Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday, 6 days after I got my N400, I dropped her at a stop sign. There was a slight downhill grade and as I looked to my left to check for cars, I tried to lean on my right foot. Well the ground was lower than I expected it to be and down she went. Fortunately I was able to keep both hands on the bike so she went down slowly. However, she was at full throttle for a couple seconds before I could reach over and hit the kill switch. After struggling to pick the bike back up (I guess I'm pretty weak), I couldn't get it to start. I pulled off to the side and regained my composure. After a min or so, it started back up just fine. My guess is the bike was just flooded. I rode the bike around for another 20 minutes or so, then went back home.

Fortunately the only damage I can spot is a small scrape on the (already Sh*tty) exhaust, which I planned to replace anyhow. All in all, considering this is my first drop, I'd say I'm pretty fortunate that it happened in the manner that it did.

·
Registered
656 Posts
So yesterday, 6 days after I got my N400, I dropped her at a stop sign. There was a slight downhill grade and as I looked to my left to check for cars, I tried to lean on my right foot. Well the ground was lower than I expected it to be and down she went. Fortunately I was able to keep both hands on the bike so she went down slowly. However, she was at full throttle for a couple seconds before I could reach over and hit the kill switch. After struggling to pick the bike back up (I guess I'm pretty weak), I couldn't get it to start. I pulled off to the side and regained my composure. After a min or so, it started back up just fine. My guess is the bike was just flooded. I rode the bike around for another 20 minutes or so, then went back home.

Fortunately the only damage I can spot is a small scrape on the (already Sh*tty) exhaust, which I planned to replace anyhow. All in all, considering this is my first drop, I'd say I'm pretty fortunate that it happened in the manner that it did.
You would be surprised how common tip overs are at a stop or just taking off... Glad all is well thou, it'll keep you on your toes - Maybe get some sliders.

·
Registered
129 Posts
All that stuff can be fixed. If it makes you feel better i dropped my bike the first 30 minutes of owning it a few months back on a tight slow turn in my apartment complex. It was quite an unfortunate first day owning the bike. I bent the rear brake pedal, front brake lever a chunk came off, and the exhaust got all scratched up.

Well i have an arrow racetech coming in to replace that shitty sounding exhaust anyway, i put on some adjustable levers, and replaced my bent rear brake with the official part from kawasaki. Also installed Trex frame sliders just in case.

·
Registered
14 Posts
And if it also makes you feel better....I bought a brand new 2014 Triumph Street Triple R and dropped it in my driveway bringing it back from the dealer. That’s after 10 years of street riding and almost 20,000 track miles. First time ever dropping a bike. It happens. I just walked in my house, ordered replacement parts and tried to forget it ever happened.....

·
Registered
129 Posts
And if it also makes you feel better....I bought a brand new 2014 Triumph Street Triple R and dropped it in my driveway bringing it back from the dealer. That’s after 10 years of street riding and almost 20,000 track miles. First time ever dropping a bike. It happens. I just walked in my house, ordered replacement parts and tried to forget it ever happened.....

Cool, Woodlands. I live in spring right off Louetta and 45.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Another point for gravity. Left side drop in my garage, forgot the landing gear as I dismounted. Haste makes waste. Tiny scratches, thanks to the shogun sliders. Not bad at all actually.

·
Registered
440 Posts
That’s why I always lower the stand then kick it forward as a safety check. Have never needed to actually move it forward as it was always fully engaged but I do it to remain a habit.

I’m glad it wasn’t more serious! Good job on having the sliders. Where are the scratches?

·
Registered
744 Posts
That’s why I always lower the stand then kick it forward as a safety check. Have never needed to actually move it forward as it was always fully engaged but I do it to remain a habit.

I’m glad it wasn’t more serious! Good job on having the sliders. Where are the scratches?
It is my first drop in my 5 year riding career, haha. Pretty sure the shogun sliders kept me from getting my left leg pinned under the bike, slight bruise in the inner left knee. Slider took the brunt of the drop.

Biggest scratch is 3/4 inch at the rear quarter panel fairing. Smaller at the clutch lever, kickstand feet, footpeg, again all tiny knicks. Shifter pedal is fine.

·
Registered
64 Posts

I wonder if the tip kill switch was enabled. It says in the manual that if the bike goes over the engine will automatically shut off and maybe it took a second to reset the switch after you brought it up. Sorry that happened.

Jesse

·
Registered
64 Posts

I’m glad it wasn’t more serious! Good job on having the sliders. Where are the scratches?[/quote

It is my first drop in my 5 year riding career, haha. Pretty sure the shogun sliders kept me from getting my left leg pinned under the bike, slight bruise in the inner left knee. Slider took the brunt of the drop.

Biggest scratch is 3/4 inch at the rear quarter panel fairing. Smaller at the clutch lever, kickstand feet, footpeg, again all tiny knicks. Shifter pedal is fine.
Sorry that happened. I am installing my sliders today. Never have dropped my bikes but loose gravel on asphalt made me slide out on my old Yamaha XJ750. Was not fun, luckily the RAT bike was ok but I was pretty bummed about it. We have lots of slick ramps around here because of the rain and I know the potential is just around the corner.

·
Registered
137 Posts
At least it was your doing. I rode mine for the 3rd time last week since buying it in January. I rode it to school, 1st time on the highway which was terrifying and awesome at the same time lol. I come out from class and my bike is laying on its side. Right side 400 sticker is scratched up, some scratches on the black fairing paint as well as a nice big paint chip on the green fairing fin. Dealership is getting me the 2 decals I need super cheap, both for $100 which is awesome since the 400 decal alone is $90. Colormatched touch up paint, sandpaper, and clear coat, I'm looking at $200 bucks to fix it. I'm really considering removing the 400 decals now. Then on my 4th ride at a stop sign the next day I slid on some gravel and I was able to stop the bike from hitting the ground again. I'm not riding again till I get frame sliders. If I would have had them I would not have a scratched motorcycle right now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I dropped mine as well a week after I got it on the streets. And, like yours, I dropped mine in a full stop while trying to pull it back to park.
I got my brake lever a bit of twist and yep, the exhaust saved the day :D
I'll be changing my exhaust anyways, not just now though, so it's totally fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also did a soft landing the other day, just one week after ownership at a parking lot practicing a right U-turn on a hill. I put the weight on my right foot and pulled a calf muscle while holding the bike and painfully lowered it to the ground. Got scratch marks on the brake lever, the big fairing and the exhaust cover. Now, that is out of the way, I can concentrate on learning from the mistake (I should have released the clutch slightly) and improving. BTW, the bike has auto-shutoff when it senses it’s down. You have to turn the key off and then on before attempting to re-start. I’m pissed at the damage to the bike, but how else you gonna learn. One less thing I have to worry about...the pressure of NOT dropping a bike. Lol

I am icing my foot now and recovering, and still riding the bike knowing my limitations.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That sucks. I have not dropped this one but i did drop my road glide. The part that sucked the most was that it was **** trying to get the 800lb pound beast back up. Luckily guys in the riding group i was with helped me out. I was more embarrassed of the fact that i could not pick it back up by myself.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I dropped mine day 1 while stopped in my driveway. ? Picked it up no problem (maybe you should hit the gym? ?), put it away, and calmed down since I was SO angry at myself. All the cosmetics can be fixed thankfully, but off I go to buy some frame sliders!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts