Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2023 Kawi Ninja 400 ABS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LEETTSSS GOOO! Finally! Got off the 600lb cruiser and love this thing.. but IMO the ridiculously large size, heavy weight, ugly shape, and weak sound that come with the stock exhaust HAVE to go.

I read up a little and don't want to do the full system, just a slip on.

Will I need to add anything else in addition? Does it depend on the slip on I choose? What are some more reputable brands?

I am primarily swapping for sound. I want it to have a mean bark that won't wake the neighbors below 5,000rpm.

Please also take into account that I'd prefer to do everything myself aside from anything I might need to do with the ECU (Unless it's fairly straightforward)

Any and all help is MUCH appreciated!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
@spurscar nailed it. There are a ton of good options out there. Stick with a reputable brand and I don't think you can go wrong. You shouldn't need to do anything special with a basic slip on. There are a ton of sound clips and walk around videos out there. I have the same LV Corsa exhaust as above and it's been good for me. I'm upgrading to a full system in the very near future. If you happen to decide on Corsa and are interested in used send me a PM.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
My understanding is that most or all slip ons will not need additional work. My Arrow Pro-Race reduced weight by about 8 lbs., dramatically reduced size, and lowered the exhaust note. She sounds like a motorcycle now. It also didn't harm my MPG, which I value as a long-distance rider on a bike with a small gas tank.

I personally prefer my bike to be on the quiet side, so I liked that the Pro-Race is claimed to be EPA compliant on our bikes. There're limited options for street legal compliance if you're in an inspection state or have concerns. I've never lived in such a state, so I've no advice on that point.

Otherwise, the exhaust section on this site has a lot of reviews, some with sound clips, and there's also many YouTube videos of this bike with different exhausts.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I recently put back my Yoshimura slip-on and I am really enjoying it. Here is a comparison that I made back in the day: Slip-On Exhaust Opinions/Comparison.

Installing a slip-on is pretty easy. But if you don't do it right, it can negatively affect your performance, just make sure it is properly attached and does not leak.

·
Registered
One engine, 2 wheels, reformed squid rider 😂🐙
1,158 Posts
Here is the CSRacing slip on I have on the bike now. 🥰

Here is the LeoVince LV10 slip on exhaust without the db killer before I switched to the CSRacing exhaust. 🥰

LV10 will cost you about $250 or so depending where you look.

CSRacing slip on costs about $450 or so.
CS exhaust requires cutting off part of your header for installation. Easy mod to do.

Good luck on your pick.
Lots of choices. 👍

·
Registered
2 Posts
LEETTSSS GOOO! Finally! Got off the 600lb cruiser and love this thing.. but IMO the ridiculously large size, heavy weight, ugly shape, and weak sound that come with the stock exhaust HAVE to go.

I read up a little and don't want to do the full system, just a slip on.

Will I need to add anything else in addition? Does it depend on the slip on I choose? What are some more reputable brands?

I am primarily swapping for sound. I want it to have a mean bark that won't wake the neighbors below 5,000rpm.

Please also take into account that I'd prefer to do everything myself aside from anything I might need to do with the ECU (Unless it's fairly straightforward)

Any and all help is MUCH appreciated!!
I love to upgrade my exhaust maybe to give a little bit of more power anywhere in the mid-range but all aftermarket exhaust mean all exhaust are loud I just love to find an aftermarket exhaust to do what it's supposed to do but keep it quiet and seems nobody wants to make any I'm beyond that point of age where I just want to be incognito and not be annoying little ******* on the road

·
Registered
106 Posts
I love to upgrade my exhaust maybe to give a little bit of more power anywhere in the mid-range but all aftermarket exhaust mean all exhaust are loud I just love to find an aftermarket exhaust to do what it's supposed to do but keep it quiet and seems nobody wants to make any I'm beyond that point of age where I just want to be incognito and not be annoying little *** on the road
While not fashionable, Supertrapp mufflers are highly adjustable for sound level.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I actually think that they look interesting. I don't know if they offer any performance improvements on bikes with electronic injection.
I haven't used Supertrapps is a very long time. At the time, the exhaust design thought leaned toward a megaphone shape which emits a longer negative pulse back towards the exhaust port instead of today's focused-length cutoffs. Dynos were around but not as common.

By varying the number of plates, you can increase or decrease the db levels very easily until you forget where you stored the dirty plates.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I love to upgrade my exhaust maybe to give a little bit of more power anywhere in the mid-range but all aftermarket exhaust mean all exhaust are loud I just love to find an aftermarket exhaust to do what it's supposed to do but keep it quiet and seems nobody wants to make any I'm beyond that point of age where I just want to be incognito and not be annoying little *** on the road
My Arrow Pro Race slip on, and the Yoshimura Street series Alpha slip on are supposed to meet EPA noise regs (and CARB if you're in one of those jurisdictions). I think that there is an Akrapovic slip on offered through Kaw that is also EPA compliant.

The Arrow lowered the exhaust note, but isn't obnoxious. My neighbors still like me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
While not fashionable, Supertrapp mufflers are highly adjustable for sound level.
Finally someone mentions the SuperTrapp! I have had two (Yamaha XT 500 and Honda XR650L) and love that they can be tuned for both sound and back pressure. Considering the universal 1-3/4 core aluminum. SuperTapp doesn't seem to make a slip-on for the Ninja/Z 400, mounting ears come with it to be welded in the proper location.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts