Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The dealer here wants 200USD (700ILS) for this simple service. a pure rip off which I dont want to pay.

Basically what I need to do:

- System checks
- Oil & Oil Filter replacement (Will probably use Motul's 5100 15w50 <--- hot climate where I live)
- Chain adjustment, but i probably wont do it myself and just let a mechanic do it
- Frame Sliders instalition

Note; I dont not have an oil filter as I forgot to order one and I doubt the dealer here have some in stock for the Ninja 400.

Now I pretty much can do all those things besides the chain adjustment. Question is should I risk taking off the plastics of the bike (to install the frame sliders) because I afraid it will be more a pain in the ass than those dumbass seats kawasaki built on this bike and i will not be able to put it back on.. and ofc there's the warranty. Treating it myself will just take it off, and its a brand new bike so if some **** comes too it its all on me.

Standing right now at 815km, Service would probably be at the end of next week if i keep riding it 30km / day for the break in phase.

thoughts?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Do not go to a mechanic just to do a chain adjustment. You are going to get ripped off over something so simple you can do yourself. Watch YouTube videos, it’s very easy to do and something you should learn and not pay something a ridiculous amount for many times a year.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do not go to a mechanic just to do a chain adjustment. You are going to get ripped off over something so simple you can do yourself. Watch YouTube videos, it’s very easy to do and something you should learn and not pay something a ridiculous amount for many times a year.

Hopefully I am starting at the end of June motorcycle mechanic course. So...Till then.

And nobody charge for it around here atleast. I have watched a couple of videos. But I am not sure 100% so thats pretty much the last thing I want to f0ck with the bike right now.

The freeplay is 1.5cm~. How bad is it to ride like this? cosidering i have done 800km so far. I understand it can mess with the engine block bearings and stuff. but how crucial is it for 1000km?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I started riding 12 years ago and had zero mechanical experience (and skill). I learned quickly that there is some basic maintenance that everyone really needs to be able to do, unless you want to constantly be spending time and money at dealers/mechanics. Chain adjustment, chain lube, oil change, throttle play adjustment, setting tire pressure (yes, I know riders that never even check this), etc. are very easy to do. I started with that stuff and now I do everything mechanically on my street and track bikes. Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started riding 12 years ago and had zero mechanical experience (and skill). I learned quickly that there is some basic maintenance that everyone really needs to be able to do, unless you want to constantly be spending time and money at dealers/mechanics. Chain adjustment, chain lube, oil change, throttle play adjustment, setting tire pressure (yes, I know riders that never even check this), etc. are very easy to do. I started with that stuff and now I do everything mechanically on my street and track bikes. Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can.

I agree. And I know to do all of the mentioned besides the chain adjustment. I mean, I do, but not in a level i am sure enough I can preform it alone and be quiet with myself about it. I rather wait a bit more. Question is how much damage can it cause riding like this..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Zero mechanical knowledge as well here and I have done all this myself. In 2018 you have absolutely all the tools you need to figure out how to do all these things. Watch YouTube
Videos and you can learn this easily.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Any Kawasaki dealer that sells oil filters is likely to carry the 16097-nnnn filter because it's a common filter that fits a lot of Kawasaki models.

See also: Oil filter reference info
What does the nnnn stand for extactly?, is the 0004 0008 0552 are the same or..? Or to simply fit does it have the same filter as the N300?

Is the hiflo filter is the HF303? I dont really understand from this thread.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HiFlo-HF303-Motorcycle-Oil-Filter-Honda-CB-750-Seven-Fifty-1991-2003/171904969829?epid=2230624188&hash=item280655ac65:g:L4IAAOSwq7JT2SrZ

Is this good?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Among other things, the nnnn indicates the country of origin. 0008, made in China, is by far the most common filter. If your dealer has a 16097 filter and says it's for your bike, the nnnn part isn't important.

HF303 and HF303RC both will work. The RC version has different filter media and can be removed from the bike using a ordinary 17mm wrench instead of an oil filter wrench. The Hiflofiltro filters seem to be popular around this forum.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
The freeplay is 1.5cm~. How bad is it to ride like this? cosidering i have done 800km so far. I understand it can mess with the engine block bearings and stuff. but how crucial is it for 1000km?
Adjusting the chain and such like is all listed in the owners manual. If you read it you will see in there that the recommended chain slack is 20-30mm, so no 15mm is not OK.
It's up to you my man, make it happen.

Whatever you do dont take it to Emud's dodgy back yard repairs and servicing in Perth. A very shady character that fella..

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hopefully I am starting at the end of June motorcycle mechanic course. So...Till then.

And nobody charge for it around here atleast. I have watched a couple of videos. But I am not sure 100% so thats pretty much the last thing I want to f0ck with the bike right now.

Adjusting the chain and such like is all listed in the owners manual. If you read it you will see in there that the recommended chain slack is 20-30mm, so no 15mm is not OK.

Whatever you do dont take it to Emud's dodgy back yard repairs and servicing in Perth. A very shady character that fella..
I'm guessing hes not checking the chain slack correctly to begin with... Chain adjustment isn't a hard concept but understanding the proper procedure can be.

It would be nice if someone made a comprehensive 600 mile service video " @emudshit Online Service Videos " to help these people.... I was originally thinking of making a complete bike maintenance series for the 400 but my thread got toasted, the moderator tried to save it but technical issues made not worth saving. So my vote goes to emudshit to be the one to do them because he seems to have a nack for it.

Getting back on track...!

On the side of caution I believe just because people like to ride doesn't mean their capable of doing all there own service from the get go, I take no issue with Muchacho22 doing an oil change and letting a mechanic check his chain if hes not felling confident he can do it properly until someone shows him how, It would be easy enough for him to ask for help from his dealer on how to properly check his chain and in the future check it him self in the coming months than try in one sitting to do everything.

Its really a lot of stress and work if you have no idea what your doing and you attempt several things in one go, learn one thing properly this round then learn another down the road and in no time you'll have a bunch of well learned skills under his belt.

It easy to forget how hard it can be to figure out something and then be left to wonder if you did it right the first time you try it, I like starting with a good solid foundation then building on it over time as opposed to rushing it personally.

My two cents...

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm guessing hes not checking the chain slack correctly to begin with... Chain adjustment isn't a hard concept but understanding the proper procedure can be.

It would be nice if someone made a comprehensive 600 mile service video " @emudshit Online Service Videos " to help these people.... I was originally thinking of making a complete bike maintenance series for the 400 but my thread got toasted, the moderator tried to save it but technical issues made not worth saving. So my vote goes to emudshit to be the one to do them because he seems to have a nack for it.

Getting back on track...!

On the side of caution I believe just because people like to ride doesn't mean their capable of doing all there own service from the get go, I take no issue with Muchacho22 doing an oil change and letting a mechanic check his chain if hes not felling confident he can do it properly until someone shows him how, It would be easy enough for him to ask for help from his dealer on how to properly check his chain and in the future check it him self in the coming months than try in one sitting to do everything.

Its really a lot of stress and work if you have no idea what your doing and you attempt several things in one go, learn one thing properly this round then learn another down the road and in no time you'll have a bunch of well learned skills under his belt.

It easy to forget how hard it can be to figure out something and then be left to wonder if you did it right the first time you try it, I like starting with a good solid foundation then building on it over time as opposed to rushing it personally.

My two cents...
Say no more lol

·
Registered
145 Posts
Now a days, with youtube and the other countless on line resources, tutorials and people on forums willing to help, I think anyone can attempt the basic maintenance by himself.

What it's most needed is, the service manual, proper tools, patience and an open learning mind attitude.

Read and watch what to do, then try.
You're not sure or you get stuck? Read and watch again, and ask around.

Wrong tools? You screw up.
You rush up? You screw up.

If you want the job to get done quickly, then take it to the shop.

If you brake something, you can always repair it and learn out of it.

If you take it to the dealer or to a shop, you just missed an opportunity to learn.

When you're done, you're not done yet. Take the bike for a ride, test it and feel it. And then watch check everything again.

After touching anything on the bike, the first rides are always test rides. And this is valid also if you took the bike to a shop. They can screw up as well.

Here in South Florida, the labor is so ridiculous expensive (and not always that good), that I feel I can screw up a hundred times and still save money. And it feels so good when you get it well done.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Definitely do it yourself!
I've adjusted my chain twice already, installed frame sliders, levers, radiator protector and alarm system with immobilizer (using an Ninja 650 wiring schematics as reference, it's pretty much the same as 400) and will do the first service myself.
If a 42yo lady can do this, you surely can :) Just get proper tools for the job and watch lots of youtube. Ari Henning's (MC garage) videos are good for starters.
I've got hiflo HF303RC and BelRay EXP oil (ester blend for starters) for the 1000km change.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Come to my house Ill do it for you for only 100 usd ;) lol

Here is the periodic maintenance chart. Guarantee most shops won't check half this stuff. Get yourself a service manual, and learn how to do it all yourself. Kawasaki has confirmed with me through email, that as long as I keep receipts and a log. I would not be voiding warranty.
Definitely do it yourself!
I've adjusted my chain twice already, installed frame sliders, levers, radiator protector and alarm system with immobilizer (using an Ninja 650 wiring schematics as reference, it's pretty much the same as 400) and will do the first service myself.
If a 42yo lady can do this, you surely can :) Just get proper tools for the job and watch lots of youtube. Ari Henning's (MC garage) videos are good for starters.
I've got hiflo HF303RC and BelRay EXP oil (ester blend for starters) for the 1000km change.

What size of socket do I need for the axle nut?
I have 3/8 Inch drive & socket set of 6-24mm but the 24 doesnt seem to fit.

Is there any bigger ones for the 3/8? or do I have to go 1/2?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can use either a 15/16 inch or 24 MM socket 1/2 inch drive preferably...!

What is a 15/16 inch? I know only 1/4, 3/8 (What I have) and a 1/2.

I have a 24mm socket of my 3/8 drive but it does not fit entirely, I mean it gets in, but not until the end that i can start rotating it. So i am guessing i need a bigger socket than a 24mm.

·
Registered
656 Posts
What is a 15/16 inch? I know only 1/4, 3/8 (What I have) and a 1/2.

I have a 24mm socket of my 3/8 drive but it does not fit entirely, I mean it gets in, but not until the end that i can start rotating it. So i am guessing i need a bigger socket than a 24mm.
Most likely Your 3/8" drive 24mm socket isn't deep enough to fit over the nut or you didn't take the cotter pin out. 15/16" socket is same size as a 24mm socket - either size will work.

I would just go pick up a cheap 1/2" breaker bar and 24mm socket, start building your tool set one socket at a time.

Attachments

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Most likely Your 3/8" drive 24mm socket isn't deep enough to fit over the nut or you didn't take the cotter pin out. 15/16" socket is same size as a 24mm socket - either size will work.

You can just go pick up a cheap 1/2" breaker and 24mm socket, start building your tool set on socket at a time.
I took the cotter pin out, guessing my socket isnt just deep enough as you said.

I can buy 130~ piece set of 1/4 3/8 1/2 drives and sockets (deep and normal) along with some hex key's and wrenches for about 300$ of Signet.
I thought of buying it in the beginning but i thought its a bit of an overkill so i went ahead and bought 24 piece set of 3/8 6-24mm for like 60$ of Signet as well.

Thanks anyway! Appriciate the answer

1 - 20 of 22 Posts