Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To cut to the chase, I've been riding a Honda Shadow 650cc to learn how to ride. I got on a ninja for the first time today and engine breaking felt i n s a n e compared to the cruiser I've been riding. Its engine breaking is nothing compared to the 400. I tested a used 2020 (1k miles). Maybe because the cruiser is heavier so I don't feel it? idk.

My question: Is this engine breaking normal or should I worry something is wrong with the used bike?

·
Registered
124 Posts
can anyone recommend a vender who can do this type of flash. i think this on or off when rolling off the throttle is a big distraction.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I think it's a point of perspective (and operation of the clutch). It's all about learning the sweet spots and power of the bike, and for most cases you should expect what's coming and shouldn't be suprised.

I think before you throw it to ecu give it a chance and learn. Mine is solid from this perspective, the only times when not is when I really mess up.

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS in Candy Red
45 Posts
I think it's a point of perspective (and operation of the clutch). It's all about learning the sweet spots and power of the bike, and for most cases you should expect what's coming and shouldn't be suprised.

I think before you throw it to ecu give it a chance and learn. Mine is solid from this perspective, the only times when not is when I really mess up.
I agree. The amount of engine braking on this bike, given its small engine size and weight, seems spot on for what it is, in comparison to other bikes I’ve owned and ridden over the years. I wouldn’t at all describe it as extreme (that honor belongs to BMW’s large boxer engine platform)...but even if it’s more than one would like, with proper throttle control it can be as little or as much as one wants, serving as an effective aid for cornering and slowing. Give it time, and learn to use it and incorporate this important tool into your riding...you’ll be glad you did.

·
Director of Moderation
2,211 Posts
It's all relative I suppose. To me the ninja 400 has very little engine braking compared to all the other bikes I've owned. About similar to the R3 and CBR500, but way less than others. Try out a Ducati 1198 and then you'll think the ninja 400 has barely any engine braking at all lol

I have no experience with cruisers though so not sure how that compares.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i am used to rolling off the throttle and the bike responds by braking as the fuel amount is reduced to the engine. the 400 engine responds by going from wot to idle instantly . there is no operator input when you roll off the throttle , engine is either pulling or at idle fuel . not at all like a carbureted engine acts.

·
Registered
Ninja 400 2018
87 Posts
i am used to rolling off the throttle and the bike responds by braking as the fuel amount is reduced to the engine. the 400 engine responds by going from wot to idle instantly . there is no operator input when you roll off the throttle , engine is either pulling or at idle fuel . not at all like a carbureted engine acts.
Oh for sure, fuel injections cuts fuel a lot more than carburetors, no doubt about it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
can anyone recommend a vender who can do this type of flash. i think this on or off when rolling off the throttle is a big distraction.
Engine braking and the injector cut on decel really suck on both the 400 and 636 and can be cured by an ECU flashing service.

I can recommend SBU ECU flashing service. This will help lesson engine braking and the jerky on/off throttle response caused by the decel fuel cut feature. To ensure the decel fuel cut is disabled make sure to request it be disabled.

On my 400 I had the ECU flashed by SBU and it was excellent. SBU automatically disabled the decel fuel cut but I would ask anyway.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I had a Yamaha Virago 750 and a Honda Sabre VF700 and I don’t remember them having any engine braking. When I first got a GSXR 750, that had some serious engine braking. I was herky jerky on it until I learned to be smooth. I like engine braking because some times it slows you enough that you don’t need to brake at all. I find the engine braking on the 400 very lite compared to the Gixxers.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Engine braking will always be there, it's just the level of engine braking that changes.

The OEM setup has strong engine braking and a jerky throttle which gets smoothed out with the ECU flash.

After the ECU is flashed give yourself time to recalibrate the new engine dynamics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts