Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I have had my bike standing for two months in the garage because of bad weather, I went for a ride today and found that my yellow engine warning light stays on all the time, The service manual says to check the DFI diagnosis, but everything seems to be working OK, Does anyone know of a common problem with this warning light, Thanks KIERAN.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Rich, Thanks for your reply, I have done the self-diagnosis and it comes up with the service code 33 OXYGEN SENSOR it says that it sends a message to the ECU, do I really need a new sensor or can I just delete the engine warning light.

· Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS, Pearl Storm Gray
787 Posts
And I guess my first question would be if you expect that code -- did you remove the sensor, or did it fail, or did a wire break going to it? If the latter, you may need to track that down depending on where the break is, even before you can use the eliminator or a replacement part. I'd do a careful inspection for mice and stuff, and try to follow the wires from your sensor to the main harness.

Also, it is possible this is a "historical" code, not a "current" code, in which case the question would be if you ever started the engine with the sensor disconnected (which would explain it)? A "historical" code will eventually age out of the system and the light will go off by itself, but a "current" code will come back over and over... The way I tell the difference is by clearing the code using an OBD-II reader and harness, but you can also do like 3x 15 minute rides meeting various conditions indicated in the service manual snip below to try and clear it -- the question you are trying to answer is will the code come back, or is it a "one off"?

Font Rectangle Circle Magenta Paper

If you want to try an OBD-II reader and harness, there is info here (the main thing you need to know is there are multiple harnesses -- you have to see if you have a red connector or a white one -- don't use a black connector you find):

(1) DIY Code Reading / Clearing via ODB2 | Page 2 | Ninja 400 Riders Forum
(1) How to clear CEL without driving procedure? | Ninja 400 Riders Forum

· Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS, Pearl Storm Gray
787 Posts
I have stock exhaust
Then you want to check the wiring to the sensor -- make sure everything is plugged in and solid... If it is a historical code, it will eventually age out of the system, or you can try clearing it like above... I'd probably suggest getting an OBD-II reader to clear codes like above if you start replacing parts -- otherwise you're constrained to guessing what codes are actually current every three rides -- which makes for slow diagnosis... There is a procedure in the service manual for testing the oxygen sensor, but it is a bit of a mystery to me.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Then you want to check the wiring to the sensor -- make sure everything is plugged in and solid... If it is a historical code, it will eventually age out of the system, or you can try clearing it like above... I'd probably suggest getting an OBD-II reader to clear codes like above if you start replacing parts -- otherwise you're constrained to guessing what codes are actually current every three rides -- which makes for slow diagnosis... There is a procedure in the service manual for testing the oxygen sensor, but it is a bit of a mystery to me.
Thanks for all your help rich, The 3 rides did the trick, and The engine warning light is out, Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts