Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
I really don't like spending much on exhausts so bought a Chinese slip on off Ali Express Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
Basically I just wanted to hear the bike, save some weight, and free up heel room after shifting the pegs back about 70mm.
I've had good success with chinese slip ons on my other two 250cc bikes. The oldest slip on being about 10 years and still fine apart from the scratches I put on it myself (It can handle an ample amount of tarmac grinding...). I'm not a fan of fake branding so ordered the unbranded one. It came with a fake Acrapovic sticker I won't be using.

The Chinese slip on subjectively feels about a third of the weight of the oem muffler. It sounds decent to me. No doubt there are exhausts that sound better, but I'm not too fussed for a parallel twin.
Comes with a DB reducer that itself can be further adjusted. I'm currently running the DB reducer minus a small plate that blocks the far end of the perforated DB reducer tube. Reason being it still sounds good, but takes the edge off, and in the back of my mind I'm wanting to keep some restriction to avoid leaning the bike out when it's already on the lean edge. I'm not getting pops on deceleration, so that's good.

One issue I found with the DB reducer installed is there's enough pressure in the slip on to start oozing mystery stuff out of the joins. Construction is three piece, tip, body and base. All riveted with those bands. Initially goo came out of the join areas between the pieces, and then out of the rivet points. The white goo was a once off after the first couple of runs, then a small amount of brownish stuff from some rivet points. After wiping away progressively smaller amounts of this stuff every ride, I'm hoping it will disappear altogether. It is minor, but noticeable. Probably less/no ooze if running without DB reducer.

Install was uneventful except for the extremely tight fit between the slip on and the midpipe. I had to tap the mid pipe in by striking all around the other end with a wooden stick.
The mounting isn't as clean as more expensive options, having that stepped connecting bracket to the pillion bracket mount. Again, not something that concerns me. One of the bracket mounting bolts was much longer than needed though, so switched it out for shorter one I had lying around. After a few rides I also stripped the bolt that holds in the DB reducer when I unnecessarily tightened it further. Swapped it out for a shorter one.
I'll be ditching the pillion bracket for a cheap ebay exhaust hanger before long.

*Sound file running no DB reducer *Expired, updated link here Post info | SndUp) Note that clicking "download audio" just takes you to a web player, doesn't actually download anything.

*Sound file running part baffle (baffle with its removable block off plate removed.) Post info | SndUp

·
Registered
450 Posts
I found that I had a pretty big exhaust leak where the mid pipe met the main pipe. It wasn't the most snug fit and the exhaust was escaping along the excessively large channels cut in the mid pipe which allows the mouth to bend when clamped. Chopping up an aluminium can and wrapping around the main pipe sealed it up nearly completely. About 95% improvement.
The leak wouldn't have caused a problem really, just irritating.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Update on the brown ooz. It took a couple of months of riding, but has basically stopped. Maybe the slightest bit of stain, but nothing significant. It was mainly coming out from the one rivet pictured earlier so not a big problem really.
The ali express seller had offered to send some sealant as they admitted the muffler shouldn't be doing that. I declined as I didn't really want to be applying gunk.

I've since drilled the end of the baffle with approx 7mm drill bit and 4x 3mm, just to improve flow a tad. The untouched baffle diameter being just slightly smaller than the stock exhaust tip.

*edit, I updated original post with link of sound with part baffle installed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Its almost a year later and I have decided that my Two Brothers S1R is just too loud. Gets too much negative attention from the cops (pulled over once, loads of nasty looks from cops already bothering other drivers) and even got followed by a highway patrol guy (super closely) for a couple miles before he decided I wasnt a gang banger or something. One solution is to buy a DB killer from TB for $30. But I was wondering if anyone has used them before and how much did it reduce the DBs? May warrant another separate discussion.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Its almost a year later and I have decided that my Two Brothers S1R is just too loud. Gets too much negative attention from the cops (pulled over once, loads of nasty looks from cops already bothering other drivers) and even got followed by a highway patrol guy (super closely) for a couple miles before he decided I wasnt a gang banger or something. One solution is to buy a DB killer from TB for $30. But I was wondering if anyone has used them before and how much did it reduce the DBs? May warrant another separate discussion.
"Optional P1 (-3 to -4 db) and PX1 (-7 to -8 db) sound inserts available (sold separately)"

Man, you make it sound like an open pipe! Or you live in the shady part of town. Yep, I still got the same exhaust for almost 2 years now and yes I went with the PX1 straight away, after hearing without. Definitely not too loud. IIRC, I think it requires a repacking after 10K miles? Haven't reached that mileage yet, though 2Bros sell those too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I really don't like spending much on exhausts so bought a Chinese slip on off Ali Express Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
Basically I just wanted to hear the bike, save some weight, and free up heel room after shifting the pegs back about 70mm.
I've had good success with chinese slip ons on my other two 250cc bikes. The oldest slip on being about 10 years and still fine apart from the scratches I put on it myself (It can handle an ample amount of tarmac grinding...). I'm not a fan of fake branding so ordered the unbranded one. It came with a fake Acrapovic sticker I won't be using.

The Chinese slip on subjectively feels about a third of the weight of the oem muffler. It sounds decent to me. No doubt there are exhausts that sound better, but I'm not too fussed for a parallel twin.
Comes with a DB reducer that itself can be further adjusted. I'm currently running the DB reducer minus a small plate that blocks the far end of the perforated DB reducer tube. Reason being it still sounds good, but takes the edge off, and in the back of my mind I'm wanting to keep some restriction to avoid leaning the bike out when it's already on the lean edge. I'm not getting pops on deceleration, so that's good.

One issue I found with the DB reducer installed is there's enough pressure in the slip on to start oozing mystery stuff out of the joins. Construction is three piece, tip, body and base. All riveted with those bands. Initially goo came out of the join areas between the pieces, and then out of the rivet points. The white goo was a once off after the first couple of runs, then a small amount of brownish stuff from some rivet points. After wiping away progressively smaller amounts of this stuff every ride, I'm hoping it will disappear altogether. It is minor, but noticeable. Probably less/no ooze if running without DB reducer.

Install was uneventful except for the extremely tight fit between the slip on and the midpipe. I had to tap the mid pipe in by striking all around the other end with a wooden stick.
The mounting isn't as clean as more expensive options, having that stepped connecting bracket to the pillion bracket mount. Again, not something that concerns me. One of the bracket mounting bolts was much longer than needed though, so switched it out for shorter one I had lying around. After a few rides I also stripped the bolt that holds in the DB reducer when I unnecessarily tightened it further. Swapped it out for a shorter one.
I'll be ditching the pillion bracket for a cheap ebay exhaust hanger before long.

*Sound file running no DB reducer *Expired, updated link here Post info | SndUp) Note that clicking "download audio" just takes you to a web player, doesn't actually download anything.

*Sound file running part baffle (baffle with its removable block off plate removed.) Post info | SndUp

View attachment 11969
View attachment 11970
View attachment 11971
View attachment 11972
View attachment 11973 View attachment 11974 View attachment 11975
Don't mean to be funny but did you seriously list weight reduction as a reason for a new exhaust on a 400? ;) I could use a little more weight tearing down the highway in high winds.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Don't mean to be funny but did you seriously list weight reduction as a reason for a new exhaust on a 400? ;) I could use a little more weight tearing down the highway in high winds.
The weight reduction thing is REAL! You ahven't lived until you craete and ride a super lightweight motorcycle with a snappy engine on a winding (not straight) road!

The Kawi 400 is an unusually good combination to begin with:
  • Kawasaki did a good job in reducing weight right from the factory
  • The engine is unusually powerful for an under 400cc engine
  • The engine's dyno chart shows an unusually broad range of peak power (not one narrow rpm peak)
  • There are multiple easy weight reduction targets (Lithium verus lead acid battery, lightweight exhaust, rear fender, etc) that make menaingful weight reduction realtively much easier than on most other bikes
  • The OEM muffler itself is the single largest weight reduction target on the entire bike, rivaled only by the battery
If you primarily ride relatively straight highways, especially in windblown areas, the 400 is not the ideal bike. But if you ride primarily on roads that are winding and hilly, and not excessively windblown, the 400 is THE current bike to buy!

Jim G

·
Registered
840 Posts
My Ninjette Noire lost approximately 8 lbs (measured on a bathroom scale) when I replaced the oem exhaust with an Arrow Pro-Race. Maybe there's a performance boost, maybe not, but she looks and sounds good.

I personally haven't noticed a difference in the wind due to the exhaust, but as they say, your mileage may vary. :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
The weight reduction thing is REAL! You ahven't lived until you craete and ride a super lightweight motorcycle with a snappy engine on a winding (not straight) road!

The Kawi 400 is an unusually good combination to begin with:
  • Kawasaki did a good job in reducing weight right from the factory
  • The engine is unusually powerful for an under 400cc engine
  • The engine's dyno chart shows an unusually broad range of peak power (not one narrow rpm peak)
  • There are multiple easy weight reduction targets (Lithium verus lead acid battery, lightweight exhaust, rear fender, etc) that make menaingful weight reduction realtively much easier than on most other bikes
  • The OEM muffler itself is the single largest weight reduction target on the entire bike, rivaled only by the battery
If you primarily ride relatively straight highways, especially in windblown areas, the 400 is not the ideal bike. But if you ride primarily on roads that are winding and hilly, and not excessively windblown, the 400 is THE current bike to buy!

Jim G
I will totally agree with that!!
🐉

·
Registered
49 Posts
Kiwi: You, like me, have not been able to find an ALLOY sidestand? I understand the OEM sidestand weighs 3 lb. I have done alloy sidestands on 2 other bikes, and the drop in weight was very notable. But I can't find an alloy sidestand for the Z400 / Ninja 400, and don't know if a sidestand intended for any other Kawasaki model would fit.

Jim G

21 - 36 of 36 Posts