Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 500 miles from home on Easter long weekend. Bikes been going great and has nearly 2000km on the clock. Went out for a wee ride before with my mate whom Im staying with and the engine light came on . The one the same shape as an engine funnily enough.
Pulled over and checked oil level (even though I had done this pre-ride), all good and water level good too. Temperature gauge on three bars. Tried turning it off and back on again a few times hoping it may reset itself as didn't appear to be anything wrong.
Rode 30km home and txt dealer. He's a good man and replied straight away even though it's the weekend. No ideas but he suggested disconnecting battery lead but this didn't fix it either.
So I will carry on tomorrow with my tour and see what develops!
Just thought I would share that with you encase anyone has a brain wave thought.
Ps. I also took side fairings off and checked all connections.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I believe this bike has an 02 sensor? A problem with that will trigger an engine light, at least on a car. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Kiwi remember which cable you disconnected when you did your mods.
Maybe one of them lost its connection now and that'd throw a dfi-error (it must not be anything big).
But anyway go to your dealer when you're back, he can read the number and also clear it (maybe after doing any necessary changes).

Good luck.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yep, good thinking, I already checked that one. Appears all good.
You tested the sensor and found it to be good?

We've replaced a couple on our truck. The connections and sensor appeared to be fine...but the code went away when we changed it. I've also had them work erratically before, with a data logger.

I imagine it could be any of the sensors...TPS, IAT, IAP, crank position, cam position, ...etc...not sure how many this thing has, lol

Will be interesting to see what it is....

·
Registered
244 Posts
xplorguy, Pardon me, I just copied and pasted so everyone doesn't need to scroll through the long thread to find it

If the Verys 300 is the same process as the N400 (here is the procedure for the Versys 300) :

How To Read Service Codes:

Turn on ignition.
Push the upper meter button to display the odometer.
Push the upper meter button and Iower meter button for more than 2 seconds.
The service code is displayed on the LCD instead of odometer. Multiple codes will be displayed in a sequence with the interval of 2 seconds.
Turn on/turn off the ignition to return the display to the normal operation mode.

How To Erase Service Codes:

Turn on the ignition and start the engine.
Keep the idling more than 30 seconds.
Run the bike for more than 5 minutes at a speed of 25 mph or more.
Stop after the engine has been running for more than 10 minutes. Turn the ignition switch off.
Repeat the above procedures 3 times.

Service Codes:

11 Main throttle sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
12 Intake air pressure sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
13 Intake air temperature sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
14 Water temperature sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
21 Crankshaft sensor malfunction, wiring open or short
24 Rear wheel rotation sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
25 Gear position sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
31 Vehicle-down sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
32 Sub throttle sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
33 Oxygen sensor malfunction or Inactivate, wiring open or short.
39 ECU communication error
41 Fuel injector #1 malfunction, wiring open or short.
42 Fuel injector #2 malfunction, wiring open or short.
51 Stick coil #1 malfunction, wiring open or short.
52 Stick coil #2 malfunction, wiring open or short.
56 Radiator fan relay malfunction, wiring open or short.
62 Subthrottle valve actuator malfunction, wiring open or short.
64 Air switching valve malfunction, wiring open or short.
67 Oxygen sensor heater malfunction, wiring open or short.
94 Fuel supply system malfunction
3A Purge valve malfunction, wiring open or short (Equipped Models)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Cause of engine light ( from Versys 300 thread, Gearing?)

I'm 500 miles from home on Easter long weekend. Bikes been going great and has nearly 2000km on the clock. Went out for a wee ride before with my mate whom Im staying with and the engine light came on . The one the same shape as an engine funnily enough.
Pulled over and checked oil level (even though I had done this pre-ride), all good and water level good too. Temperature gauge on three bars. Tried turning it off and back on again a few times hoping it may reset itself as didn't appear to be anything wrong.
Rode 30km home and txt dealer. He's a good man and replied straight away even though it's the weekend. No ideas but he suggested disconnecting battery lead but this didn't fix it either.
So I will carry on tomorrow with my tour and see what develops!
Just thought I would share that with you encase anyone has a brain wave thought.
Ps. I also took side fairings off and checked all connections.
Kiwi, This may be just food for thought. The Versys 300 thread that had the engine codes in it was initiated due to a gearing change one of the forum members had made on his bike and the result was a check engine light enabled.
I saw where you had made a gearing change on your bike (installed a 38 tooth rear sprocket) and was wondering if this is what set off the check engine light? Which, if you did a power outage (removed cable from battery) normally this would reset it and it wouldn't come right back on. It may come on a few miles down the road though. Leaves me wondering this may not be the case in your situation (you had stated battery cable removal did not fix it).
Wish you the best and hope you are not out stranded Easter weekend. Safe riding!

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey thanks for the replies guys, not too much time to type as I got over 400 miles to mow down today but what a task to have in front of you on a sunny autumn day!
So I'm having a coffee stop after doing over 100 miles over an Alpine pass (chilly!) and the bike hasn't missed a beat so feeling pretty relaxed about the situation.
Yes I tried to get the code out last nite using the method you suggested and others. Doesn't seem to work . Just wants to reset the clock time!
Also wondering if it is related to gearing mod but I think this unlikely and if so it would probably come on straight away, not 500miles later.
Anyways, onwards ! Loving the ride and the bike so far, can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing.:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
@xplorguy and @rde09 you'd come up with a real good information.

And now when I read in the thread of the Versys forum on page 6 the following comment:
"Are Kawasaki telling me that they are bound by law not to suggest or rectify modifications - but that their authorised dealers can? and will? That is not the impression the dealer gave me.
"In regards to the gearing change and the effects of this.
Kawasaki Motors sincerely hopes you understand our legal position when we advise you that due to Australian federal and state legislation, as the manufacturer’s representative and authorised importer and distributor of Kawasaki motorcycles to Australia, our company is legally constrained to comment or suggest any modification away from standard as per the manufacturers original design and factory shipment unless offered by Kawasaki Motors as an authorised Kawasaki factory alternative.
Having said that, the same restrictions do not apply to our authorised Kawasaki motorcycle dealers who are very familiar with all aspects of Kawasaki motorcycles.
To perhaps help you understand the situation though, modern fuel injection and rider/driver aid systems are complex and often rely on a predetermined set of parameters to operate off so as to ensure the product performs exactly as intended by the factory. Any modifications away from factory fitment may result in undesirable conditions and in this instance, this may be what you are experiencing. As you are modifying the unit away from factory specifications, unfortunately there is no information we can offer you to rectify the situation.
We see from your letter that you have been dealing with Queensland Bike and 4WD and therefore we can only suggest that you please remain in contact with your preferred authorised Kawasaki motorcycle dealer as the staff at all Kawasaki dealerships have been trained and really are the people best suited to assist you with your enquiries.
Alternatively you can locate any authorised Kawasaki motorcycle dealership by visiting our public website at Kawasaki Australia | Motorcycles | Jet Skis | RUV | ATV's and under the menu option “Dealers”, utilise the dealer locator function.

Kind regards

Tony Janicska
TSD Assistant - Dealer Tech Support"

Link: Kawasaki Versys Forum - View Single Post - Versys x300 - Sprockets/Re-gearing Causes Engine Fault Light

Plus then when I recall the Euro 4 requirements in http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32013R0168&from=EN
and there read on page 17 from 77 in article 20 no. 1
"1. Vehicle manufacturers shall equip L-category vehicles with the exception of subcategories L3e-A3 and L4e-A3, with designated features to prevent tampering of a vehicle’s power train, by means of a series of technical requirements and specifications with the aim:
(a) to prevent modifications that may prejudice safety, in particular by increasing vehicle performance through tampering with the powertrain in order to increase the
maximum torque and/or power and/or maximum design vehicle speed which have been duly established during the type-approval procedure as followed by the manufacturer of the vehicle"

it becomes more clear that they try to make any modifications impossible when one reads all the regulations in the above document.

In an easy saying: Make a mod against the rules from Euro 4 and your bike is not street-legal any longer and don't forget that this because of OBD is checkable whenever one wants to do.

But also let me make it very clear that all this is up to anybody by him-/herself and is not my business.

The newer the systems become the more they are restricted (one reason why I never update beyong Android 6 Marshmallow).

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, so tonite (after a trouble free day) I had time to read the info on the Versys forum that you guys kindly provided links too. I must apologise for being initially dismissive of this theory because this IS the same problem as mine in a nut shell. Once you change the gearing by more than 7% (I changed mine by 8%) it is outside of the operating parameters of the gear position sensor and it malfunctions.
What threw me off that idea was that it took 500 miles before it showed this fault, but it appears this has been the case with other riders too.
Also... When I tried to retrieve the error code last night I didn't have it showing the Odo reading first. I had mine set to trip A for my fuel mileage. I did it properly tonight and got error code #25 which is gear position sensor malfunction.
So there we are, nothing to sweat about after all!
I just wonder if there is a way to over ride it?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm right with what I say, but in the 250 it looks like the attached picture.
There's a speed table in the ECU and maybe it'll work when you flash this (let's hope that Kwaki doesn't have a backup or second map for this).

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
OK, so tonite (after a trouble free day) I had time to read the info on the Versys forum that you guys kindly provided links too. I must apologise for being initially dismissive of this theory because this IS the same problem as mine in a nut shell. Once you change the gearing by more than 7% (I changed mine by 8%) it is outside of the operating parameters of the gear position sensor and it malfunctions.
What threw me off that idea was that it took 500 miles before it showed this fault, but it appears this has been the case with other riders too.
Also... When I tried to retrieve the error code last night I didn't have it showing the Odo reading first. I had mine set to trip A for my fuel mileage. I did it properly tonight and got error code #25 which is gear position sensor malfunction.
My 14R has a similar problem. No code, but with a change to shorter gearing it will buck and sputter. I fitted a "TRE". It makes the bike think it is in 6th gear all of the time. A similar mod could be made for the 400, easily I suppose, to fix this. It is a matter of the resistance that the gps shows. The only drawback is that the indicator always shows 6th gear.

For your app, it seems you could also go to a 39T and make it go away?

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My 14R has a similar problem. No code, but with a change to shorter gearing it will buck and sputter. I fitted a "TRE". It makes the bike think it is in 6th gear all of the time. A similar mod could be made for the 400, easily I suppose, to fix this. It is a matter of the resistance that the gps shows. The only drawback is that the indicator always shows 6th gear.

For your app, it seems you could also go to a 39T and make it go away?
Interesting, I was wondering what sorts of solutions there might be. I think I will stick with the 38T tho, I like it too much.
Was wondering if come ECU re-flash time I might be able to get it sorted out?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Interesting, I was wondering what sorts of solutions there might be. I think I will stick with the 38T tho, I like it too much.
Was wondering if come ECU re-flash time I might be able to get it sorted out?
I'm not sure. On the 14R I don't think it was ever fixed, reliably, through the ECU.

I have a bunch of Woolich ECU flashing hardware, have been thinking about adding the 400 to it. But, that would come later, for sure.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Valid process to retrieve codes

It is good to know we have a valid process to retrieve codes from the dash and possibly we have the correct codes corresponding to issues at hand.

Hope the ride was a good one and the trip was a safe one.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts