Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

Dropped her yesterday :(

12K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  Kiwi Rider 
So yesterday, 6 days after I got my N400, I dropped her at a stop sign. There was a slight downhill grade and as I looked to my left to check for cars, I tried to lean on my right foot. Well the ground was lower than I expected it to be and down she went. Fortunately I was able to keep both hands on the bike so she went down slowly. However, she was at full throttle for a couple seconds before I could reach over and hit the kill switch. After struggling to pick the bike back up (I guess I'm pretty weak), I couldn't get it to start. I pulled off to the side and regained my composure. After a min or so, it started back up just fine. My guess is the bike was just flooded. I rode the bike around for another 20 minutes or so, then went back home.

Fortunately the only damage I can spot is a small scrape on the (already Sh*tty) exhaust, which I planned to replace anyhow. All in all, considering this is my first drop, I'd say I'm pretty fortunate that it happened in the manner that it did.
I wonder if the tip kill switch was enabled. It says in the manual that if the bike goes over the engine will automatically shut off and maybe it took a second to reset the switch after you brought it up. Sorry that happened.

Jesse

That’s why I always lower the stand then kick it forward as a safety check. Have never needed to actually move it forward as it was always fully engaged but I do it to remain a habit.

I’m glad it wasn’t more serious! Good job on having the sliders. Where are the scratches?[/quote

It is my first drop in my 5 year riding career, haha. Pretty sure the shogun sliders kept me from getting my left leg pinned under the bike, slight bruise in the inner left knee. Slider took the brunt of the drop.

Biggest scratch is 3/4 inch at the rear quarter panel fairing. Smaller at the clutch lever, kickstand feet, footpeg, again all tiny knicks. Shifter pedal is fine.
Sorry that happened. I am installing my sliders today. Never have dropped my bikes but loose gravel on asphalt made me slide out on my old Yamaha XJ750. Was not fun, luckily the RAT bike was ok but I was pretty bummed about it. We have lots of slick ramps around here because of the rain and I know the potential is just around the corner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.