Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Remove the LH side fairing to gain access.

2. Pull the vapor supply line off at the fuel tank end.

3. Unclip the connector for the power supply to the purge valve solenoid:

P1000169.JPG

4. Remove the purge line at the three-way joiner where it splits into two lines before connecting to the throttle bodies:

P1000167.JPG

5. Block off the exposed line with a screw or such like.

P1000173.JPG

6.Remove the two bolts that attach the canister cradle to the frame.

P1000170.JPG

7. Remove the whole system.

P1000172.JPG

·
Registered
178 Posts
Did it throw a code from unhooking that switch? If it does, I am sure that can be removed through the ecu, or with a resistor, like is done with Kleen system removal.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Is the EVAP canister required in all non-US models? I had one in my first bike in California but I think that's the only state in the US that requires it due to stricter emission standards.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Kiwi,

Just curious, How much of a weight savings is that?
Great question! 715 grams or 1.58 lbs.

Did it throw a code from unhooking that switch? If it does, I am sure that can be removed through the ecu, or with a resistor, like is done with Kleen system removal.
Yep it brought up code 3A which is Purge valve malfunction, wiring open or short (Equipped Models)

So now I have two codes showing! Hoping to get all that cleared out with the re-flash.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Great question! 715 grams or 1.58 lbs.

Yep it brought up code 3A which is Purge valve malfunction, wiring open or short (Equipped Models)

So now I have two codes showing! Hoping to get all that cleared out with the re-flash.
What are the benefits?

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is a real interesting information and it means that Kwaki did a hard work to reduce the weight wherever they can.
With my guess of weight savings I've been a little bit off the track when I'd think the EVAP-System from the N400 has the same weight like the one from my bike (which weights around 1000 grams more) - I won't compare anymore...
That technology, like ABS units etc, just seems to be getting lighter and more compact with each model.
A good friend of mine has just bought one of the new Ducati V4 Panigale. I was looking at his EVAP canister on the wkd and it was even smaller than the N400 unit and probably lighter.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Tried this today, with the intention of also taking care of the error code.
With just the removal of the left side fairing, I ended up leaving the purge line connected to the three-way joiner but removed and plugged it at the cannister end. This was because it looks like you can't access the joiner unless you have the tank and airbox off..

To prevent the error code, take a 680 ohm half watt resistor, and cut the legs so they're about 20 mm long. The legs can then be bent around and pushed into the purge valve socket. The resistor legs are a nice fit into the socket pins and should go in about a centimeter or so.

Job done, no purge valve error code :devil:

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tried this today, with the intention of also taking care of the error code.
With just the removal of the left side fairing, I ended up leaving the purge line connected to the three-way joiner but removed and plugged it at the cannister end. This was because it looks like you can't access the joiner unless you have the tank and airbox off..

To prevent the error code, take a 680 ohm half watt resistor, and cut the legs so they're about 20 mm long. The legs can then be bent around and pushed into the purge valve socket. The resistor legs are a nice fit into the socket pins and should go in about a centimeter or so.

Job done, no purge valve error code :devil:
:sigh:

Nice work mate. Yeah my auto electrician friend said I could add a resistor to eliminate the error code but I wanted it all gone. I've got two other error codes showing anyways.

It's good to know what size ohm resistor is required for this mod though.

·
Registered
764 Posts
:sigh:

Nice work mate. Yeah my auto electrician friend said I could add a resistor to eliminate the error code but I wanted it all gone. I've got two other error codes showing anyways.

It's good to know what size ohm resistor is required for this mod though.
hey kiwi, I just noticed today my "check engine light" is on, All I did was remove the evap system, is your check engine light on after removing your evap canister?

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey kiwi, I just noticed today my "check engine light" is on, All I did was remove the evap system, is your check engine light on after removing your evap canister?
Yep, it's because you have an open circuit where you disconnected the plug. If it bothers you then you can do what kwik rider did below:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yep, it's because you have an open circuit where you disconnected the plug. If it bothers you then you can do what kwik rider did below:
LOL good idea Kiwi or here's a even better one, just use my flash tool? ;) once again kiwi you have tricked me, I went to pull the evap off only to notice you need to take the fuel tank and air filter box off in order to get to the purge line, so I got lazy and just put the 8mm bolt that was on the canister housing into the line that connects to the 3 way purge connection, you think this will do?

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL good idea Kiwi or here's a even better one, just use my flash tool? ;) once again kiwi you have tricked me, I went to pull the evap off only to notice you need to take the fuel tank and air filter box off in order to get to the purge line, so I got lazy and just put the 8mm bolt that was on the canister housing into the line that connects to the 3 way purge connection, you think this will do?
Ha, yeah I'm not big on the small details :grin:
Yep that 8mm bolt will be just fine and dandy. Maybe add some sealant as well on the thread like gasket goo.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Y'all think the tst emission block off plate kit would prevent the code it done in conjunction with the evap can removal?
Not likely, as there is a plug in valve for the evap AND air induction system. I think you would need a resistor for each one. I used a 680 ohm 1/2 watt resistor for the evap. I think the ais kit from TST comes with 1 resistor only.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not likely, as there is a plug in valve for the evap AND air induction system. I think you would need a resistor for each one. I used a 680 ohm 1/2 watt resistor for the evap. I think the ais kit from TST comes with 1 resistor only.
Correct. The TST AIS block off kit only contains AIS related parts. You will need the mentioned resistor for the evap system (unless you're doing what emudshit did with the flash tool) The good news is that resistors are cheap as ****, I got 5 for 70 cents lol

·
Registered
295 Posts
Are these evap canisters only on US bikes,ive not looked round my bike to see if its got one,tho I do not know what it looks like?

·
Registered
97 Posts
The evap canister looks like a black soda can with three hoses going to one side. Well at least that's what the ones on my other bikes looked like. That's for clarifying the different systems vs. the tst kit. Looks like going to have to stop by the local electronics store...

1 - 20 of 81 Posts