Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 z400 ABS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I just got the Dynojet PCV and want to use one of the maps for a Ninja. The z400 only has one map available on the Dynjet website, bu I keep getting the error in the screenshot below. Has anyone else seen this? Maybe found a workaround?

Love some advise. Thank you!!
Rectangle Slope Screenshot Font Parallel

·
Director of Moderation
2,867 Posts
Sounds like the map was made with a different type/firmware of Power Commander than what you have. I assume the connection between software and PCV is fine and you can see all those zeroes changing when you turn it on?

Do they have any ninja 400 maps on their website. You can try that if they have it since it's the same bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Folks,

I just got the Dynojet PCV and want to use one of the maps for a Ninja. The z400 only has one map available on the Dynjet website, bu I keep getting the error in the screenshot below. Has anyone else seen this? Maybe found a workaround?

Love some advise. Thank you!!
View attachment 21109
I looked into getting a PCV last year and I was told by Dynojet that the Ninja and Z400 have different ECU/ECMs and the maps are not interchangeable. I can't believe they don't have any maps for the Z400 by now.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I’m surprised that it would make any difference in a piggyback type unit. Out of curiosity I looked at the Dynojet part numbers and they show the kit for the Z and N non-abs as the same part number. But strangely the N abs is a different part number.

·
Registered
2020 z400 ABS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys... yeah I know I was surprised.... I got in touch with Dynojet and they solved the problem. Turns out this can be done... here is the response:

"Thank you for your inquiry and support of our products. As it turns out, if there are different map types between the map you want to run and the one in your device, that means that the device is not for the same application as the map you are trying to use. This is a safety feature, to keep someone from putting a drastically different map into a PCV for a different application.

You can still do what you want to do though. Just open the map you want to use, click on the fuel table, click on the top left cell above 500RPM and to the left of 0%. This will highlight the entire table. Right click and COPY these cells.

Now click GET MAP which will retrieve the map from your PCV, which has the correct map type. In the same fuel table, click the top left cell above 500RPM and to the left of 0%. This will highlight the entire table. Right click and select PASTE. The values from the map you wanted will now be in the table. You can either save the new map or click SEND MAP to send the updated map back to the PCV.

If there are multiple fuel tables, ignition tables, AutoTune tables, etc, you can do this with each table until all of the data is populated."

·
Director of Moderation
2,867 Posts
🐉
I thought the Z and the N were the exact same ECU. When I had my Z's ECU flashed I was told that, by Superbike Unlimited who flashed it?
They are, and SBU is correct, when flashing ECU's it doesn't matter which one you have in. But he has a Power Commander, which is a piggyback system onto the ECU. The ECU is left untouched, and you're adding something downstream from it which changes the fuel map. That's all it does, but if you have an additional module you can also change ignition timing I believe. It's better/easier/cheaper to just get the ECU flashed instead. That's what most people do.

·
Registered
2020 z400 ABS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah flashing the ECU seems to be the preference these days for sure. @sbk1198 regarding your last comment, my understanding was that there's a code on the PCV that correlates to a code on the downloaded map. If they don't match the PCV won't accept the new map. I copy pasted the Ninja tune onto the default tune that came with the PCV and it worked.

Haven't installed the PCV yet.. decided to get the switch for the Power Commander so I can switch between two maps on the fly. I'll update here once it's installed and let you guys know how it went.

I also attached a PDF I found online about Power Commander fuel maps that I found really interesting and helped me understand the math and mechanics behind the maps.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts