Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
I paid the man for the adapter harness, but my cheap, ancient OBD2 reader worked just fine and cleared my evap code no worries, so at least I had that going for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help!!!

Trying to use this method to access codes on a 2007 ER6N, but getting nothing. Cable made to link kds to obd2, using autel scanner on kwp2000 but not connecting. Surely kawasaki use the same system on different models.

Any help much appreciated

·
Registered
81 Posts
Help!!!

Trying to use this method to access codes on a 2007 ER6N, but getting nothing. Cable made to link kds to obd2, using autel scanner on kwp2000 but not connecting. Surely kawasaki use the same system on different models.

Make sure the wires are correct on the adapter you made, it’s easy to have it backwards because of looking at it from a different angle. When you connect the scanner, does it power on? I think I had to swap the k lines when I made mine. If you have an auto-select for protocol, try it. It’s unlikely they are using anything other than KWP-2000, but there are plenty of other standards they could be using. Outside of these things, I don’t have any experience with that bike, but I would imagine someone has done this before.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Help!!!

I've seen it quoted there may be two of these connectors on your bike. You have to select the correct one for it to work of course. I can't give credence to this as I don't own an 07 ER6N

This shows it up under the passenger seat:

·
Registered
1 Posts
This took a bit of mucking around to nut this out but we ended-up with a great solution for clearing codes without having to do the "Kawasaki code clear silly dance 3 times".

Parts needed:
OBD-II socket from a car.

Soldering iron, solder, electrical tape to join 4 wires neatly to the loom.

I went to the local car wrecker and bought an OBD-II (On Board Diagnostics) socket from a random Holden Commodore for $10 but I expect with some searching you could get one for nothing from a wreck and any manufacturer in the last 20 years odd will have an OBD2 in the dash.

Make sure they leave some of the wiring loom attached (150mm or so)
Make sure it has 5 wires coming out of it at least.

Below is a picture of a OBD2 socket pinout, the pins you need for the Ninja 400 are:

Pin 4 - Ground
Pin 5 - Ground
Pin 7 - K-line
Pin 15 - L-Line
Pin 16 - +12v

If the 5 wires on your OBD-2 socket are not those pins don't panic, it's easy enough to insert a small screwdriver in the socket and un-clip a pin, slide it out the back of the plug and put it into the right hole.

Locate the KDS plug under the seat (picture attached below)
It's in a opaque plastic boot with rubber-band holding it in place.
There is a black 6 pin plug (ABS) and a white 4 pin plug (KDS), the KDS is the one you want.

From the back (wire side) of the KDS the wire colours are:

BK/W --- GY/BL
BR/W --- LG/BK

From your OBD-2 socket:

Join the wires from pin 4 and 5 together and connect it to KDS-BK/W
OBD2- pin 7 connected to KDS-GY/BL
OBD2- pin 15 connected to KDS-LG/BK
OBD2- pin 16 connected to KDS-BR/W

From another project I already had some Tyco superseal pins so used the blank KDS cap to make a socket but you could wire direct to the wires in the loom or try and source a matching socket. Don't remove the KDS plug from the loom though as your bike shop will use it during a service.

Picture below of the Commodore OBD2 socket after changing the 4 pins to suit the Ninja.

All you do then is plug-in a simple OBD2 reader ($20 odd on ebay like the MaxiScan below) and you can read the codes and clear them.

Make sure t.hat the OBD2 reader you get does the protocol KWP-2000 (Key Word Protocol). Most but not all readers do KWP, the manual for the reader should show the details in the specs sheet

We mounted it under the pillion seat for easy access on the Ninja 400.

Takes about 3 seconds to plug this in and clear the code from the dash.
Wire 5 Volt attach to pin 7 or 15 ?? ( wire color on mine are different)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts