, but still have two left.

Long story short, can anyone guess which ones I might have missed?

There's a Philips head (the only one I took out) and a standard size hex with washer.

Or, if you took pictures when you were taking yours off and could dump them here (you were wiser than me, I'm going to be doing this next time) that would be super appreciated too.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah, it took me 2-3 attempts to figure out too, having 2 identical bikes helps :)
Second time around it was much easier to disassemble and reassemble (used several boxes to sort the fasteners based on location on the bike).

IIRC the philips head bolts are used to fix the rear side fairings to the frame (the 2 pieces on both sides of the pillion seat), not for the side fairings.
The HEX bolt has a metal washer from the looks of it, those should also fix to the frame and they are hidden from sight when the bike's assembled with main seat on.
Remove the seats and look around the rider seat area.
Writing from the office from memory, will take a look at the bikes tonight if nobody beats me to it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, I don’t see any Philips nuts (or holes for nuts) in the back (just the larger ones for the pillion seat lock). Unless they're under the rear fairing pieces (which I didn't take off).

I have the sense it came from the front somewhere... down near the Kawasaki decal or the plastic snaps in the front wheel well.

The hex with washer bolting to the frame makes a lot of sense to me. I’ll have to make time to take the front fairing off again tomorrow and triple check connections to the frame.

Thanks for your help, by the way.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
I had my fairing sides off on the weekend checking all my connections when my engine warning light came on. I must admit there is a lot of sections of fairing and a lot of screws on this bike!

There are two philips head screws in the well behind the front tyre. One either side of the exhaust headers. Check it's not one of those.

The 'hex bolt' is a button head cap screw (sorry that's the engineer coming out in me :)) and there are a heap of these. I would suggest taking some panels off again until you find a hole vacant and bang it in there!

All the best.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found it. I took them out not realizing they were for the headlight, not the fairing. Easy for your eyes to skip over with so much going on. Woo. Thanks.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts