Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem like a stupid question but seeing I come from only cruisers what do you use for engine guards I never see them on sport bikes but I know people have to drop them? Do you always replace the plastic pieces that break at every fall? I could never afford that if that is the case, then again I have not dropped a bike in a couple of years but there is always that one time when you are uneven payment and the bike goes down. Seeing I never ridden a sport bike I could be over reacting and worrying about nothing but I like to take all precautions I can. Sorry for all the questions you are going to think I never rode a bike.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Sometimes you just have to suck it up when you own a sports bike and ditch it!
I had to get a new RH side fairing for the CBR300 after a spill but because these bikes are made in Thailand the replacement fairings are not that bad cost wise. I paid $180 NZD for mine which is about $130 USD.

·
Registered
460 Posts
is it better not to put sliders on these bikes?
For street riding sure why not. Just be warned that in most accidents the frame slider will break the mounting point of the bolt. Lets say you have to remove the bolt that mounts the engine to the frame to install the slider, the bike goes down, your fairings are saved, you go to replace the slider as it is damaged and you see your mounting point for the frame is broke 0_o. Now you have a damaged slider and the mounting point for your engine is broke also.

as @Kiwi Rider said sometimes it better just to suck it up and buy the new fairing side you need.

Dont get me wrong I use them on my street bike, but never on my race bikes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Frame sliders are good if you drop your bike going 0 mph/kph, meaning it's stationary while parked or when you're moving it with your feet and you accidentally drop it. That will protect the fairings from some scratches from the asphalt and pavement.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm really old old school, 52 years of riding with non of my motorcycles having crash protection parts. Made up my mind decades ago that I wouldn't drop or crash my bikes. Ok, a few fell over in he drive way due to not securing the kick stand.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
I've never had sliders either, but I have laid bikes on their side at speed a couple of times. Only lost my oil once on a BMW because the cylinders stick out in the breeze. Other than that its just been usual stuff damaged like broken indicators, levers, foot pegs plus scratches to fiberglass that perhaps could have been minimized with sliders. I've never actually smashed a whole fairing up yet. Touch wood.
To fit protection or not is a bit like do you run full synthetic oil or semi. Everyone has their own comfort point.

·
Super Moderator
1,305 Posts
My Ducati is the first bike that I have had with sliders. I haven't laid a bike down, yet. I am seriously thinking of removing them because every time I put my feet down, I hit my shins on them. I'm not sure if I am asking for something by removing them o_O .

Hey Kiwi, you trying to steer this conversation to your favorite subject?😂 "run full synthetic oil or semi". I remember there was a time when you were Mod, you wouldn't even hint that dirty three letter word!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
My frame slider mounting point on my bike broke when I took a dive with it at 30kmh. Piece of ****. Go with Engine case guards, spool at the rear and front axle sliders. Cheers.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
...Hey Kiwi, you trying to steer this conversation to your favorite subject?😂 "run full synthetic oil or semi". I remember there was a time when you were Mod, you wouldn't even hint that dirty three letter word!!
Do you mean OIL?? ... And now breath out.... and in.
I can say this word without a panic attack now. That counselling was worth the $$ :giggle:

·
Registered
783 Posts
Do you mean OIL?? ... And now breath out.... and in.
I can say this word without a panic attack now. That counselling was worth the $$ :giggle:
AMonkey.. Don't let him fool you,.. It's because he no longer has the responsibility of the Magic Wand you've so graciously taken upon yourself. Counseling nothing! :cautious:

·
Registered
462 Posts
A good thread including pics of the danger of single point cantilevered sliders. I have multi point mounted sliders which I haven't tested thankfully.

Engine covers/protectors

1 - 14 of 14 Posts