Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll

Building my next race bike. Currently on a 16 R3, but that grid is shrinking by the day as everyone is moving the the new 400SS, 400SBK classes.

Bought me a salvage title 18 ABS model with ~2k street miles. Started ordering parts already.

1. Woodcraft
Whatever they have for the 400. I've really loved all of Woodcraft products and their availability/customer service for a very long time (>10 years)
Rearsets, clip-ons, shark guard, Armor bodies bodywork, race seat, seat pad etc.
2. Suspension
Front: GP suspension 25mm cartridge kit
Rear: Ohlins rear shock
3. Electronics
Annitori QS
Will get ECU flashed by Norton motorsports

Will post pics or race updates along the way.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First part came in today....Ohlins rear shock from Riders Discount

Clutch upgrade kit, Annitori QS, etc - on the way from Norton motorsports.

Next week will be busy (week off from work too). Will post pics along the way.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The Armour Bodies set with the seat piece is really awesome for the 400! It looks great, installs easier than others I've dealt with, and seems to be able to take a crash pretty well (unfortunately had to find that part out myself lol). Can't say the same for Annitori QS though. Looking back, I wish I would've gone for the old trusted Dynojet instead. Tried to save a bit of money but it has caused me tons of issues so far. I will say their tech support is very good (a guy named Paul in particular), but I can't say I've been happy with the product itself. I've had 4 Dynojets so far on 4 different bikes and they've always worked well. Should've stuck with what I knew instead of trying something new to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The Armour Bodies set with the seat piece is really awesome for the 400! It looks great, installs easier than others I've dealt with, and seems to be able to take a crash pretty well (unfortunately had to find that part out myself lol). Can't say the same for Annitori QS though. Looking back, I wish I would've gone for the old trusted Dynojet instead. Tried to save a bit of money but it has caused me tons of issues so far. I will say their tech support is very good (a guy named Paul in particular), but I can't say I've been happy with the product itself. I've had 4 Dynojets so far on 4 different bikes and they've always worked well. Should've stuck with what I knew instead of trying something new to save a few bucks.
So do we need the side seat cover fairings with the AB bodywork? On R3, without side covers, a lot of wiring was exposed and I didn't want to risk anything if I crashed.

I've had nothing but great things to say about AB. Been using them since 2010. I've helped friends install many sets of bodywork, apart from SharkSkinz, AB is by far the better fit out of the box. They crash really well as they are more flexible and not brittle like HotBodies.

I've also used Annitori QS on my 08 R6 (since 2010) and R3 race bike with no real issues. Not sure if you got a bad sensor or other issues. I like the ignition cut method compared to fuel cut like Dynojet, for no particular reason other than thats only what I've used, lol. Ignition cut ones are easy to disconnect and run the bike without QS in case of any issues with sensor. I'm not sure on the fuel cut types.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking forward to pics and updates.

Never checked Norton website, they seem to be similar to spears racing. Thanks for the tip.
We, in Cali, are lucky to have both Spears and Norton support us in our local racing series. Both are great guys to work with. Happy to recommend either one.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
So do we need the side seat cover fairings with the AB bodywork? On R3, without side covers, a lot of wiring was exposed and I didn't want to risk anything if I crashed.

I've had nothing but great things to say about AB. Been using them since 2010. I've helped friends install many sets of bodywork, apart from SharkSkinz, AB is by far the better fit out of the box. They crash really well as they are more flexible and not brittle like HotBodies.

I've also used Annitori QS on my 08 R6 (since 2010) and R3 race bike with no real issues. Not sure if you got a bad sensor or other issues. I like the ignition cut method compared to fuel cut like Dynojet, for no particular reason other than thats only what I've used, lol. Ignition cut ones are easy to disconnect and run the bike without QS in case of any issues with sensor. I'm not sure on the fuel cut types.
I kept the side plastic panels on mine. Without them there would be some wiring exposed I’m sure, but I’m sure you could run it without. Personally I think the bike looks better with them on and it’s a bit of extra protection, plus they don’t really get in the way of anything and are very easy to take off when you need to.

My bad experience with Annitori started when I got it. First time I ran the bike (at Daytona) the thing would only work for the first lap then it would die and I’d have no QS for the rest of the laps in each race or session. They sent me a new module and that fixed the problem so I guess it was a faulty module. I should also mention the wiring harness for it was incorrect at first so they had to send me another one. Lately it started acting up like if you were to hold your foot on it, so it keeps sputtering cuz it’s cutting ignition off but it only does it at certain RPM and in 3rd and 4th gear. Other times it won’t work at all on the first shift so I always have to press twice for it to actually shift. They made me a good deal on a new sensor now so I’m going to try that. If it doesn’t work I’m going to rip it all off and get a Dynojet. Only reason I didn’t get one before is because I have no need for a PCV, so I was looking for a stand-alone unit. HM is good but it’s like $500.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:

Flushed coolant, replaced with water/water wetter
Installed TST smog block-off plates
Installed wiring for Annitori QS, waiting for Woodcraft rearsets

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Waiting for upper stay, rectifier relocation bracket, braketech rotor, brake lines, spare ECU (without ABS), Vesrah RJL pads, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more items.....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Motul oil I spy!!!!!!

Good build right there. Curious on the rotor.
Yes 300V.....but I messed up. What I thought was unused oil jug, turned out to be used oil, but it had separated out very nicely, so when I started poring it, looked clean. I will change oil again before I take it to the track though.

Braketech rotor should be on the way this week (Norton Motorsports) along with DB Holder upper fairing stay, kickstand replacement bracket.

Vesrah pads, more DZUS fasteners from Kurveygirl.com is on the way (should be here today).

Exhaust hanger bracket, rear brake reservoir delete kit, regulator/rectifier relocation bracket from Spears is also on the way.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The part numbers for main harness are same between the non-ABS Vs ABS versions. I'll get the non-ABS ECU today (likely late evening). Going to plug that in tomorrow and check if bike runs (fingers crossed). If that works, ABS will be coming off the bike. If not, I'll keep the ABS unit and block it off, leave it plugged in like all other folks.

Exhaust hangar, rear brake reservoir delete, brake lines, coolant overflow bottle replace w/Motion pro, brake pads, 415 chain conversion will all be done by end of this week. Interestingly enough, only Spears sells direct replacement front 415 sprocket that doesn't need a spacer/washer. Ordered EK 415 chain, Vortex rear sprocket and Spears front sprocket.

Waiting for Norton to ship out brake rotor, kickstand replacement bracket. Paint for race bodywork will take a bit of time as painter is super busy now. I'll end up racing next round end of this month with primer fairings (booooo).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Installed Ohlins rear shock yesterday. Even fully extended, it was almost same length as stock, so I'm very disappointed in making this choice. I would've liked ~5-10mm higher than stock rear height.

Regulator/rectifier relocation unit from Spears is great, moves it to just behind my frame slider, so will definitely not take any impact, compared to the stock location. Also installed Spears exhaust hangar bracket.

Installed the non-ABS ECU, still shows ABS light on the dash for some reason, but haven't started the bike or run it yet. Will change spark plugs today before putting airbox and tank together, then start and test run it.

SS braided brake lines will be arriving today as well, so will install them. Removed the ABS unit yesterday and all the lines.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Installed Ohlins rear shock yesterday. Even fully extended, it was almost same length as stock, so I'm very disappointed in making this choice. I would've liked ~5-10mm higher than stock rear height.
As far as I know they're all the same length regardless of which brand you go with. I think you'll find no problems with it though. I'm seeing guys running near lap record pace (MA Junior Cup pace) without any additional height.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As far as I know they're all the same length regardless of which brand you go with. I think you'll find no problems with it though. I'm seeing guys running near lap record pace (MA Junior Cup pace) without any additional height.
That was my initial thought when I bought this shock. On the R3, some vendors claim the Ohlins is not perfect height, limited by ~5mm too short, however, I didn't feel any issues with ground clearance or pace yet. I'm still not at lap record pace though, so it doesn't bother me.

I'll run the Ohlins on the 400 until end of this year and see if I have any issues. What I heard from vendors is that Ohlins shock combined with Woodcraft rearsets, the ground clearance may be an issue, only time will tell for my case.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts