Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to install the performance air filter on my Ninja 400. Anybody got any instructions to follow?

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Ive had the lid off my airbox and saw the filter there, looked pretty straight forward to swap it out. Which bit are you stuck on, accessing the filter or trying to remove the actual filter?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not sure if the 400 is the same location as the 300 but there is a how to video on YouTube by a guy named Spacepod about changing out the air filter

·
Registered
152 Posts
the air filter is under the fuel tank in the 400 nothing like the 300, its similar to the zx10 and such
Yep, you have to pull the tank to change the filter.
Not too difficult though. Pull the seat off and there are two bolts holding the tank down in the back, pull off the plastic trim piece that covers the sides of the tank (2 bolts in each) and disconnect the line to the fuel pump on the bottom of the tank. There are 2 vent hoses on the left side of the take that will come off too. Then just pull the take up and towards the back of the bike, it may be a little tough due to the grommets the the front of the take sits in. The air box is directly underneath the tank. Feel free to correct me if I missed anything as I’m typing this from memory at work.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Thanks guys for your feedback!
I'm probably going to have to remove my tank and airbox today to access my ABS unit cos its a pain to get at so give us a yell if there are any bits your still stuck on or want a photo taken of anything. I dont have a video camera though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the dealer install it. I didn't have enough time to sit and work on it. But did you guys get tuning after installing the air filter? i had the MWR air filter from TST industries. But i haven't seen any difference in power/ torque. i am still having stock ECU, no power commander or anything.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I had the dealer install it. I didn't have enough time to sit and work on it. But did you guys get tuning after installing the air filter? i had the MWR air filter from TST industries. But i haven't seen any difference in power/ torque. i am still having stock ECU, no power commander or anything.
Talking to a few dyno companies I have heard the ninja 400 comes a little lean stock so adding a air filter will make it even run even leaner :/ so you wont actually gain power if anything depending how lean your bike is you will loose power, though with a pcv or ecu reflash looking and others results this bike actually has a lot of potential to release, I have saw power gains of upto 5hp with just a ecu flash with a air filter and stock exhaust :)

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
I've found from experience that fitting a freer flowing aftermarket filter with out tuning doesn't give any noticeable gains that I can feel riding the bike in a real world situation.
Despite the claims on the box or website. :grin:

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've found from experience that fitting a freer flowing aftermarket filter with out tuning doesn't give any noticeable gains that I can feel riding the bike in a real world situation.
Despite the claims on the box or website. :grin:
haha exactly, sometimes you may even lose power if your already running super lean. granted I have seen some bikes actually gain a few horses from just changing air filters but its usually 1 in a million

·
Registered
295 Posts
IM sure a lot of lads think you can gain power using a a free flowing air filter and a after market exhaust
like a twostroke .
But without some head work different camshaft and different injector settings ;
before you get any gain in power on a four stroke.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Removing the gas tank

I am trying to install the performance air filter on my Ninja 400. Anybody got any instructions to follow?
This may be a little late for you, but this YouTube video shows how to remove the gas tank as part of the brake line replacement process.

They have a lot of detailed videos for working on the ninja 400.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
YouTube it. Theres a guy called notagrom. look at his videos. It's very easy to do. Takes about 15 mins to get the tank off. You have to undo some fairings in the front
The OP posted that two years ago. You'd like to hope he's got it sorted by now, but hey you never know! ;)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Well crap........if we are truly going to dig up a post from 2 years ago..........and use a life giving miracle on it, lets make it count.............

There.......now maybe that "will" help someone..........or help make it worse, lol :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts