Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble deciding between the Akrapovic carbon exhaust and the Spark Exhaust.

Norton motorsports seems to prefer Akra for some use cases (more power lower), though thinks the Spark is a better value.
I contacted spears, and they like the spark more for it's longevity and power, where the Akra carbon doesn't handle heat or crashes as well..

My upgrade plan is slip-on -> full.

I'm fairly confident they are both legal in my state.
I don't race but would like to once I improve.
I do trackdays and am in C group.
When I ride street it's to the canyons and not for commuting.
I'm not looking to be all loud and remove baffles or anything.

Kawasaki Ninja 400 Slip-On Line (Carbon)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don’t think you can go wrong with either of those choices. Do you prefer carbon or metal? I personally like the durability of metal.. Also, Is the spark header easy to order down the road if you decide to go full system (I know the Akro is).

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 400 ABS / 2020 BMW K1600-B
9 Posts
I'm having trouble deciding between the Akrapovic carbon exhaust and the Spark Exhaust.

Norton motorsports seems to prefer Akra for some use cases (more power lower), though thinks the Spark is a better value.
I contacted spears, and they like the spark more for it's longevity and power, where the Akra carbon doesn't handle heat or crashes as well..

[/QUO
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Plant
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Motorcycle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Cloud Fuel tank Sky
Tire Wheel Cloud Fuel tank Sky

TE]
I have the full Akra w/a PC6, stock air filter, and I love it.​

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
I prefer the CSRacing exhaust as it's compact, perfect fit, looks 🥰, sounds 😍, and won't get damaged if dropped or low sided. 👍
Misnblu,

How loud is the CSRacing compared to others you have heard. I noticed that some tracks are checking sound level these days. I have read that Akra is one of the quieter full systems when using their dbkiller.

·
Registered
One engine, 2 wheels, Squid rider 😂🐙
1,055 Posts
Misnblu,

How loud is the CSRacing compared to others you have heard. I noticed that some tracks are checking sound level these days. I have read that Akra is one of the quieter full systems when using their dbkiller.
My LV10 canister slip on was 84db with the db killer installed.
I'm almost sure you'll have no issues with db on your exhaust as long as it does not go above 96 db.

That's quite loud and for every 3 db increase in volume it's 2 time louder so keep that in mind.
I will take a db test with the CSRacing exhaust when I get home just to ha e that I formation available.

When I went to Jennings GP in May there were 2-3 bikes that screamed and hurt my ears as they went by me on the track and Jennings db limit is 104.

I'd also download a free db meter to your phone to get a general idea of how loud your exhaust is.
That's what I did and revved to 5 grand at 18" away at a 45 degree angle from the rear.

Hope this helps. 🙏👍

·
Registered
155 Posts
My LV10 canister slip on was 84db with the db killer installed.
I'm almost sure you'll have no issues with db on your exhaust as long as it does not go above 96 db.

That's quite loud and for every 3 db increase in volume it's 2 time louder so keep that in mind.
I will take a db test with the CSRacing exhaust when I get home just to ha e that I formation available.

When I went to Jennings GP in May there were 2-3 bikes that screamed and hurt my ears as they went by me on the track and Jennings db limit is 104.

I'd also download a free db meter to your phone to get a general idea of how loud your exhaust is.
That's what I did and revved to 5 grand at 18" away at a 45 degree angle from the rear.

Hope this helps. 🙏👍
Indeed it does help! I did not know about the db meter app for phone, good to know. Thanks for offering the db check on the CSRacing exhaust.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Amazon Anodizing Exhaust might work as a cheap, temporary solution until you get a full exhaust. It's dirt cheap compared to name-brand options, and gives you a little extra sound, space for your foot, and weight-savings. It's not the best money can buy, but it's probably the best value out there, considering it's under $100.

• Helpful
Reactions: misnblu

·
Registered
17 Posts

I have the full Akrapovic w / carbon fiber ( DB reducer removed ) , Spears block plate , Sprint P-08 air filter and it performs as well as it looks and sounds . Of course I also have Schulz P1 velocity stacks , MotoAmerica tune by Sportbikes Unlimited with Graves / FTECU quickshifter . That's my choice .

·
Registered
119 Posts
I went with the Spark, and wish I would have gone with the Akra. The Spark, even with the baffle in, was way too loud. I sometimes use a half helmet, and the sound would drone into my ears on a uphill pull. Did not like the sound at all. Akra’s are typically a much deeper sound. Everyone that I’ve used over the years I’ve been very happy with. Worth the extra money to me.

·
Registered
One engine, 2 wheels, Squid rider 😂🐙
1,055 Posts
That CSRacing exhaust looks awesome! I was looking at it but got a little nervous about the install so I picked up a lexitek can instead. I'm happy with it but **** yours looks good bro!
The install is quite easy.
Pull off existing muffler and exhaust and head to Kawasaki for a couple of replacement exhaust gaskets. $5 for the pair and all they are is copper crush rings for the gaskets.

Next make a cut at the last weld on the collector by 35mm from that weld.
Use a hacksaw to make the cut and reinstall the exhaust header to the bike.

Take the supplied sleeve and push onto the end you cut, put clamp in sleeve, and I stall the CSRacing exhaust on and done.

The rear rake reservoir can stay where it is using the OEM foot pegs as a bracket or make a custom bracket to hold the reservoir.

Hope this helps someone wanting the CSRacing exhaust. 🤙

Attachments

·
Director of Moderation
3,527 Posts
Can't go wrong with either. I've had a Spark on mine for 4 years and it's been great. I don't find it to be as loud as some others have said. I do have the baffle in though and it's not annoyingly loud. Not like the Yosh or Graves.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have the Akra full system on my 400 and S1000R and the 400 is so much louder I have checked it for leaks 2 or 3 times. The only other non stock 400 I have seen had a Leo Vince and it was just as loud with a can only so maybe it’s just me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts