Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, after I bought the bike and we prepped it for the track they removed the radiator coolant and used distilled water. Do I need to remove the water and replace with antifreeze to keep the water jackets from rusting? Is there anything else I can put in it? Something without glycol in it.

What do you other racers do?

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Quick question, after I bought the bike and we prepped it for the track they removed the radiator coolant and used distilled water. Do I need to remove the water and replace with antifreeze to keep the water jackets from rusting? Is there anything else I can put in it? Something without glycol in it.

What do you other racers do?
I just use a 50/50 mix of tap water and the antifreeze that we use at work Ha ha. Not sure if it has glycol in it or not. It acts as a coolant which is probably handy in the Philippines. Not that you need any anti-freezing properties there!
I think technically we are all supposed to use a special race track friendly coolant that isn't slippery if it gets on the track but nobody checks it and it sounds expensive.
I will probably need to get some before I do the nationals this summer though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Distilled water and mocool is what I have in mine. You can leave that in there for as long as you like until the cold weather comes. Distilled water and mocool is supposed to make your bike run cooler than actual coolant. Coolant is used for its anti-freezing properties. You're safe to leave just distilled water in until temps start dropping.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I use distilled water and water wetter. Water wetter has rust inhibitors and lubricating properties. Any similar product works just as well. In Southern California I can leave it in all year, because it never gets cold.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I use distilled water and water wetter. Water wetter has rust inhibitors and lubricating properties. Any similar product works just as well. In Southern California I can leave it in all year, because it never gets cold.
Same with the water wetter. Ditto on living in California (NorCal). Double trouble as my house is 1 mile away from the Ocean. Salt water plus metal is no good.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Tracks here ask for Water Wetter or Engine Ice to avoid the slippery when spilled glycol component.
They are also supposed to improve cooling performance.

When changing coolant type, everyone recommends to flush the system with distilled water at least twice.
Probably know this already, but between flushes, remember to warm up the bike until the thermostat opens and coolant circulates through the whole system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts