Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
I guess I have been lucky cause in the 3100+ miles I have put on my bike I have experienced zero issues with clutch slip and that includes 2 track days and lots of aggressive street/canyon riding constantly shifting near redline. I do keep a close eye on the small amount of free play I adjust my clutch lever to have. I have added a Spears clutch return spring and I’m not sure it really does much...
If you change 3100+ miles to 7200+ miles then my story mirrors yours. Return spring only thing I've done. Similar riding and same amount of track days. So yeah, I'm not sure if I just got lucky as well or what?? I am a cable free play Nazi though and warn friends before they get on my bike that they will hate the clutch. ie too much free play and no feel to it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ugh, I hadn’t thought about the possible clutch issue. I’m still breaking mine in, sort of, just 300 miles on the clock. No clutch slip yet and not looking to tear the bike apart and rebuild every aspect of it.
Definitely interested in hearing how your install goes and how it sounds yarddog. Being stock, I can’t even hear the exhaust, but like the intake induction roar. I’d like something I can actual hear with a mild exhaust note but not obnoxious.

·
Registered
725 Posts
getting close to a write up!! ECU is back, along with Barnett springs, the clutch cable mod and a longer clutch pull rod to help prevent clutch slip as the clutch discs wear. still waiting for the velocity stacks to ship, so i am not going to ride the bike until i have these installed. probably would not cause an issue, but since the ecu map is tuned for the stacks, i dont want to run it without them. the eom stacks are very odd looking. a short one, and one long stack that looks like an elephant trunk with a soft 45 degree angle to it. i can only guess they did two different sizes in an attempt to have one cylinder perform better at lower rpm, the other at high rpm. on paper it sounds good, but i can't see how having two cylinders performing differently is a good thing.

stickers came with the box, which is the only reason to buy fancy parts right?! my tool cart at work is adorned with new stickers now. i can see over two grand in stickers off the top of my head on a 150 dollar Harbor Freight tool cart. lol

My Priorities are in order!!!

so lets cross our fingers for a fast shipping time for the stacks and we will be one our way!!!

·
Registered
725 Posts
@yarddog why is he taking so long to ship you the vstacks? I would have thought he would ship the v stacks back with your ecu. Weird

it was either an oversight or the stacks are back-ordered...

I'm not bad mouthing Jesse or Norton Motorsports, and i am not mad or anything like that. i am wondering just as you are, why they didn't ship with the rest of the stuff.

all the Graves stuff was shipped in a package together, straight from Graves.

and all the Norton stuff came today, save for the stacks.

really stoked to ride this bike again. especially after all the changes.

at least i can install the ecu, finish tucking the quick shift wiring, i can finish the setup on the quick shifter, and replace the clutch springs in the meantime. I hope they ship soon though.

as long as these parts perform like he says they do, I'll still be a happy customer!!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Just spoke to Jesse, they had sold out of the stacks, and mine are being mailed today. he also mentioned during the conversation they are Urethane, i think @b0Xcrash had asked me if i knew what the material was.

with any luck I'll have the ole gal back together late this week, and have a full write up on my impression and thoughts on this setup.

·
Registered
47 Posts
getting close to a write up!! ECU is back, along with Barnett springs, the clutch cable mod and a longer clutch pull rod to help prevent clutch slip as the clutch discs wear. still waiting for the velocity stacks to ship, so i am not going to ride the bike until i have these installed. probably would not cause an issue, but since the ecu map is tuned for the stacks, i dont want to run it without them. the eom stacks are very odd looking. a short one, and one long stack that looks like an elephant trunk with a soft 45 degree angle to it. i can only guess they did two different sizes in an attempt to have one cylinder perform better at lower rpm, the other at high rpm. on paper it sounds good, but i can't see how having two cylinders performing differently is a good thing.

stickers came with the box, which is the only reason to buy fancy parts right?! my tool cart at work is adorned with new stickers now. i can see over two grand in stickers off the top of my head on a 150 dollar Harbor Freight tool cart. lol

My Priorities are in order!!!

so lets cross our fingers for a fast shipping time for the stacks and we will be one our way!!!
The clutch springs are real easy to install.. You’ll like how it feels when you get them in there..

·
Registered
725 Posts
The clutch springs are real easy to install.. You’ll like how it feels when you get them in there..
i put barnett springs in my 650 due to clutch slipping, i really liked them.

Reactions: genx400

·
Registered
725 Posts
I got the bike put back together tonight and took it out for a trip around town. With the Velocity stacks, Graves full exhaust, ECU Norton flash, Barnett springs and clutch cable spring mod this bike feels completely different! The response is amazing, this thing totes the front tire like it’s nothing! Blipping the throttle at idle this bike is ready to run!! Instant revs, I only had it on open highway for about a mile, ran it through third gear and was very impressed. Looking forward to taking it for a longer run Sunday morning.

If you are thinking about having your ECU flashed , I would highly recommend Norton Motorsports

·
Registered
28 Posts
I heard you have a street tune also for stock bikes. Do you lose low end torque with the velocity stacks? Do you have a dyno graph of a stock 400 with just the street tune?

192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The dyno for a stock bike isn't that much different, just a couple HP down through the power curve. You won't be disappointed adding the Vstacks and tune with a stock exhaust, it's still a major improvement. I recommend changing the front sprocket from a 14 to a 13 at the same time to make proper use of the different power band with the Vstacks.
Cheers

·
Registered
57 Posts
The dyno for a stock bike isn't that much different, just a couple HP down through the power curve. You won't be disappointed adding the Vstacks and tune with a stock exhaust, it's still a major improvement. I recommend changing the front sprocket from a 14 to a 13 at the same time to make proper use of the different power band with the Vstacks.
Cheers
Is that sprocket recommendation the same for full system + Vstacks/Tune?

192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Yeah, with the Vstacks, the power band is much higher in the rev range and you can use much shorter gearing. Dropping the front sprocket from a 14 to a 13 is cheap and easy and makes a huge difference. You can also go +1 in the rear from a 41 to a 42 without tripping the ECU and causing a check engine light and gear position indicator to stop working. But if you go more than that, it causes it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks Jesse, I'll be putting another order in with you shortly.

Anyone on the fence, the Norton setup with full system, stacks, and tune makes everything about the bike so much better. Sound, power, throttle response, smoothness, etc

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, with the Vstacks, the power band is much higher in the rev range and you can use much shorter gearing. Dropping the front sprocket from a 14 to a 13 is cheap and easy and makes a huge difference. You can also go +1 in the rear from a 41 to a 42 without tripping the ECU and causing a check engine light and gear position indicator to stop working. But if you go more than that, it causes it.
Thanks, my next question was going to be of the gear indicator still worked after dropping down one in the front or if you corrected it with the tune

192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Thanks, my next question was going to be of the gear indicator still worked after dropping down one in the front or if you corrected it with the tune
We can't do anything about the gear indicator in the flash. It will work until you change gearing about 7%, then it will stop working. So from what I've seen, you're safe to go down 1 tooth in the front and even 1 tooth up in the rear, but not more than that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I finally got to take a test ride on my Z after installing the Superlite 13T sprocket I ordered from Norton. With the full tune/exhaust/stacks setup and the new sprocket the bike feels like it is always in the meat of the powerband.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I finally got to take a test ride on my Z after installing the Superlite 13T sprocket I ordered from Norton. With the full tune/exhaust/stacks setup and the new sprocket the bike feels like it is always in the meat of the powerband.
Did it trip the CEL and gear indicator to stop working. Looking to change my sprocket soon

41 - 60 of 60 Posts