Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Your build is very similar to mine. I have K-tech front and rear, Iron Axis Braketech rotor, Spark IT exhaust etc.
I'm not racing so, Ill keep the stock rearsets and clip-ons for now. (They aren't slowing me down too much yet)
I do not have ABS, curious if the ECUs between ABS and non-ABS are interchangeable, since I have one that's flashed and one that is not.

I stupidly added up my parts list, and its more than the MRSP for the bike..... uggh.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
That was my initial thought when I bought this shock. On the R3, some vendors claim the Ohlins is not perfect height, limited by ~5mm too short, however, I didn't feel any issues with ground clearance or pace yet. I'm still not at lap record pace though, so it doesn't bother me.

I'll run the Ohlins on the 400 until end of this year and see if I have any issues. What I heard from vendors is that Ohlins shock combined with Woodcraft rearsets, the ground clearance may be an issue, only time will tell for my case.
I haven't tried the Woodcraft rearsets but I do believe they sit a bit lower than others. I have Vortex on mine, along with the Ohlins shock and haven't had any ground clearance issues. The fast kids around here that are just about dragging elbows on their 400s are using Vortex rear sets as well, but I think they have K-Tech shocks. Don't think the chocks are any longer though, and if they're pretty much dragging elbows with no issues, then it should be fine for pretty much anyone.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Your build is very similar to mine. I have K-tech front and rear, Iron Axis Braketech rotor, Spark IT exhaust etc.
I'm not racing so, Ill keep the stock rearsets and clip-ons for now. (They aren't slowing me down too much yet)
I do not have ABS, curious if the ECUs between ABS and non-ABS are interchangeable, since I have one that's flashed and one that is not.
If at all, get rearsets or the relocation bracket. Based on your picture you posted, pegs may start touching down if you push the pace more. On the K-Tech rear shock, how much more extension can you get over stock height?

I tried the non-ABS ECU without the gas tank, it was sending spark to the coils, no reason why it shouldn't work imho. I'll post update by end of this week. I'll be sending my ECU to Norton for reflash. He did reflash for my R3 and its great tune he has on it.

I stupidly added up my parts list, and its more than the MRSP for the bike..... uggh.
Why would you do that? Lmao. I figured it out during my R3 build, so this time, I'm not looking at my credit card or bank account anymore to soften the blow.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I haven't tried the Woodcraft rearsets but I do believe they sit a bit lower than others. I have Vortex on mine, along with the Ohlins shock and haven't had any ground clearance issues. The fast kids around here that are just about dragging elbows on their 400s are using Vortex rear sets as well, but I think they have K-Tech shocks. Don't think the chocks are any longer though, and if they're pretty much dragging elbows with no issues, then it should be fine for pretty much anyone.
I'm not that far away from dragging elbows....lol (atleast in my head, hehe). More I think, more I convince myself Ohlins shock at stock height will be fine for what I need it to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Lean it until your toes touch, then lean some more.... :)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I'm not that far away from dragging elbows....lol (atleast in my head, hehe). More I think, more I convince myself Ohlins shock at stock height will be fine for what I need it to do.

Looks like you're just more flexible than most and are leaning off the bike more. But the bike angle looks about the same as mine. And the bike can do more.

Look at this little dude for example. This was last year. He was 13 and probably no more than 5'4" at the time.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Both of our photos appear to be about 53*

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Installed Ohlins rear shock yesterday. Even fully extended, it was almost same length as stock
As far as I know they're all the same length regardless of which brand you go with.
... I have K-tech front and rear, Iron Axis Braketech rotor, Spark IT exhaust etc.
When I got my K-tech it was set to the same length as the OEM shock so I banged it in as it was. I'm assuming there is room for some adjustability there though, I never checked.
@GreenWeenie Have you adjusted yours at all? I want to have a play with this next summer.
That's a real blow the Ohlins is too short, adapter plate maybe?

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Looks like you're just more flexible than most and are leaning off the bike more. But the bike angle looks about the same as mine. And the bike can do more.

Look at this little dude for example. This was last year. He was 13 and probably no more than 5'4" at the time.
That's impressive, his lower fairing is grinding on the track Lol. Is that a N400?
I want to work on my flexibility before next season. My 50 yr old body that has done a lot of hard labour is a long way from being able to do what those kids can. Bloody contortionists!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
That's impressive, his lower fairing is grinding on the track Lol. Is that a N400?
I want to work on my flexibility before next season. My 50 yr old body that has done a lot of hard labour is a long way from being able to do what those kids can. Bloody contortionists!

It's a 300. Come on...you should know that! ;)

300s are notoriously low though, as are the belly pans for track fairings on them for some reason. I've seen many people that are at least decently fast who consistently drag their belly pans in some turns. Bit of a poor design IMO, but yeah this kid does really lean a lot too. He's on a 400 now and been kicking a lot of ass in the first part of this season.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
It's a 300. Come on...you should know that! ;)

300s are notoriously low though, as are the belly pans for track fairings on them for some reason. I've seen many people that are at least decently fast who consistently drag their belly pans in some turns. Bit of a poor design IMO, but yeah this kid does really lean a lot too. He's on a 400 now and been kicking a lot of ass in the first part of this season.
Yeah I know, points off. :eek: I did think the header pipes looked a little puny.
Haven't had much to do with the 300's, interesting to hear they are a low slung beast.
There's a National level racer who occasionally races at my track who used to race a N300 then switched to an R3. I quizzed him about this and he said the R3 had a better frame and handled better.
Cant race the N400 here at National level in Supersport 300 cos it's outside of the engine capacity regs:
Twin cylinder four stroke engines from 260cc up to 325 cc. Or single cylinder four
stroke engines from 260cc to 380cc.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Yeah I know, points off. :eek: I did think the header pipes looked a little puny.
Haven't had much to do with the 300's, interesting to hear they are a low slung beast.
There's a National level racer who occasionally races at my track who used to race a N300 then switched to an R3. I quizzed him about this and he said the R3 had a better frame and handled better.
Cant race the N400 here at National level in Supersport 300 cos it's outside of the engine capacity regs:
Twin cylinder four stroke engines from 260cc up to 325 cc. Or single cylinder four
stroke engines from 260cc to 380cc.

I agree with what he said. I've ridden multiple 300s at the track from stock to fairly well setup, and I still preferred my R3's handling. But don't let anyone tell you the R3 is a faster bike in a straight line. Out of the box they're about the same, which is what annoyed me that our organization didn't allow the R3 in the 300 classes. That's the only reason I sold it. Now I hear they will allow it next year. Thanks guys...AFTER I sold mine you're finally doing it :clap:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yes, I usually look at lean to gauge the speeds...I'm still 5s off lap record pace and on our small bikes, thats a lot. I need to improve entries to improve lap times more, but that will come with time and practice only. Balls/daring will only take me so far before crashing for lack of skill

On a side note, got most of the stuff installed. Pending install of the 415 chain kit tomorrow along with fork cartridge kit (bushings in the mail, were sort of damaged during removal)

I need to get a good deal on a radiator screen/guard also.

Should be ready to race this weekend at Thudnerhill. Planning to race in 400 Ninja cup only for the first time on this bike. I know I'll be slow (but there's always someone slower or faster, depends on perspective I guess, lol).

Will post some pics by Thursday this week.

PS mockup of paint scheme below, but will tweak a bit before paint. For this weekend though, no time to paint, just primer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Yes, I usually look at lean to gauge the speeds...I'm still 5s off lap record pace and on our small bikes, thats a lot. I need to improve entries to improve lap times more, but that will come with time and practice only. Balls/daring will only take me so far before crashing for lack of skill

On a side note, got most of the stuff installed. Pending install of the 415 chain kit tomorrow along with fork cartridge kit (bushings in the mail, were sort of damaged during removal)

I need to get a good deal on a radiator screen/guard also.

Should be ready to race this weekend at Thudnerhill. Planning to race in 400 Ninja cup only for the first time on this bike. I know I'll be slow (but there's always someone slower or faster, depends on perspective I guess, lol).

Will post some pics by Thursday this week.

PS mockup of paint scheme below, but will tweak a bit before paint. For this weekend though, no time to paint, just primer.

Nice! Good luck!

PS...too much white on that bike! lol

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
It sure looks white...like the TST Ninja 400....which I've seen in person...and it's white lol
lol...yes, for sure the TST bike is white. Mine will not be white, it'll be gray like my current R3 race bike.

The photo I posted before was just a photoshop mockup of what mine may look like. I'm going through several different schemes now.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ordered Active STF brake and clutch levers from webike.com

I use the Active lever on my R3 and R6 and they feel and work great, except when you crash, the lever adjuster is susceptible to damage (as happened to me, but still functional). The STF is a newer version, with the adjuster within the lever, out of harms way in case of a crash.

Will post pics later. Brake side went on just fine. On clutch side, my salvage title bike had a crash (which salvaged it), the clutch lever pivot bolt was already ground/banged up. When it barely tried to loosen it, the bolt snapped. Fortunately, it snapped right at the bare Vs threaded part of the bolt, so I was able to spin it off from the bottom side. Ordered a replacement OEM bolt, waiting for it.

Brake lever: https://japan.webike.net/products/24071091.html
Clutch lever: https://japan.webike.net/products/24071061.html

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I decided to make paint simpler, removed the blue to save on cost. I'll also be powdercoating the wheels neon yellow.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 84 Posts