Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This took a bit of mucking around to nut this out but we ended-up with a great solution for clearing codes without having to do the "Kawasaki code clear silly dance 3 times".

Parts needed:
OBD-II socket from a car.

Soldering iron, solder, electrical tape to join 4 wires neatly to the loom.

I went to the local car wrecker and bought an OBD-II (On Board Diagnostics) socket from a random Holden Commodore for $10 but I expect with some searching you could get one for nothing from a wreck and any manufacturer in the last 20 years odd will have an OBD2 in the dash.

Make sure they leave some of the wiring loom attached (150mm or so)
Make sure it has 5 wires coming out of it at least.

Below is a picture of a OBD2 socket pinout, the pins you need for the Ninja 400 are:

Pin 4 - Ground
Pin 5 - Ground
Pin 7 - K-line
Pin 15 - L-Line
Pin 16 - +12v

If the 5 wires on your OBD-2 socket are not those pins don't panic, it's easy enough to insert a small screwdriver in the socket and un-clip a pin, slide it out the back of the plug and put it into the right hole.

Locate the KDS plug under the seat (picture attached below)
It's in a opaque plastic boot with rubber-band holding it in place.
There is a black 6 pin plug (ABS) and a white 4 pin plug (KDS), the KDS is the one you want.

From the back (wire side) of the KDS the wire colours are:

BK/W --- GY/BL
BR/W --- LG/BK

From your OBD-2 socket:

Join the wires from pin 4 and 5 together and connect it to KDS-BK/W
OBD2- pin 7 connected to KDS-GY/BL
OBD2- pin 15 connected to KDS-LG/BK
OBD2- pin 16 connected to KDS-BR/W

From another project I already had some Tyco superseal pins so used the blank KDS cap to make a socket but you could wire direct to the wires in the loom or try and source a matching socket. Don't remove the KDS plug from the loom though as your bike shop will use it during a service.

Picture below of the Commodore OBD2 socket after changing the 4 pins to suit the Ninja.

All you do then is plug-in a simple OBD2 reader ($20 odd on ebay like the MaxiScan below) and you can read the codes and clear them.

Make sure that the OBD2 reader you get does the protocol KWP-2000 (Key Word Protocol). Most but not all readers do KWP, the manual for the reader should show the details in the specs sheet

We mounted it under the pillion seat for easy access on the Ninja 400.

Takes about 3 seconds to plug this in and clear the code from the dash.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,221 Posts
Ayjayef, great!! Your timing was perfect. I had a #13 code. I thought that I didn't plug the air temp sender into the air box very well. While I was messing with it I dropped the box cover and broke the wires that go into the plug. I also broke the plug while trying to "repair" it. I should have stayed inside today!! Anyways, while I was putting everything back together, I wired up my bluetooth ODBII to the harness....It works great, though I can't clear the code until I put a new plug and possibly a new sensor on the box. Thanks!!

PS anyone know what kind of plug is pictured below? The only part numbers that I can find are the entire wiring harness.... Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kawasaki don't sell many of the plugs on the loom separate but thankfully Joe at Cycle Terminal does.
Sumitomo HX .040 - .090 Connector and Terminals

I would love one of everything Joe sells in a box in the shed, you always need these things at short notice like your oops.

Most of the plugs on Kawasaki looms use Tyco / Amp Te Superseal pins so you might find that you can take the socket to a local auto electrician who can repin it for you too (if the socket is okay)

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Kawasaki don't sell many of the plugs on the loom separate but thankfully Joe at Cycle Terminal does.
Sumitomo HX .040 - .090 Connector and Terminals

I would love one of everything Joe sells in a box in the shed, you always need these things at short notice like your oops.

Most of the plugs on Kawasaki looms use Tyco / Amp Te Superseal pins so you might find that you can take the socket to a local auto electrician who can repin it for you too (if the socket is okay)
Great info mate, good to have someone on here who knows this stuff.

·
Super Moderator
1,221 Posts
I just repaired my broken AirTemp sender plug. Plugged in my OBDII reader and cleared the #13 code. Thanks ayjayef for all that great info on how to hook it all up. For me, unless I wait and clear a code from 2am-4am on the highway, it would be very difficult to ride above 25mph...

·
Registered
64 Posts
This took a bit of mucking around to nut this out but we ended-up with a great solution for clearing codes without having to do the "Kawasaki code clear silly dance 3 times".

Parts needed:
OBD-II socket from a car.

Soldering iron, solder, electrical tape to join 4 wires neatly to the loom.

I went to the local car wrecker and bought an OBD-II (On Board Diagnostics) socket from a random Holden Commodore for $10 but I expect with some searching you could get one for nothing from a wreck and any manufacturer in the last 20 years odd will have an OBD2 in the dash.

Make sure they leave some of the wiring loom attached (150mm or so)
Make sure it has 5 wires coming out of it at least.

Below is a picture of a OBD2 socket pinout, the pins you need for the Ninja 400 are:

Pin 4 - Ground
Pin 5 - Ground
Pin 7 - K-line
Pin 15 - L-Line
Pin 16 - +12v

If the 5 wires on your OBD-2 socket are not those pins don't panic, it's easy enough to insert a small screwdriver in the socket and un-clip a pin, slide it out the back of the plug and put it into the right hole.

Locate the KDS plug under the seat (picture attached below)
It's in a opaque plastic boot with rubber-band holding it in place.
There is a black 6 pin plug (ABS) and a white 4 pin plug (KDS), the KDS is the one you want.

From the back (wire side) of the KDS the wire colours are:

BK/W --- GY/BL
BR/W --- LG/BK

From your OBD-2 socket:

Join the wires from pin 4 and 5 together and connect it to KDS-BK/W
OBD2- pin 7 connected to KDS-GY/BL
OBD2- pin 15 connected to KDS-LG/BK
OBD2- pin 16 connected to KDS-BR/W

From another project I already had some Tyco superseal pins so used the blank KDS cap to make a socket but you could wire direct to the wires in the loom or try and source a matching socket. Don't remove the KDS plug from the loom though as your bike shop will use it during a service.

Picture below of the Commodore OBD2 socket after changing the 4 pins to suit the Ninja.

All you do then is plug-in a simple OBD2 reader ($20 odd on ebay like the MaxiScan below) and you can read the codes and clear them.

Make sure that the OBD2 reader you get does the protocol KWP-2000 (Key Word Protocol). Most but not all readers do KWP, the manual for the reader should show the details in the specs sheet

We mounted it under the pillion seat for easy access on the Ninja 400.

Takes about 3 seconds to plug this in and clear the code from the dash.
Awesome work!:clap: I could use this with a Bluetooth ODB reader and then display that data in the Torque app on my phone. That would look so slick. I know you said you recycled the cap to make your own connector but can you tell me which one I would need from here? : Sumitomo HX .040 - .090 Connector and Terminals

I would like to make a really clean interface cable. But like you were saying I could always just t-tap into the wires and run in parallel leaving the factory plug available. What do you think I should do? My application will be to leave the BT adapter in all the time. Which aside from power draw, do you think that would have any negative effects? I know it makes my car ECU act funny if it is plugged in constantly.

Thank you.

Jesse

·
Super Moderator
1,221 Posts
I would like to make a really clean interface cable. But like you were saying I could always just t-tap into the wires and run in parallel leaving the factory plug available. What do you think I should do? My application will be to leave the BT adapter in all the time. Which aside from power draw, do you think that would have any negative effects? I know it makes my car ECU act funny if it is plugged in constantly.

Thank you.

Jesse
I would make sure that I left that plug intact. Not only is that plug good for clearing codes, it is also used for most tuning software and if you ever get your bike put on a dyno, they will probably want to use that same plug. Using the dust cap to make a OBD2 harness is a great idea. I purchased a "pre wired" harness for Kawasaki bikes. It had both connectors but was wired incorrect. A few minutes with the OP pics and I was set up. I used my BT OBD2 checker to clear a code. My Woolich Logbox is now plugged in to it full time and in a few weeks when I get a dyno, they will use that plug to hook to their system. I leave my BT OBD2 plugged into my truck as it has 300,000 miles of hard labor under its belt and enjoys throwing codes my way when I least expect it, mostly emission codes...I'm about to teach it a lesson and put a snow plow on it for next season! I would think if your BT OBD2 reader is messing with your car, you might think twice about plugging it into your bike. Probably fine, but it is a direct connection to the ECU....HAL 9000: " I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. .."

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know you said you recycled the cap to make your own connector but can you tell me which one I would need from here? : Sumitomo HX .040 - .090 Connector and Terminals
You want the HM .090 sealed connector. The OEM cap is just a sealed-up natural-colored Male HM090-4. It's also available in black. Toward the bottom of the page, there's also the MT090-4C, which is the same thing minus the mounting loop on the bottom for a few cents cheaper. That one would be slightly more appropriate for an adapter cable, but it isn't available in black. You can find wired female OBD2 (J1962) sockets for US$5-10 on eBay.

For those of you not in the US, Eastern Beaver out of Japan is a good source of connectors too.

My application will be to leave the BT adapter in all the time. Which aside from power draw, do you think that would have any negative effects? I know it makes my car ECU act funny if it is plugged in constantly.
I can leave my BT (4.0 LE) OBD2 adapter plugged into my Volt with no issues, but other forum members have reported problems on theirs. It seems to be dependent on the adapter and/or vehicle as to how well it behaves. Personally, I'd give it a shot on the bike and see how it reacts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did anyone successfully connect their 4-pin KDS>to>OBD2 connector to a Bluetooth OBD device and then to a Mobile OBD2 app, such as Torque Pro, ior another mobile app? If so, were you able to clear the fault codes?

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have Norton's plug with a BlueDriver iPhone app. Works great.
Nice, I don’t have any codes on my 400. But good to know Norton carries the plug.:clap: I like that BlueDriver plug. I already have an OBDll scanner, would be nice to be wireless.

·
Super Moderator
1,221 Posts
I have older cars and drive them back and forth between Colorado and California so its nice to have something in the middle of no where! There was a guy on this forum who posted the pin layouts, so originally I made my own cable but It was very crude and I could not resist the well made one from Norton.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone successfully connect their 4-pin KDS>to>OBD2 connector to a Bluetooth OBD device and then to a Mobile OBD2 app, such as Torque Pro, ior another mobile app? If so, were you able to clear the fault codes?
so the 6 pin kawasaki hook up cable is done and easy to buy now .... THE question is how do you connect / scan / clear the 4 pin Kawasaki's like the 2017 Z650 ?
im here to work on the bike and fix it ... not ride it around town for 20 miles .... that whole having to ride a bike to clear a check engine light is insane stupid !
why is there not a 4 pin Kawasaki to OBD2 adapter cable available anywhere ?
why has the motorcycle industry NOT be mandated to have a OBD2 type of standard for all motorcycles to hook up to and talk to ? like the cars have been doing for over 30 years now

·
Super Moderator
1,221 Posts
so the 6 pin kawasaki hook up cable is done and easy to buy now .... THE question is how do you connect / scan / clear the 4 pin Kawasaki's like the 2017 Z650 ?
im here to work on the bike and fix it ... not ride it around town for 20 miles .... that whole having to ride a bike to clear a check engine light is insane stupid !
why is there not a 4 pin Kawasaki to OBD2 adapter cable available anywhere ?
why has the motorcycle industry NOT be mandated to have a OBD2 type of standard for all motorcycles to hook up to and talk to ? like the cars have been doing for over 30 years now
Pretty sure the plug on the bike is the standard KDS 4pin. Nortons adapter fits that. I made my own cable using the protective cap and a OBD plug, the wiring is on this thread. But Norton's is fantastic, plug and play.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Woo. Just used this guide to make my own adapter. Thanks for the pinouts. I can confirm that a Veepeak Wifi OBD2 adapter and Torque work to interface with the system via KW2000 protocol. I can also confirm that the Harbor Freight Zurich ZR13 OBD2 unit works with the Kawasaki Ninja 400 via the OBD2 adapter.

I had a CEL from leaving my crank sensor unplugged from when I was cleaning up some wiring under the tank and tried to start the bike. Of course it ran when I plugged it back in, but I haven't had the chance to ride it enough to clear the code. Perfect excuse to build one. I also am not paying $40 for ~$10 in connectors when I have the crimps tools already :D Plus I enjoy it. The HM090-4 set is only $5.55 from Joe at Cycle Terminal, I just saw someone mentioned that above. The OBD2 you can get at a local auto parts store with pigtails for ~15 if you want it already wired up.

It was cool to see the Torque App work with it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts