Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Well, I received the OBD2 to KDS adaptor cable from Tuning Tools surprisingly quickly, and it has the right 6-pin RED connector for my 2019 Z400. When I plugged my BlueDrive OBD2 and this adaptor cable into my KDS port, and turned on the ignition, the BlueDriver did light up (indicating it is getting power from the KDS port). The bluedriver also successfully connected to my iPhone, and identified the vehicle accurately when I typed in the VIN.

BUT . . .

The Bluedriver says that it is not getting any data from the vehicle. :(

Since others on this thread have said that they DO get data from their 400, even using far cheaper OBD2 units than the BlueDriver, I think this might mean that:

- Either the pinout in the Tuning Tools adaptor cable is NOT correct for the 2019 Z400 with the RED 6-pin KDS connector

or

- The Bluedriver despite being one of the more costly OBD2 units, and having a super-easy to use interface (you don't even need their paper or online instructions to use it), still won't successfully interface with KDS.

Jim G

·
Registered
Z900
297 Posts
Rats, that is too bad Jim. You are looking to "remote" in via Bluetooth yeah? The cable connected ODB scanner from Woolich worked perfectly on the Z400, and also works with the same cable on the new Z900 I just bought. My money is on it being a bluetooth thing.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Rats, that is too bad Jim. You are looking to "remote" in via Bluetooth yeah? The cable connected ODB scanner from Woolich worked perfectly on the Z400, and also works with the same cable on the new Z900 I just bought. My money is on it being a bluetooth thing.
Ok. How long a cable can you get on a non-Bluetooth scanner? My objective here is not to erase trouble codes, but rather to display ACCURATE engine rpm, coolant temperature, O2 Sensor or O2 Eliminator output voltage, etc.

It's frustrating that the Bluetooth does not work here. On my Rocky Mountain e-mountain bike, the bike feeds my Iphone ALL the data a rider could ever want via Bluetooth, all the time, without exception, and does so even with a SECOND Bluetooth device feeding the iPhone at the same time (a Polar heart rate monitor that lets me know my heart rate when trying to climb those 65% trail grades!).
Jim G

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hey Jim, why not just build a cable extension using good ole solder & heat shrink tubing.
I have zero experience making electrical stuff. I'd rather pay someone to do it right (i.e. make one that looks professional and is reliable). Seriously.

What I'd gladly pay someone to build for me is a setup that has the right 6-pin red connector to plug into my KDS connector, a cable long enough to reach comfortably to the Z400's left handlebar (where I already have a RAM ball mount), and a display unit just large enough to display about 4 data elements at a time, live realtime, in a size that can be ready while riding.

I'm tired of the tachometer that moves up or down in 500 rpm increments AND is inaccurate anyway, a coolant gage that uses bars instead of real numbers, and no ability to display things like O2 sensor voltage output.

Jim G

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi Jim,

I just checked; the combined two cables of the ODB2 tester and the Woolich red KDS plug adapter measures 71 inches long. That should easily reach from under the seat to the handle bars. This OBD2 reader; https://www.woolichracing.com/images/products/obd2-advanced-scanner.jpg
ZGuy:

1. MY eyes aren't good enough to read the printing on the scanner's face. Can it do "live" displays of up to 4 data elements at a time?

2. I know you got the cable adaptor from Woolich, but where do you get the scanner? (Hopefully I can get one locally versus having to import one from The U.S. with shipping being so slow right now)

3. How physically large is the scanner? (Height)

Jim G

·
Registered
619 Posts
It's particularly frustrating when my e-moutnain bike can successfully display stuff like this:

And, the BlueDrive bluetooth unit does recognize the VIN I enter for my Z400, and displays the following:

But then the BlueDriver cannot actually communicate with the KDS to get the live data. Either the adaptor cable from Tuning Tools is incorrect for my bike despite having the correct red 6-pin conenctor, or the BlueDriver software is somehow only partially compatible with KDS, or KDS is incomaptible with standard automotive OBD2 protocols. Too many possibilities to diagnose without spending too much time and money.

Disappointing.

Jim G

·
Registered
619 Posts
Found one obvious probelm: The pinout on the Tuning Tools adaptor cable is WRONG for my Canadian 2019 Z400 with 6-pin red KDS connector!

Here is the actual pinout for my factory KDS connector, viewed from its REAR where the wires are atached:

here is how the Tuning Tools pinout looks from its FRONT:

Even though the correct pinout is shown from the REAR, and the Tuning Tools pinout is shown from the FRONT (because that is the only way the 2 connectors' pinouts can be "seen"), it is obvious that my OEM connector uses only the OUTSIDE pins, whereas the Tuning Tools connector uses both INside pins and only THREE OUTside pins.

So, the "Tuning Tools Type 4" conenctor is NOT correct for a 2019 Canadian Z400, despite its similar etxernal appearance and 6-pin layout. :(

Again, I come back to needing a custom-made adaptor cable that has the correct pinout as shown on the first photo, as viewed from the REAR o the conenctor (where the wires attach)..

Jim G

·
Registered
619 Posts
You are the "Man", I've looked everywhere for this info. You know your ****, beyond a doubt. I wonder if this interface will work on a 2016 Mule 4010 trans 4x4. I've attached a diagram if you have a minute...could you
luklaus54: I am not sure who you addressed this to, but if me, I am not the right person. I simply worked my way down the thread, adapting the instructions given in the early postings as I found variances in wiring colors and in connector shapes and features. I have no idea how to address your Mule problem. The very early poster who first described the correct wires to connect might be able to help you, but I am not.

I was also unable to get the correct connector to use with my 2019 Z400. KawasakiBrad, who normally can supply conenctors and cables for many motorcycle needs, also has been unable to get the base connectors he would need to build an adaptor cable that would work for my 2019 Z400, due to the massive COVID shipping delays we are seeing on the TV news.. So, I think this whole idea, while great in theory, might not be doable at least in the short-term. Sorry. :(

Jim G

·
Registered
4 Posts
I appreciate your reply, I got it working by trying different combinations of my 3 wires, 4th wire was power. Just spliced it in with trailer type snap on along side type connectors. I'll post it ...Gotta clean it up a bit. Used a car type obd connector and just left it there next to KDS connector. It's friggen cool. 3 wires times three..there were 9 combinations and I got it after 4 attempts. My scanner came to life btw is KWP-xxx protocol. Had to scan all protocols every time. I have tools lol.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm glad you got it working! You are fortunate that you did no damage via the trial and error method. I insist on an adaptor that will plug into the OEM KDS connector. KawsakiBrad still hopes that the correct connector he ordered will at some point finally arrive. When it does, he will build me an adaptor cable that should work.

Jim G

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I am in the process of making one of these for my son's Ninja 400, do you know if it will work on a Vulcan 650s with the same type of 4 pin connector even if the colors are slightly different? Cheers.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts