Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know, or has anyone used Gerbing or equivalent heated gear on the Ninja 400?

I may need to take mine on an upcoming trip. I will probably only use the jacket liner. I am just not sure if the system will support this added draw.

I know a few riders here have the heated grips. But, looking for experience with the wearable gear.
Thanks
RK

·
Registered
78 Posts
If it helps, according to the service manual, the alternator can generate 21A at 14V, so about 300W (edit: at 5000 rpm) -- the bike itself seems to draw about 40W steady state (low beam, idling)?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think the bike draws more than 40 w, considering the ECU, fuel pump, instrument cluster and tail light. My previous Kawasaki, a Ninja 650, had a 350 watt alternator. I had a voltmeter on it, and if I was running heated grips and a Girbing heated vest, the battery would be discharging unless the revs were above 4,000.

I consider the low output of the Ninja 400 alternator to be one of the weak points of the bike that helped me decide not to keep it and stick with my Honda cbr500r, with a 500 watt alternator.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was expecting it to be a lot more, but I measured 2.5A on a meter powering the running (albeit idling) bike thru a 5A fuse during some hotwiring experiments. I was really surprised. Of course, I was not running the horn or turn signals and such, not even the brake lights, but the headlight and tail light were on. I did see 4A immediately after start.

PS I'm trying to get a post up telling everyone to remove their accessory fuse, but it is stuck awaiting approval.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
I use a 90w Warm & Safe heated jacket, without any issues; you just gotta keep her above 8K RPM!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
J
I was expecting it to be a lot more, but I measured 2.5A on a meter powering the running (albeit idling) bike thru a 5A fuse during some hotwiring experiments. I was really surprised. Of course, I was not running the horn or turn signals and such, not even the brake lights, but the headlight and tail light were on. I did see 4A immediately after start.

PS I'm trying to get a post up telling everyone to remove their accessory fuse, but it is stuck awaiting approval.
The Gerbing site says the jacket liner draws 6.4 amps. Fwiw

·
Registered
49 Posts
For what it's worth, the Yamaha R3 I had a couple of years back also had a modest alternator output, but I had no trouble running a Harley heated vest AND Harley heated gloves simultaneously. Like our 400s, the R3 was a high revver with a very similar rpm operating range.

Jim G

1 - 7 of 7 Posts