Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
I just checked my 2019 Canadian Z400 as well. It too has the RED connector. So, if I want to be able to use a normal automotive code reader, I need the Woolich Racing adaptor cable, and not the Norton Motorsports adaptor cable?

Jim G

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hey, if the 6-pin cable adaptor is the correct one for a Z400, take a look at:

Read down the page what it can do. It says it can also grab the engine temperature and the Oxygen sensor output voltage!

So, if I understand this correctly, by attaching an OBD2 scanner that has a long enough cable, to this cable, you could have a temperature gage and also an Oxygen sensor reading.

I have an experiment going where getting that Oxygen sensor output would be advantageous for comparison purposes.

Jim G

2021-08-01 edit to above post: The cable arrived from Amazon.ca to day. This cable is NOT the correct one for my Z400 that has the red 6-terminal Diagnostic connector! It is a completely different size and shape. Despite what it says in the ad about working with Kawasaki motorcycles, it will not work with my Z400.

See Post 56 below.

Jim G

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ok, how do you "uncap" the RED diagnostic plug on the bike so that you can plug in the adaptor cable? The location under that rear body panel between the rider seat and the passenger seat makes it impossible to see where the release tab(s) is or are! :(

Jim G

·
Registered
619 Posts
Also, if I attach one of those BLUETOOTH scanners to the adaptor cable, I could then have it transmit a signal to my iPhone in its RAM mount on the handlebar, and thus have engine temperature, O2 sensor output, and an ACCURATE RPM reading all on my iPhone?

Jim G

·
Registered
111 Posts
Also, if I attach one of those BLUETOOTH scanners to the adaptor cable, I could then have it transmit a signal to my iPhone in its RAM mount on the handlebar, and thus have engine temperature, O2 sensor output, and an ACCURATE RPM reading all on my iPhone?
Yes, as long as you get a BLE or Apple-approved one. My earlier post has details.

·
Registered
860 Posts
FWIW, once I had a friend who used a bluetooth adaptor in order to read the OBDII code that my VW was throwing and he had quite a few connection problems between his adaptor and his cell phone. Just beware. I don't remember if he had an iPhone or an Android, so I don't know if what InvisiBill mentioned was the problem that we had. I ended up buying a cheap automotive OBDII scanner and I'm happy with that. Obviously, this scanner is not what Jim needs.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yes, as long as you get a BLE or Apple-approved one. My earlier post has details.
Ok, the BluedDriver OBD2 bluetooth unit I showed above (the Amazon link) uses an app that you download FREE from The Apple App Store, so I figure it must be Apple-approved in order to be offered via the App Store.

It is also one of the most costly OBD2 bluetooth units at $120CDN = $96US. I figure that makes the odds fairly high that it will do what I want, but I posted the question on the Questions section of the Amazon ad, and hopefully might get a response from either the vendor or another user.

Having a real-time display on my handlebar RAM-mounted iPhone that shows actual engine temperature, actual RPM, and the O2 Sensor output voltage would be awesome for the project I am working on.

Jim G

·
Registered
619 Posts
I downloaded the free BlueDriver app from The App Store. It is FABULOUS! Very easy to use (you don't even really need the included user manual). The only question now is: How many of the features are supported by our specific Ninja 400 or Z400 vehicle? The number iof features supported apparently varies by vehicle type, brand, and model, as near as I can figure. I've asked the question online at the Amazon ad and will wait to see if I get an answer.

Jim G

edit: I called BlueDriver at their customer service no. Got a very thorough explanation about how the unit works and learned:

- It will work to at least some extent with any vehicle (car, truck, boat, RV, motorcycle) that has an OBD2 compliant system. SOME vehciles will have more features, and some less, depending on what the vehicle manufacturer included or excluded in its diagnostic programming.

- There is a 180 day refund policy. If within 180 days you see that it does not do what you need, you can return it for a full refund.

So, I ordered it.

I now have both the unit and an adaptor cable that looks compliant for my Z400 coming from Amazon.ca, so will report back once I have received and tested the BlueDriver and the adaptor cable.

Jim G

·
Registered
619 Posts
Repeating an earlier question that has not yet been answered: How do you "uncap" the RED diagnostic plug on the Z400 so that you can plug in the adaptor cable?

The location under that rear body panel between the rider seat and the passenger seat makes it impossible to see where the release tab(s) is or are.

Jim G

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi Jim, I sold my 400, but I do not recall that it was too difficult to access. My new Z900 has the same plug!
the problem is not getting access to the connector. It is figuring out how to disconnect its cap when I cannot pull it out from behind the bodywork to actually see where the release pin(s) for the cap might be! :(

Jim G

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ok, I've now found the whole true story:

Finding the Kawasaki Diagnostic port connector:

Remove first the passenger seat

Remove next the rider's seat

Behind where rider’s seat was, but in front of where passenger seat was,
and inside a plastic protector secured by a rubber band

Remove the rubber band

Remove the plastic protector

There is a black 6 pin ABS plug

and

a white 4 pin Kawaski Diagnostic System (KDS) plug (Ninja 400)
or
a red 6-pin Kawasaki Diagnostic System (KDS) plug with only 4 wires in it (Z400)

You want the KDS connector (NOT the 6-pin ABS connector).

To confirm you have the correct KDS connector: the wires going into the back side of the KDS connector are:
LG / BK = Light Green (actually Light blue!) / Black (Yes, I know the Ninja 400 manual shows it as "Light Green". Either that is an error, or the Ninja and the Z400 use a different colour code on this 1 wire)
BR / W = Brown / White
BK / W = Black / White
GY / BL = Gray / Blue

Releasing the cap on the red KDS connector:

The red cap on the red KDS connector is released by lifting the small tab on 1 side of the cap and pulling the cap off past the little “wedge block” beneath the small tab.

The cap is replaced by aligning the wedge block with the small tab, while also aligning the 2 “grooves & ridges” on 2 other sides of the cap, and then simply sliding it on.

Jim G

·
Registered
619 Posts
Edit to Post 42 above, about the adpator cable I ordered:

The cable arrived from Amazon.ca to day. This cable is NOT the correct one for my Z400 that has the red 6-terminal Diagnostic connector! It is a completely different size and shape. Despite what it says in the ad about working with Kawasaki motorcycles, it will not work with my Z400.

In this photo, you can see that both the physical size and layout of the pins is different:

So, I have the BlueDriver Bluetooth OBD2 unit, but I need a different adaptor cable, and don't know where to get the right cable yet, nor am I able to make one at home.

The objective here is to use the Bluetooth OBD2 unit to transmit engine parameters, including coolant temperature, O2 Sensor output, actual RPM (not just the OEM 500-rpm-imprecise pointer on the Z400 instrument panel) to my iPhone, which will sit in a RAM-mounted cradle. I should be able to get all sorts of useful info from the OBD2.

Having this capability would be particularly helpful in an experiment I am running on an O2 Sensor Eliminator.

Anyone out there who can help?

I'm willing to pay someone who can make a correct adaptor cable.

Jim G

·
Registered
619 Posts
Success on sourcing the proper adaptor cable for my 2019 Z400.

I found a website for "Tuner Tools" which is based in New Hampshire. They make and sell tuning adaptors and OBD2 adapters for vehciles inclduing motorcycles. I sent them a photo of my 6-pin KDS connector, and they responded telling me that it is what is called the "Euro" version KDS connector, now being used on some newer Kawasaki models. Note that this is NOT the same 6-pin terminal as used by the Woolich cable.

It is new enough in terms of actual usage that Tuner Tools has only now starting making them. It is not yet even posted on their website.

But when I asked to buy one, and sent them all my (Internaitonal) address info, they made a custom e-invoice for me, which I paid via credit card, and they are shipping the cable to me. The cost is $29.99US plus shipping.

So, for those of you who have the Euro 6-pin connector, this is at least one source who apparently offers the right OBD2adaptor for it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Well that's strange because this Woolich cable worked fine on my 2019 Z;

The webpage you linked is for the FOUR pin adaptor cable and in orange colour (Their title description calls it a "type 4" even though they later say it's for the Kawaski "6-pin" conenctor). When I looked at their website yesterday for the "6-pin" adaptor, they showed a WHITE adaptor with a different external shape than my Euro 6-pin connector. Their photo did not show the pin layout, but since the external shape was "wrong" for my Z400, I immediately moved on in my Google search, not wanting to get the wrong adaptor!

Is your KDS connector a 4-pin or 6-pin? (The CONNECTOR, not the wires. We know that the number of wires is 4, but the connector can be 4-pin or 6-pin)

One of the order documents I have from Tuner Tools referred to the adaptor I ordered as a "Euro 5". I think that refers to the latest Euro emissions standards. I'm starting to get the feeling that Kawasaki has shipped Z400s with more than one type of KDS connector, possibly because they were adapting to the latest Euro emission standards right when the Z400 was coming to market. If this is so, it really complicates buying the correct adaptor for whatever version of the connector is on your specific Z400. And, this thread had already established that the connectos on the Ninja 400 and Z400 are different.

Sigh . . . :(

Jim G

·
Registered
619 Posts
I think I see what is going on at the Woolich site. Look at this screenshot of their other webpage:

See the 2 different KDS adaptors there now (Tyoe 3 and Type 4)? Yesterday, Google took me to the Type 3 one only. It looks like the "Type 4" might refer to "version" rather than number of pins. Woolich evidently has a white connector (Type 3) and then an orange connector "Type 4"). BOTH are apaprently "6-pin". So, Kwasaki must have sent out bikes with at least 2 different versions of 6-pin KDS connectors??

By the way, there are at least FOUR different versions of KDS cables on that same webpage:

presumably some for 4-pin connector and some for 6-pin connectors?

Jim G

41 - 60 of 80 Posts