Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: Photo album

Hey everyone, it's my first post here so my apologies if this isn't exactly in the right subforum. So I was turning a corner and stupidly ran over a bunch of leaves mid-turn. I was only going 15 or so, but ended up lowsiding and the bike slid about 10 feet. I'm fine, just a bruised ego, but it's my first drop so I don't really know what to look for on the bike.

From my walk-around, all I see are small scuffs on the left side grip end, the clutch lever, and heavy scratching on the large left front fairing. The mirror is totally fine, and there's no scratches anywhere else on the bike.

Since the clutch lever is scuffed, should I be concerned about any mechanical damage related to it? It still feels normal when riding. I plan on just swapping the LF fairing once I can find it online somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Is your stator cover fine? When I dropped mine going about 20-25 it just cracked I wasnt able to get it home because of the pool of oil that instantly came out of it... sounds like just cosmetic damage to me

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your stator cover fine? When I dropped mine going about 20-25 it just cracked I wasnt able to get it home because of the pool of oil that instantly came out of it... sounds like just cosmetic damage to me
Yeah it looks fine, maybe a couple scratches near the bottom but no visible cracks. I'll upload some pics to be sure but I'm going to let it sit for a half hour and then go check for any drips.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just went out to check it out. The damage is really just 3 spots where the fairings got worn down to the black, plus the scratched up clutch lever. I was actually able to more or less buff out most of the scratching on the fairings (see the last pic in the album). I don't think I'll shell out the $400 for a new set just yet.

Link to Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/ygsuzdv

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just went out to check it out. The damage is really just 3 spots where the fairings got worn down to the black, plus the scratched up clutch lever. I was actually able to more or less buff out most of the scratching on the fairings (see the last pic in the album). I don't think I'll shell out the $400 for a new set just yet.
you made out much better than i did haha cosmetic damage is rough to live with since i dont have the dough for a new fairing kit but it looks workable my footpeg had broken off of mine so thats a good note :wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you made out much better than i did haha cosmetic damage is rough to live with since i dont have the dough for a new fairing kit but it looks workable my footpeg had broken off of mine so thats a good note :wink:
Yeah live and learn I guess, beat up plastics are better than beat up arms and legs haha. I'm gonna keep the beat up fairings for now, they're wicked expensive to replace with new OEM ones.

My only concern is the clutch lever. The bike seems to shift fine, but the lever travels about a half inch to an inch backwards. I don't remember if it did that before.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My only concern is the clutch lever. The bike seems to shift fine, but the lever travels about a half inch to an inch backwards. I don't remember if it did that before.
did you try adjusting the clutch cable? some new ebay ninja 300 ones can fix those scratches

·
Registered
764 Posts

400$ for a new set? more like 400$ just for one side fairing, either way trust me everyone crash's the first year they ride so dont take it to hard, either way it looks fine, no engine damage = fine, but go over the frame and look for cracks ect as that where the real problems are and even the slightest frame damage can result in it being written off, stay safe mate.

·
Registered
147 Posts
400$ for a new set? more like 400$ just for one side fairing, either way trust me everyone crash's the first year they ride so dont take it to hard, either way it looks fine, no engine damage = fine, but go over the frame and look for cracks ect as that where the real problems are and even the slightest frame damage can result in it being written off, stay safe mate.
written off? you mean like salvaging the bike ?

·
Registered
764 Posts
written off? you mean like salvaging the bike ?
"An insurance write-off is industry jargon for a car that's either: sustained so much damage it's unsafe to go back on the road, or it is still safe to drive but is beyond economical repair. If your car has been deemed unsafe, then instead of being repaired the owner will receive a cash payout for the loss."

any frame damage = instant write off as its classified unsafe and un repairable

·
Registered
147 Posts
oh i see, where are you from ? its strange hearing it worded like that not that its a bad thing. also im assuming you mean the insurance company pays out but wouldnt that increase your rate?

·
Registered
764 Posts
oh i see, where are you from ? its strange hearing it worded like that not that its a bad thing. also im assuming you mean the insurance company pays out but wouldnt that increase your rate?
haha because its a aussie thing, "**** mate got in a accident last week during the arvo and the old girls crank got munted, got it written off"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Double check that shift lever as well, looks like it make have bent slightly inwards towards the lower fairing. Easy fix but it looks too close there
Just went and checked, it might be a half inch in or so but I can't tell for sure. Might drive to a dealership tomorrow and see if I can tell on a new one.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

Glad you're okay :)

Doesn't look too bad to me...just be safe on it and take notice of anything that may not seem right while riding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you dont like the look of the clutch lever then it's a good chance to replace with a set of funky adjustable levers in what ever colour you want. They will fit your hand span/reach better. Loads of them on ebay etc. N300 ones fit too.
That's a good idea, I'll go check some out - I think a pair of shorter silver ones could look neat. Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts