Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Do you have any maps with these mods available for the aRacer ECU?
Yes I do, and we'll have lots of tuning maps and data for the aRacer RC2 since that's what's on our bikes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I been lurking on the site for a while. I picked up a 19 Z 400 a few months ago. Unfortunately, I still haven’t finished the break in period yet and I’m already looking at all the goodies Norton offers.
If I purchase the Como pack with velocity stacks ,ECU reflash and a Graves exhaust and drop in an aftermarket filter. Will I have any issues with cel lights/ codes? Definitely would like the power upgrades and smooth out the jerky throttle response. Anything else I need to purchase or mod?

·
Registered
725 Posts
This is the same combo I ordered. They will disable the O2 sensor when they flash the ecu. If you are going to block off the PAIR valve I am not sure if it will log a fault for the pair valve being unplugged and removed. I sent Jesse a email about this but it being the weekend I imagine he is not sitting around looking at emails to respond to. They do make a jumper plug for the block off. I didn’t get it since I figured that would be disabled with a flash. But you know what ASSuming will get you haha.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Jessie emailed me and said as long as I didn’t have a fault logged then I should be ok after the flash. But I MAY log a fault for the pair valve later. Said the 400 is a little picky about faults.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Jessie emailed me and said as long as I didn’t have a fault logged then I should be ok after the flash. But I MAY log a fault for the pair valve later. Said the 400 is a little picky about faults.
If thats the case then just do the error code clearing three ride sequence thing.

·
Registered
725 Posts
jessie emailed me and said as long as i didn’t have a fault logged then i should be ok after the flash. But i may log a fault for the pair valve later. Said the 400 is a little picky about faults.
if thats the case then just do the error code clearing three ride sequence thing.
10-4

·
Registered
119 Posts
Let us know how your order and install goes. I bet its gonna transform the bike. I am saving up for the vstacks myself, gonna be my final mod on the engine. I also highly suggest the TST smog blockoff kit from norton motorsport. Easy install, does not throw a code and gets rid of the pair system in a neat and clean way.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Let us know how your order and install goes. I bet its gonna transform the bike. I am saving up for the vstacks myself, gonna be my final mod on the engine. I also highly suggest the TST smog blockoff kit from norton motorsport. Easy install, does not throw a code and gets rid of the pair system in a neat and clean way.
Will do. Order has shipped and scheduled to be delivered Monday. I’ve been three weeks without my bike. I am past the tremors but still have cold sweats and nightmares.

192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Will do. Order has shipped and scheduled to be delivered Monday. I’ve been three weeks without my bike. I am past the tremors but still have cold sweats and nightmares.
haha, you're going to love it, can't wait to hear your first impression! Definitely install a blockoff plate, or you'll get tons of backfiring.

·
Registered
119 Posts
@yarddog have you done any clutch mods yet? I can’t imagine the stock set up is gonna handle the extra power very well from what I have read.
Even before power mods the stock clutch setup is in a bad way. I've done Barnett springs and the clutch arm spring and at peak rpms the clutch slip is killing me. I am thinking an upgraded set of clutch plates will be mandatory for this bike

·
Registered
725 Posts
@yarddog have you done any clutch mods yet? I can’t imagine the stock set up is gonna handle the extra power very well from what I have read.
i ordered barnett springs, and the longer clutch rod or whatever its called. if i still have slipping, then i'll tear it back down and replace the friction discs and such with good stuff. prolly go ahead and do the shift arm as well at that point.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Even before power mods the stock clutch setup is in a bad way. I've done Barnett springs and the clutch arm spring and at peak rpms the clutch slip is killing me. I am thinking an upgraded set of clutch plates will be mandatory for this bike
I guess I have been lucky cause in the 3100+ miles I have put on my bike I have experienced zero issues with clutch slip and that includes 2 track days and lots of aggressive street/canyon riding constantly shifting near redline. I do keep a close eye on the small amount of free play I adjust my clutch lever to have. I have added a Spears clutch return spring and I’m not sure it really does much. I may look into the Norton Ninja400R Clutch Shaft/Cable Spring and Spacer Kit which uses washers for the clutch return spring and I think might work better than the Spears return spring that doesn’t use washers. I definitely plan to do more clutch upgrades before I get the vstacks, headers, and ecu flash.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I guess I have been lucky cause in the 3100+ miles I have put on my bike I have experienced zero issues with clutch slip and that includes 2 track days and lots of aggressive street/canyon riding constantly shifting near redline. I do keep a close eye on the small amount of free play I adjust my clutch lever to have. I have added a Spears clutch return spring and I’m not sure it really does much. I may look into the Norton Ninja400R Clutch Shaft/Cable Spring and Spacer Kit which uses washers for the clutch return spring and I think might work better than the Spears return spring that doesn’t use washers. I definitely plan to do more clutch upgrades before I get the vstacks, headers, and ecu flash.
mine will slip when releasing the clutch when running through the gears, and i have felt it slip in fifth or six gear near redline. i have a feeling i will be replacing this clutch pretty soon. i wish they wouldn't skimp so much on the clutch setups. my ninja 650 was the same way. wouldn't do a clutch up wheelie without slipping. a set of barnett springs and it was still great when i sold the bike with about 28,000 miles. hard miles too. i run my bikes hard. i take care of them, and maintain them as i see fit but i feel like it was made to run. so RUN it does.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts