Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have optimized our Norton Race Spec ECU Flash for the Ninja 400 to be paired with the top exhaust systems like Akrapovic, Spark, and Graves using our Ninja400R Velocity stacks and the performance is off the charts. So good that I can't even believe it myself and I've added a couple package deals to the website so you all can enjoy this upgrade.

Look at this power curve! 4 more HP up top compared to just the full exhaust without really sacrificing anything in the midrange!!! That's +7 HP compared to stock! How can you not install this setup on your Ninja 400???

Improvement with Norton ECU Flash and a Spark exhaust compared to Norton Flash with Spark exhaust and our Ninja400R Velocity Stacks:

Top exhausts, Graves, Spark, and Akrapovic with Norton Flash and Ninja400R Velocity Stacks:

$100 Off exhaust, Ninja400R Velocity stacks and Norton ECU Flash Package

And if you already have an exhaust, here's $50 off just the Ninja400R Velocity Stacks and Norton ECU Flash

·
Registered
909 Posts
Yesss! The little N400 getting his balls back!

@ Jesse,

From the picture, it looks like the tuning was done with an MWR air filter. How much power will be lost using the stock air filter with this kit? I'd prefer the longer filter service interval.

Also could you explain how this flash tuning will run with varying climate temperatures like 3 or 4 season riding.

192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yesss! The little N400 getting his balls back!

@ Jesse,

From the picture, it looks like the tuning was done with an MWR air filter. How much power will be lost using the stock air filter with this kit? I'd prefer the longer filter service interval.

Also could you explain how this flash tuning will run with varying climate temperatures like 3 or 4 season riding.
I actually dyno tested the stock vs MWR filter in a couple different situations here so you can see exactly what it does:
Kawasaki Ninja 400 Exhaust Dyno Shootout!

I'm working on getting the BMC filters in stock as a good replacement for the MWR for street and track day guys who want a longer service interval, but we do have the DNA filters available which are similar if you'd rather have a washable high performance filter for street use:
DNA Air Filter - Kawasaki Ninja 400

The bike will run just like it did stock across various air and elevation conditions. It will work fine, but it will lose power as conditions become less optimal. I am able to optimize the tuning for an elevation other than see level if you'd like, in the case that you live in Utah or Colorado or something and always ride at higher elevation.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I actually dyno tested the stock vs MWR filter in a couple different situations here so you can see exactly what it does:
Kawasaki Ninja 400 Exhaust Dyno Shootout!

I'm working on getting the BMC filters in stock as a good replacement for the MWR for street and track day guys who want a longer service interval, but we do have the DNA filters available which are similar if you'd rather have a washable high performance filter for street use:
DNA Air Filter - Kawasaki Ninja 400

The bike will run just like it did stock across various air and elevation conditions. It will work fine, but it will lose power as conditions become less optimal. I am able to optimize the tuning for an elevation other than see level if you'd like, in the case that you live in Utah or Colorado or something and always ride at higher elevation.

Any chance of seeing the front of the air box to see how many holes you have drilled in it and what size?

192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any chance of seeing the front of the air box to see how many holes you have drilled in it and what size?
Next time I have it open I'll get some pics of the airbox mod. It's cut to allow for our ram air setup which is in process also.

192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is th expected gains from a Slip on only set up such as a coffmans
It will have the same effect on the power curve and extend it out to 11,400 RPM, I suspect you will see a similar bump in the upper revs, maybe closer to 3 instead of 4.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great, I suppose I could do a Musarri header with my coffmans and go for the whole 7hp gains..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Would I need the Carbon Akrapovic to run this flash? I currently have the Titanium Akrapovic slip on from the dealer. Would the header work with the Titanium version of the Akrapovic?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have optimized our Norton Race Spec ECU Flash for the Ninja 400 to be paired with the top exhaust systems like Akrapovic, Spark, and Graves using our Ninja400R Velocity stacks and the performance is off the charts. So good that I can't even believe it myself and I've added a couple package deals to the website so you all can enjoy this upgrade.

Look at this power curve! 4 more HP up top compared to just the full exhaust without really sacrificing anything in the midrange!!! That's +7 HP compared to stock! How can you not install this setup on your Ninja 400???

Improvement with Norton ECU Flash and a Spark exhaust compared to Norton Flash with Spark exhaust and our Ninja400R Velocity Stacks:

Top exhausts, Graves, Spark, and Akrapovic with Norton Flash and Ninja400R Velocity Stacks:

$100 Off exhaust, Ninja400R Velocity stacks and Norton ECU Flash Package

And if you already have an exhaust, here's $50 off just the Ninja400R Velocity Stacks and Norton ECU Flash
Hey, interested in getting the velocity stacks! Already have a DNA racing air filter and RB Racing (auto tuning). Also have a full Arrow exhaust system, so pretty much just need the velocity stacks. Are they easy to install? Haven’t managed to find any how-to guide. What will the velocity stacks improve over stock velocity stacks? Is top speed and acceleration affected in any way?

192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Would I need the Carbon Akrapovic to run this flash? I currently have the Titanium Akrapovic slip on from the dealer. Would the header work with the Titanium version of the Akrapovic?
You can add the Akrapovic header to the titanium or carbon slipons and get the same performance, a lot of my tests are done with the titanium and it's one of the best available for performance:
Akrapovic Race Header

192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, interested in getting the velocity stacks! Already have a DNA racing air filter and RB Racing (auto tuning). Also have a full Arrow exhaust system, so pretty much just need the velocity stacks. Are they easy to install? Haven’t managed to find any how-to guide. What will the velocity stacks improve over stock velocity stacks? Is top speed and acceleration affected in any way?
They are relatively easy to install. There's some modification recommended to the airbox to maximize performance, do you have a dremel? Shoot me an email and I'm happy to send you pics of the mods. our velocity stacks extend the power band all the way to redline and give a dramatic improvement in top end power. This boost in top end power also requires more fuel at the top end and change the fueling a bit so our ECU flash or a race ECU like aRacer is recommended because you want to change the fueling in each cylinder to match the new velocity stacks, but you can tune the bike in other ways.

Top speed and acceleration will both increase very noticeably.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
nice! I had remembered similar results out of the older R6's but at low end loss, but the 400 seems to be improved across the board...it's funny, that ohio drz guy always going on and on about the darn velocity stacks...well, looks like he might have been right to :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
it looks like the 400 does lose a little at the lower rpm range, but more than makes up for it in the high range. i'd be happy losing a touch low, to gain more where it matters

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can add the Akrapovic header only to the titanium slipon and get the same performance, a lot of my tests are done with this same setup and it's one of the best available for performance:
Akrapovic Race Header
I think you meant to say Carbon and not Titanium.. But your site says it works with both the Carbon and Titanium slip-ons in the description.

192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you meant to say Carbon and not Titanium.. But your site says it works with both the Carbon and Titanium slip-ons in the description.
You can add the header to either slipon. doesnt matter, carbon or titanium.

192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does this flash retain the factory rev limiter?
Yes, unfortunately we don't have the option to change it, at least not yet with Flashtune. Although fortunately, it matches up really well with our velocity stacks so it doesn't need to be changed.

The aRacer ECUs allows us full control of the rev limit, if that's important for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, unfortunately we don't have the option to change it, at least not yet with Flashtune. Although fortunately, it matches up really well with our velocity stacks so it doesn't need to be changed.

The aRacer ECUs allows us full control of the rev limit, if that's important for you.
Do you have any maps with these mods available for the aRacer ECU?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts