Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and new to the world of smaller displacement bikes. I came from the liter bike scene and 600’s to the all mighty 400 I have now. I know I love this machine but I also pretty much live on it. Already done an 800 mile road trip do 200-300 mile trips quite often and am nearing the 5000 mile mark on this machine. I commute for work, fun, store runs it never stops lol.
Iam religious about oil changes and did a normal ride like normal break in. Did first oil/filter change at 250 miles then at a thousand and swap oil and filter out every thousand miles. But even with that being a smaller displacement bike, how long can this machine really last? I know it does freeway speeds just fine but those rpms are up there regardless. You smaller bike experts out there know better then me. Can these be a high mileage machine before giving up the ghost?

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Loadsa riders have done more than 100K kms (60K miles) on the 300's so can't see why the 400 shouldn't do similar mileages if serviced regularly.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and new to the world of smaller displacement bikes. I came from the liter bike scene and 600’s to the all mighty 400 I have now. I know I love this machine but I also pretty much live on it. Already done an 800 mile road trip do 200-300 mile trips quite often and am nearing the 5000 mile mark on this machine. I commute for work, fun, store runs it never stops lol.
Iam religious about oil changes and did a normal ride like normal break in. Did first oil/filter change at 250 miles then at a thousand and swap oil and filter out every thousand miles. But even with that being a smaller displacement bike, how long can this machine really last? I know it does freeway speeds just fine but those rpms are up there regardless. You smaller bike experts out there know better then me. Can these be a high mileage machine before giving up the ghost?
Hi Tharken..

My Ninja 250 has over 27k miles and still runs like banshee, lol you wanna talk about being in the high RPM range... Trick to getting high millage out of bikes is to let the oil start flowing thoroughly before riding. Even all warmed up, after you park the bike and go into a store for even 5 minutes you should let the engine Idle for 20-30 seconds before taking off.

When the bike is cold let it idle while you put your gloves and helmet on and lock your place up, Never start the bike and Immediately take off. Even letting the bike Idle for 60 seconds while putting on your gloves and helmet, and then riding at a low RPM for 1/2 a mile to warm it up will do less damage then starting and taking off Immediately.

The only issue as of right now is this is a newly designed first year motor that they may need to work the kinks out of, but any well maintained bike should make 60k+ miles and more if well maintained.

Keep in mind high wear items like chains, chain guards, sprockets, tires, brake pads, rotors, grips, cables that never seem to get lubed, clutch pads, batteries, bulbs, sealed wheel bearings, air filter, Injectors & valve tappets amongst others will need to be changed through out the life of the bike. The plus side is all these maintenance items can purchased from after market sources and replaced by its operator saving thousands over taking it to a repair shop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts