Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
yes, I did. Just not sure if I want to play so much now with ride height. My rear ohlins is already maxed out, now its time to play with the front some ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
yes, I did. Just not sure if I want to play so much now with ride height. My rear ohlins is already maxed out, now its time to play with the front some ;)
Come on now, you have to be the guinea pig for me! :devil:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Last race weekend of the year is upon us (for some, it may already be done or just starting depending on location).

To prep for last race @thunderhill raceway:
1. Gearing test - Currently running 18front/54 rear; Going to experiment with rear changes to 55 and 56 (although stay with either 54 or 55 only); 56 is just for testing at this time
2. Brakes bleeding completed
3. New clutch Yoyodyne 5-spring, and blue printed shift shaft from @Norton Motorsports are coming in this week, need to install by Sunday this wee

Testing on 10/14, 10/15 and race on 10/19, 10/20

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Nice lines. Where did you end up in the placings?
That rider you passed at the 3:58 mark held you up some huh.
I've seen a few clips from this track now and it looks pretty cool. Flowing and fast.
Lines are same between the R3 and the 400. I've got a lot of seat time at this track, and I naturally ride only one line. Its hard for me to change lines, something I'm working on consciously now.

I think I placed 7th maybe (out of 10 I think, maybe 9). The top two (Marc Edwards, Brenden Kettleson) are both MotoAmerica fast riders, cant compete with them. My goal is to get withing 3s off their times next year.

Yes, I still am learning how to pass in a race. He did hold me up a bit, but once I figured out how much slower he was from me (~3s per lap), I was able to pass easily and put some gap very fast.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Sad to report that I crashed out during testing this past Monday at Thunderhill. I'm totally Ok. My gear (Vircos custom Kangaroo suit, A-Stars air vest, AGV lid, Dainese Rossi replica boots, RS Taichi gloves) totally protected me great. Air vest deployed, although I cant recollect when it deployed, only knew it was deployed when I stood up after the crash.

I was slightly disappointed with traffic all morning, couldnt get even one clear lap. I was 4s off my race pace, all 4s were lost in sectors 1 & 2, in sectors 3 & 4 I was on race pace. In afternoon 3pm session (open track session), I went out first with clear track in front of me. After the warm up lap, I tried to put my head down and chase a good lap time. In turn 3, I felt the rear squirm when I got on the gas to accelerate to turn 4. Made my way up the hill to turn 5, got a good entry, then flipped bike to turn into 5a. I got on the gas pretty hard through the turn.

Here's where I think I may have made a few mistakes that led to the crash......I added lean, added more gas while on full lean. A brand new rear tire probably would've stuck a lot better, however, my mostly done tire didn't wanna stick. I felt the rear slide (for what felt forever). Once I realized I was totally sideways and couldnt recover, I had two options:
1. Close throttle and let rear swing back in line and risk a nasty highside
2. Keep throttle open and let it lowside

I chose option 2, let it lowside. I slid on pavement, then when I hit the dirt, I started rolling over/tumbling. After my first roll, I consciously pulled my arms into my chest so as not to break anything. I must've rolled 8-10 times. After I stopped rolling, I wiggled my fingers and toes, moved my neck around, everything felt normal and then stood up. After looking over my body to ensure nothing was flailing around, I checked the bike.

An instructor helped me get bike back up on the two wheels again. It started right up. The bars were facing right, but the front wheel was straight.....but I was able to ride it back into the pits. Once I removed the fairings, I could tell the upper/lower triples and forks were bent. Armorbodies bodywork, Woodcraft frame sliders, rearsets, clip-ons held up really good. I loaded up and returned home from there.

Lessons learned:
1. When in doubt, put on new tires
2. Improve technique (be gentle/smooth on the gas)
3. Spend more time on mini bike on the edge of tires to learn the limits, practice saving rear slides

Bike will be off to GP frame and wheel to ensure everything will be straight as stock or better soon, this will be over the winter project. Pics of crash damage later.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Oh bugger. Sounds like you've analysed it pretty well though. As usual the main thing is your all good and in one piece to race again and it sounds like the bikes not too beat up either, all things considered.
Good quick thinking on the decision to keep throttle open and low side too.

Ya know, more than once I've had people (whom I used to think were knowledgeable) say to me at the track "oh those small bikes like yours aren't like a liter bike, you can just treat the throttle like an on/off switch and whack it mid corner every time"
Well it just aint true, and these people were even refering to my 80HP SV sometimes, not just the Ninja. Complete BS.

Here's my old Kiwi mate Simon Crafer on the subject:

·
Super Moderator
1,221 Posts
Sad to report that I crashed out during testing this past Monday at Thunderhill. I'm totally Ok.
First...gald you are OK and walked away from that one!!

I agree about being super smooth with throttle control. I have been practicing letting the rear wheel slip just a bit for the last month or so. Last week I installed the R-6 throttle mod and I scared the crap out of myself because I am not used to the rate of change yet. Lesson one...smooooth throttle, lesson two...maybe not to change things in the middle of learning lesson one!!

What I thought was stopping the acceleration was really decelerating (a very fine line in my pea brain), the bike stood right up with a huge wobble and it took care of itself as I looked for a new set of diapers !!

Looking forward to seeing your bike after you fix it up.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Yikes! Glad you're ok, but sucks about the bike. I'm surprised you bent so much on the front end from just a rear-tire low side. Must've taken a few tumbles.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Yikes! Glad you're ok, but sucks about the bike. I'm surprised you bent so much on the front end from just a rear-tire low side. Must've taken a few tumbles.
I actually didn't see what happened to the bike while I tumbled, but scratches were only on one/right side, so I'm assuming it didnt tumble. I can hypothesize that once it hit the dirt, the bars got caught in the dirt, sheared the steering stop off the lower triples, then somehow mangled up the triples and fork upper tubes.

Anyway, its off season now, a lot of time to get the bike fixed and better than before.

In the meanwhile, if anyone has the plastic side panels for sale, I'll likely need right side as some tabs were broken off. The Armor bodies bodywork survived the crash really well, just a crack in the tail fairing and few scratches on the upper. The Woodcraft frame slides worked great as well to protect frame and the bodywork (although, the bodywork is usually sacrificial in my view).

I'm going to get the fairings repaired and painted over the winter.....

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I actually didn't see what happened to the bike while I tumbled, but scratches were only on one/right side, so I'm assuming it didnt tumble. I can hypothesize that once it hit the dirt, the bars got caught in the dirt, sheared the steering stop off the lower triples, then somehow mangled up the triples and fork upper tubes.

Anyway, its off season now, a lot of time to get the bike fixed and better than before.

In the meanwhile, if anyone has the plastic side panels for sale, I'll likely need right side as some tabs were broken off. The Armor bodies bodywork survived the crash really well, just a crack in the tail fairing and few scratches on the upper. The Woodcraft frame slides worked great as well to protect frame and the bodywork (although, the bodywork is usually sacrificial in my view).

I'm going to get the fairings repaired and painted over the winter.....

Well at least if you're gonna crash, it might as well be at the very end of the season. I've had 2 like that, 2012 and 2016. Then in 2017 I crashed right in the beginning of the season, first race, and on freshly painted fairings lol

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Rebuild is almost complete from the last crash, getting ready for 2020 racing season. Had my shop do a teardown of the motor just to check/replace if necessary. It passed with a clear health bill. Not adding much mods, just a thinner head gasket and a custom dyno tune, rest is just regular maintenance.

Bodywork is now getting repaired and painted. Will post pics when done. 1st race weekend is March 20 (Friday practice)/ 21/ 22, can't come sooner enough

·
Registered
785 Posts
Rebuild is almost complete from the last crash, getting ready for 2020 racing season. Had my shop do a teardown of the motor just to check/replace if necessary. It passed with a clear health bill. Not adding much mods, just a thinner head gasket and a custom dyno tune, rest is just regular maintenance.

Bodywork is now getting repaired and painted. Will post pics when done. 1st race weekend is March 20 (Friday practice)/ 21/ 22, can't come sooner enough
So the fun begins 3/20 in Cali. In the northeast the 1st race that I am doing is April 4th, that I have to travel 8 hrs south. How do you warm up for the season? Any street riding or regular track days? Or cold turkey?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
So the fun begins 3/20 in Cali. In the northeast the 1st race that I am doing is April 4th, that I have to travel 8 hrs south. How do you warm up for the season? Any street riding or regular track days? Or cold turkey?
If one is truly serious about this sport, there's no way they go into the first race with no prep/off-season work

I started training in the gym to keep my body in shape during the winter. I train on a mini-moto (kx65 motard) to keep in riding shape (2-3 weekends a month). Mini-moto training is to work on fundamentals (body positioning, braking techniques, transitions etc.). What we do on big bikes translates exactly to the go-kart track on a mini-moto. Of course, one can go faster with just more seat time, but trick is to improve technique to go faster, not adrenaline. This will get one faster....SAFER.

I only do the Friday trackdays before race weekends, to get bike setup and my mind used to riding big track. Apart from that, I just train on the mini bike all year long (as long as no rain).

61 - 80 of 84 Posts