Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So I got my bike after 1.5 long weeks of wait, and the break-in period starts...
But sadly I have injured myself(nothing related to bike :)), so won't be able to ride for about 3 weeks :(.

So, I go for the past 2-3 days I am starting the bike and let it run on idle for around 5 min.
My query is as I am not able to ride it for some time, can I let it run in idle for an extended period like 20 min, and in between twist the throttle to reach 3-4k RPM for 5-10 sec and then again run in idle(2k RPM)? Is this of any use?

Thanks

·
Registered
656 Posts
Welcome to the forums NinjaTheory, Sorry to hear of your dilemma. If this is your first bike - Take this time to get lots of selfies with it and watch MCrider and other videos on bike safety... and maybe start reading the forums about available mods you may want, there is tones of great info here.

Leave the bike alone till you can ride... New engines create additional heat while breaking them in, and the engine cant get proper cooling just sitting even with the fan as a back up... Its not recommend to run the engine at idle longer then about 5 minutes, also stagnant heat can build up in the engine compartment without some airflow causing undo heat stress on external engine components during a hot summers day.

Sitting at idle will not break-in the engine properly and racing it to 4k rpm without a load unrestricted is a bad idea. also the transmission needs to be broke in as well and that cant happen at idle, While sitting at idle theres a chance you will use more energy then the bike will create when the fan kicks on to cool the radiator draining your battery down, just a few of the reasons its not advisable.

But I like your thinking good try..!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forums NinjaTheory, Sorry to hear of your dilemma. If this is your first bike - Take this time to get lots of selfies with it and watch MCrider and other videos on bike safety... and maybe start reading the forums about available mods you may want, there is tones of great info here.

Leave the bike alone till you can ride... New engines create additional heat while breaking them in, and the engine cant get proper cooling just sitting even with the fan as a back up... Its not recommend to run the engine at idle longer then about 5 minutes, also stagnant heat can build up in the engine compartment without some airflow causing undo heat stress on external engine components during a hot summers day.

Sitting at idle will not break-in the engine properly and racing it to 4k rpm without a load unrestricted is a bad idea. also the transmission needs to be broke in as well and that cant happen at idle, While sitting at idle theres a chance you will use more energy then the bike will create when the fan kicks on to cool the radiator draining your battery down, just a few of the reasons its not advisable.

But I like your thinking good try..!
Thanks Mr Mike,

This is not my first bike, but I was not aware of any break-in periods when I started riding my first bike(though I didn't race it from the start, but after riding around 250 km).
This time I am more aware and will take more precautions :D .
Thanks again for your advice, will start looking at frame sliders for now, this is the first mod that I want to do...

One more query though.
I am planning to get my first servicing done(when I reach 1000 km) from the authorized service station and afterwards, do it myself as there are several online videos available, this way I will save some money as well as get to know my bike, is this recommended?
If you or anyone goes for a longer ride say 750 km - 1500 km, do you get the bike serviced before this or you do general maintenance and checks by yourself?

Regards

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thanks Mr Mike,

This is not my first bike, but I was not aware of any break-in periods when I started riding my first bike(though I didn't race it from the start, but after riding around 250 km).
This time I am more aware and will take more precautions :D .
Thanks again for your advice, will start looking at frame sliders for now, this is the first mod that I want to do...

One more query though.
I am planning to get my first servicing done(when I reach 1000 km) from the authorized service station and afterwards, do it myself as there are several online videos available, this way I will save some money as well as get to know my bike, is this recommended?
If you or anyone goes for a longer ride say 750 km - 1500 km, do you get the bike serviced before this or you do general maintenance and checks by yourself?

Regards
Didn't you do the oil change on your other bike. you probably know your way around a bike, I would just do the whole first service your self and use the money for a new mod, unless of coarse the dealer threw the first service in with the deal... Theres a video here on the forums by emudshit that shows you what you need and how to do it... easy peezy man.

Extended ride service, depends on the person. If your doing the regular service you might as well. Me I would do a complete service my self and do it a few days before the ride - not the day of the ride.. It takes less then 10 minutes to check out the whole bike before going on that 700km ride, And around 30 for a full service.

You can change the oil on the 400 in under 10 minutes with filter. check, tighten & lube the chain in another 15 minutes, Check the antifreeze & fill it in 2 minutes, Check tire pressure and fill in under 4 minutes, Fill the tank with gas the night before - all less then 30 minutes for a full service and your good to go on the 1500km trip. If your a real go getter you could also lube your cables too.

If you have more money than time then let the shop do it. - If you do it yourself for warranty purposes keep a running service log... Purchase receipts and note the dates and mileage you serviced the bike and what services you did.

Good luck man.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts