Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, this topic has been done to death, but is there any one place that has reviews of the most commonly encountered slip on exhaust available? I've been reading for hours, and most threads just mention a few here and there, and its getting hard to keep track. It would be nice if one could find a spot where we can see a list of exhaust options, prices, positive/negative aspects etc.

For me, I have no real issue with the stock exhaust. BUT, it is really very quiet and I feel like that is detrimental in traffic. Sure, I would like it to sound bad ass, but I dont need to, and dont need it to be overly loud either. I want it to sound nice, but also let other drivers know that I am riding next to them so that they dont drift into my lane and kill me!

Finally, I really dont want to spend a bucket of money. A lot of them are $500 and over, which seems silly for a $5,000 bike.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I know, this topic has been done to death, but is there any one place that has reviews of the most commonly encountered slip on exhaust available? It would be nice if one could find a spot where we can see a list of exhaust options, prices, positive/negative aspects etc.
Finally, I really dont want to spend a bucket of money. A lot of them are $500 and over, which seems silly for a $5,000 bike.
Every time I start to research something I get overloaded with too much info. Which slip-on you choose is no different than what oil, tire, helmet.. It comes down to what makes you happy at a price you're comfortable paying. You've already done your homework. Find a slip-on you like the looks of, in a price range you think is reasonable, from a reputable vendor, and order it. Poor quality and shoddy products don't stay on the market long enough to make it to review comparisons from testing facilities. Are any "aftermarket mods" really necessary? And are they really worth the costs? Just think of them as "investments" for future resale values.. and today's grins. :wink:

·
Registered
44 Posts
is there any one place that has reviews of the most commonly encountered slip on exhaust available?

If we build it, they will come... but seriously, for me it came down to a choice between buying a name brand that actually did R&D vs. a Chinese copy... it's not that the copies aren't as good, but without reviews, how would I know? That, plus I want the R&D manufacturers to stay in business. I bought a Scorpion RP1-GP after thinking really hard about the Akropovic and Yoshimura.

My decision was primarily about improving the sound and, secondarily, reducing the weight. Couldn't care less about ~ 1hp "gain" or cosmetics, so long as it doesn't look ugly to me...

I say to each their own, there are a ton of inexpensive choices on Ebay and Amazon and the like. Money was not so much an issue for me, but I totally get the pros and cons.

In the end, I got sick of my choice-paralysis over-analysis and dropped the money. :grin:

·
Registered
156 Posts
For a small bike, factory HP / torque is low due to emissions/noise regulations etc. Adding a full exhaust with a air filter, smog block-off plates actually may add upwards of 10% HP at rear wheel with a proper tune. That is really appreciable when you ride at the track or in a race. In that case, spending upwards of $1k is needed to be competitive.

For street/trackday riders, it is really not needed (full exhaust, tune etc.). A slip-on for just sound is sufficient, <$500. M4, Akra, Hindle are all good options, chose one that you like (or cheaper one).

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Well, I think I will be going with Two Brothers SR1. It pains me to do so, as I think its truly insane to pay 10% of the cost of the bike just for exhaust, but, well....

Anyone know where one can get them under $400?
It's a great slip-on...the sound is just amazing. If you buy it...you'll see what I mean lol. Sometimes I don't have time to ride, but I'll crank bae and sit on her and just hug the tank, while I hear the "growl". TBR knows how to make a lovely can...and it looks gorgeous too. I have the Carbon model. <3

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well, I think I will be going with Two Brothers SR1. It pains me to do so, as I think its truly insane to pay 10% of the cost of the bike just for exhaust, but, well....

Anyone know where one can get them under $400?
Check on craiglist,ebay , offer up for used exhaust if you don't wanna spend the full 400 dollars plus. I really like the way the two brothers sounds on the youtube videos( the carbon one):clap:

·
Registered
777 Posts
...I think its truly insane to pay 10% of the cost of the bike just for exhaust, but, well....
My sentiments exactly! But, well.. whether it's replacing the "cheap OEM tires, that ugly rear fender, those hideous turn signals, that poor air-flow OEM air filter... Well, you get the idea. Part of the fun of owning a smaller, reasonably affordable bike, is there are unlimited opportunities to customize with add-on's, without breaking the bank. And how many of us were looking at mods to improve our new 2 wheeled darlings, even before we had keys in hand? :angel:

·
Registered
403 Posts
I know, this topic has been done to death, but is there any one place that has reviews of the most commonly encountered slip on exhaust available? I've been reading for hours, and most threads just mention a few here and there, and its getting hard to keep track. It would be nice if one could find a spot where we can see a list of exhaust options, prices, positive/negative aspects etc.

For me, I have no real issue with the stock exhaust. BUT, it is really very quiet and I feel like that is detrimental in traffic. Sure, I would like it to sound bad ass, but I dont need to, and dont need it to be overly loud either. I want it to sound nice, but also let other drivers know that I am riding next to them so that they dont drift into my lane and kill me!

besides the look, sound, weight and budget another important aspect is to get one which does not bring the ponies down on the N400.
An example would be the Leo Vince slip on. looks and sounds good, and for 200usd it is a bargain but affects the HP negatively.

With this let me once again plant the seeds for the Hindle megaphone :devil:
200 usd, looks ok, crazy LOUD and decent quality without impacting the horses.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had the Amazon Anodize Racing Slip on for about a week before deciding just to get the Kronix titanium full system. Anyway, it wasn't a bad little slip on for $100. It looks good on the bike and sounds way better than stock. I took the time to expand the end so it actually fit instead of beating it like many of the other buyers reportedly did. Then they wonder why the welds broke... Anyway, if anybody wants to pay shipping from sunny north eastern Ohio they can have it for free.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got the Anodizing Racing slipon from Amazon too. I also did things the right way - I used an expander on the midpipe to make it fit, lined things up properly, etc. I'm not expecting miracles for $90, but I consider it to be a great value - you get a lot of exhaust for the money. I am considering one of the name-brand exhausts (I like the Spark Konix Titanium too) in the future, depending on how long this one holds up. But for now, I get a little more sound (I can actually hear what the engine's doing while I'm riding now), more room for my heel, 5.5lb weight savings, and a sleeker look. My only real complaints are the size mismatch on the midpipe, the lack of any instructions whatsoever, and the expectation of poor durability.

I'm not going to argue about whether it's easier to hear a louder exhaust, but most exhaust noise isn't very helpful for locating a bike in traffic. The bike's exhaust design tends to funnel the sound straight out the back, and low frequencies are good at reflecting off surfaces which makes it hard for human ears to tell where the sound originated. Combined with better sound insulation in cars, you shouldn't count on exhaust noise to keep you safe. My personal anecdote: I was at a T intersection (the bottom leg) while a cruiser was on the right. He went straight through, the light changed, and I made a left behind him. A couple blocks down the road, I turned right. Even with my window down, I didn't hear the bike at the intersection or while he was in front of me. When I turned, with my open window pointed right at the back of his bike, it was annoyingly loud - as loud as any Harley I've heard around here. And yet my crappy little base model Cobalt (not a posh luxury land yacht) with the window down couldn't hear him in traffic. Even with a loud exhaust, don't assume cagers can hear you, and don't assume that just because they can hear you they can tell where you are.

Reactions: TaiMc

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have a Hindle slip on for sale. On bike maybe ran it for 15 min before I pulled it off to sell. It's loud but a guy down my strret has a V Rod which is louder. plus I only track the bike. Woodcraft sells Hindle. It's the SS model. Inexpensive but I think looks good.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I couldnt wait until this weekend to install my exhaust. Just too excited. So, I opened the garage and with no shirt on and a fan in the door went to work in the 100 degree heat (hotter in the garage). Didnt keep track of the time, but less than 30 minutes even for me (someone who is not a wrench turner at all). Sounds really great (no silencer in it), and took it for a short ride afterwards. I'm just hoping the cops dont notice!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Well, I couldnt wait until this weekend to install my exhaust. Just too excited. So, I opened the garage and with no shirt on and a fan in the door went to work in the 100 degree heat (hotter in the garage). Didnt keep track of the time, but less than 30 minutes even for me (someone who is not a wrench turner at all). Sounds really great (no silencer in it), and took it for a short ride afterwards. I'm just hoping the cops dont notice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vv99f2sxp4&feature=youtu.be
Nice one, sounds like it's running a touch lean just off idle (44 - 46 second mark). This is generally the effect a slip on has on the fueling, nothing to be concerned about. Let us know how it goes on a ride, popping on decel etc.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice one, sounds like it's running a touch lean just off idle (44 - 46 second mark). This is generally the effect a slip on has on the fueling, nothing to be concerned about. Let us know how it goes on a ride, popping on decel etc.
Yea, I hear it from time to time so far. Many have suggested I get it dyno tuned, but thats another discussion. Many swear by it, others think its witchcraft.

Anyway, so far it sounds great. I've read many posts who said Two Brothers were all way too loud. It is fairly loud at lower speeds but smooths out. Any to be honest its quieter than most Harley's and much quieter than the hot rod I was next to in traffic this morning. As long as I am not doing something stupid, I think the cops will leave me alone.

No popping or backfires, etc so far and I dont expect it I suppose. Only that low rumbling gurgle on deceleration, which sounds really nice.

One small note. After I was all done installing it I took it for a short ride of a few miles. After a while there was a really nasty stink coming off it. I figured it was maybe oils or something burning off. Next day I was at a stop light and smelled it again. I remembered a Youtube video I watched, so I leaned back and sure enough, I neglected to peel off the protective plastic from the logo! I only feel slightly dumb. There are plenty of other things I can be doing wrong!

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Yea, I hear it from time to time so far. Many have suggested I get it dyno tuned, but thats another discussion. Many swear by it, others think its witchcraft...
Ha! I like it. :smile_big:
IMO it's worth doing but it comes down to do you want to spend the $$ or not?
You do need to find some one who knows what they're doing though.
I remember my first test ride around the streets from the Dyno tuners shop and it was like ' oh yeah, that's waaaay better!'

1 - 20 of 36 Posts