Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dropped it doing literally 0mph, need help finding parts

I'm very upset that this is my introduction to the forum but here it is. I've had my N400 KRT for about a month and a half now. This is my first motorcycle I got after taking the MSF. After successfully practicing about 50 slow speed u-turns this morning, I stalled it starting a u-turn, couldn't save it, and it fell from a standstill.:crying: The damage isn't terrible, only scratched the fairings, muffler guard, mirror stalk, tiny bit on the muffler, and barely touched the front brake lever. Turn signals didn't touch down.

I was hoping that someone knew where I could order replacement fairings. Can't stand to see it any way but perfect, I can't look at the scratches. Also, I believe that the brake lever has bent downward ever so slightly, can I replace just the lever?

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

·
Registered
440 Posts
I was hoping that someone knew where I could order replacement fairings.

Welcome to the forum.. sorry for your first tip over.. but now that that's out of the way, life gets better..

I would assume the friendly Kawasaki dealership will get you all set up with the replacement parts.

Gray skies are gonna clear up..put on a happy face...:grin::nerd::grin:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I use Partzilla for all things OEM. There is another one similar to that but the name escapes me at the moment. They both have good prices and you can get literally any part that you can think of that comes OEM on most bikes.

As far as the tip-over...I used to be an MSF instructor up until this year and taught quite a few of those classes. The majority of drops happened at 0 mph, so don't sweat it. But why were you practicing so many U-turns? lol Nothing against practicing slow speed maneuvers, and I applaud you for taking the time to practice because many people don't cuz they think it's not cool enough or that they're too confident in their abilities...but 50?? U-turns?? Do you do a lot of U-turns in your daily riding that you need to be an expert on them or what? lol Definitely practice cornering and braking (as in emergency braking). Those two things tend to be overlooked by beginners and are usually the main causes of crashes. For U-turns...the test is over...now you can put your foot down when doing them ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fuby: Thanks! I feel a bit better now and want to just get back on and keep riding!:smile:

sbk1198: Thank you, just looked and they don't have N400 parts yet. That makes me feel a bit better haha. I wanted to get better riding at slow speeds! Had nothing better to do so I figured i'd keep doing them until I got sick of it and it became a competition with myself to see how tight I could make the turn. I won't be so hesitant to put my feet down now if I feel like I need to.

I was able to find part prices on kawasakipartshouse.com. Here's what I need MINUS the exhaust shields because i'd rather spend that $ on getting a slip on

Big Cowling 55028L – COWLING,SIDE,UPP,RH,EBONY $338.28
Small Green piece 55028G - COWLING,FIN,RH,L.GREEN $75.65
Ninja Sticker -56054F - MARK,UPP SIDE COWL.,NINJA $31.64
Middle Stripe – 56075I - PATTERN,UPP SIDE COWL.,RH,UPP $28.75
400 Decal – 56075J - PATTERN,UPP SIDE COWL.,RH,LWR – $88.27
Brake Lever – 13236 - LEVER-COMP – $20.90
Right Mirror – 56001A - MIRROR-ASSY,RH – $87.51

Total price to fix: $671.00

Looks like i'll have some nice wall ornaments pretty soon. I'm worried about lining up the stickers correctly. Anyone have a solution for that? Going to have to wait a bit to purchase everything, let me know if you guys find parts cheaper anywhere else, Thanks!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Looks like i'll have some nice wall ornaments pretty soon. I'm worried about lining up the stickers correctly. Anyone have a solution for that? Going to have to wait a bit to purchase everything, let me know if you guys find parts cheaper anywhere else, Thanks!
I've Used http://kawasakipartshouse.com several times. You might want to place a small order with them. Usually after some time has passed they send me a discount code for my next order.

Also, when I left items sitting in my cart for a few days they offered me a 10% discount if I upped my order to $200.00. I did not need anything else at the time but it might work for you.

Also, If you are a Costco member you can get a discount (10% or 15% I can't remember) at Kawasaki Dealerships.

Good luck with your repairs and keep enjoying the learning experience regardless of small set backs. I've had a lifetime of enjoyment with motorcycling and I would not trade it for the world.

Rick

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm very upset that this is my introduction to the forum but here it is. I've had my N400 KRT for about a month and a half now. This is my first motorcycle I got after taking the MSF. After successfully practicing about 50 slow speed u-turns this morning, I stalled it starting a u-turn, couldn't save it, and it fell from a standstill.:crying: The damage isn't terrible, only scratched the fairings, muffler guard, mirror stalk, tiny bit on the muffler, and barely touched the front brake lever. Turn signals didn't touch down.

I was hoping that someone knew where I could order replacement fairings. Can't stand to see it any way but perfect, I can't look at the scratches. Also, I believe that the brake lever has bent downward ever so slightly, can I replace just the lever?

Thanks in advance,
Brandon
Hey Brandon. Let me use my introductory post to help you feel a bit better. And embarrass myself in the process.

Background: I started riding in 1965. I've owned 21 motorcycles and ridden many many thousands of miles on and off road; commuting, long distance touring, adventure riding and dirt riding. I taught the Canada Safety Council (equivalent to your MSF) motorcycle course, taught instructors, taught chief instructors, managed the complete provincial program for a couple of years, and was a principle player in a complete rewrite of the program at one point.

I'm a pretty experienced rider.

Here's where we get to the good part...

Two weeks ago I did a 4400km trip from the Canadian Prairies to the west coast and back.

On that trip I fell down. Twice. At approximately 2kph. Both times. Making u-turns. Both times.

I was riding my Versys-X 300 on the trip. I dropped in here because I've been eying up the 400 Ninja since it was released in North America and I wanted to see how actual owners are feeling about it.

I hope you're feeling better now. :)

...ken...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Touch up paint from the auto parts store will cover any scratches with the right color. Most things bent can be bent back or adjusted via a bolt. Perfect aint never gonna happen so accept them imperfect litter suckers. That's when I call it perfect :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
NO, that's Marquez messing with Pedrosa's bike again!

Reactions: Kiwi Rider

·
Registered
46 Posts
The majority of drops happened at 0 mph, so don't sweat it.
Yep, I did drop my bike at the MSF class, coming from 0 mph. Actually it makes sense as when the bike gets up to speed, it wants to stay upright, but when stopped it wants to fall over.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Thanks in advance,
Brandon
That sucks. Would anyone else say keep practicing while it’s scratched already?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow guys, seems like there's a great community on here. Thank you all for the help and recommendations.:smile: Will probably leave it the way it is right now minus a new brake lever and repair the plastics after I get back to work next month (Only work from Aug-June). Definitely grabbing a set of frame sliders and a new seat asap. Was thinking about the Corbin.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It,s happened to us all. I stopped outside mates house turned engine off look down for kickstand,and bike fell over to left
with me under it lucky I only got some little scratches.
no need to feel bad about it
keith

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's not really your bike until you have dropped it :) I was also practicing low speed maneuvers in a parking lot at 5 mph and same as you, I dropped my brand new ninja. But I had woodcraft frame sliders to save me. Which I recommend highly! the No Cut design allows you to just replace the pucks after a booboo.

No damage other than a small scratch on the front brake lever.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts