Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I heard some riders say that the display is hard to read in direct sunlight. Or certain things are too small to read.

For the owners, what do you think?

Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not one issue.
Who in their right mind would complain about arguably the best sport bike dash out there. Oh wait, I know people that complain about getting a gift..

FWIW, when I'm sitting at a light and the sun is beaming over my shoulder right at the dash. I have to move my head a whole two inches to the left or right to check my engine temp reading. :surprise:

·
Registered
440 Posts
I am near blind in one eye and need 150+ reading glasses to see the computer screen with the other.. yet, I have no issue reading the dash without eye wear while riding.. . Put your worries to rest.

·
Registered
501 Posts
When there's direct sunlight on the dash, yes, you wont be able to see clearly. Think of it like 20% visibillity.

But tbh.. if you are riding according to the road conditions and not going beyond your abilities, there shouldn't be any problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot everyone. It goes a long way when actual owners tell you like it is. I love the dash and think it is the best one in it's class.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Dash lighting can be modded with simple led swaps. But that's an entirely different topic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ehhhh, IMO the dash DOES have visibility issues. It's quite susceptible to glare, and in sunlight I often have a hard time reading it. Not a matter of text size or layout, I think it's the surface reflectivity + maybe the inverted white-on-black color.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
I dont recall ever having any issues seeing the dash so I guess if there was ever any difficulty it must have been fairly minor.
But those TFT dashes look to be the way forward.

·
Registered
105 Posts
No problem for me, don't remember had to adjust myself to see the screen. Maybe if you do have problems, maybe add matt screen protector?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Problems reading the N400 dash

I agree, the dash does have some issues with visibility. I noticed that in direct sunlight I could read it OK, but when in the shade it was sometimes barely visible. I am talking about the LCD Instrument Panel (not the tack, but the digital readouts on the right with the blue background). I took several pictures and went to the dealership. They talked with Kawasaki, who apparently knew about the problem, and they agreed to replace the dash under warranty. I got the new dash and, while better, it is still not always easy to read (like when shaded) as I would like. The dealership said that the new dash they installed from Kawasaki was specifically designed to get around this problem. I am from California with a lot of sunshine but ride the canyons where you can get a lot of shade. Also when the sun is lower in the sky and you are riding towards it, which puts your dash in the shade. I included some shots of my N400 dash which I used to show the dealer regarding how the display was acting (they go from good to bad which should be fairly obvious).

Attachments

·
Registered
501 Posts
I agree, the dash does have some issues with visibility. I noticed that in direct sunlight I could read it OK, but when in the shade it was sometimes barely visible. I am talking about the LCD Instrument Panel (not the tack, but the digital readouts on the right with the blue background). I took several pictures and went to the dealership. They talked with Kawasaki, who apparently knew about the problem, and they agreed to replace the dash under warranty. I got the new dash and, while better, it is still not always easy to read (like when shaded) as I would like. The dealership said that the new dash they installed from Kawasaki was specifically designed to get around this problem. I am from California with a lot of sunshine but ride the canyons where you can get a lot of shade. Also when the sun is lower in the sky and you are riding towards it, which puts your dash in the shade. I included some shots of my N400 dash which I used to show the dealer regarding how the display was acting (they go from good to bad which should be fairly obvious).
I find it stupid Kawasaki knows about this and created a specail dash for this kind of issue... I mean, why not install them in the first place?

·
Registered
440 Posts
They talked with Kawasaki, who apparently knew about the problem, and they agreed to replace the dash under warranty.

The dealership said that the new dash they installed from Kawasaki was specifically designed to get around this problem.

Can you do the same timing and set of pictures with the NEW dash?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Kawasaki has used a similar dash on the Ninja 1000 for the last two years and it has drawn many similar complaints.

Kawasaki has just shown the 2019 version of the Ninja 1000 and they changed the dash to black on white background and it looks like it might fix the problem.

I hope they do the same for the Ninja 400 for 2019. I'm saving up to buy mine, but the 19's might be available by the time I have enough money saved.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I also find it difficult to see in certain shaded conditions, but I'm not really bothered by it. After all, my previous bike for the longest time had nothing working but the tachometer, until I finally replaced the speedometer cable. All the lights other than oil, signal and high-beam indicators don't work on that bike so at night it's total stealth mode. So, I'm not really used to having much of a dash anyway!

Now, on the N400, I find the high-beam indicator way too bright. It's practically blinding. I really need to find a bit of translucent tape to stick over it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kawasaki seems to be allergic to good digital dashes. It's sad to hear that some are having issues. My Versys-X 300 is quite horrible. It's black characters on a mid-grey background. You can only see it when the sun shines directly on it.

Even then the fuel and temp gages are difficult to see. They are little blocks stacked along the very outside edge where there's almost always a bit of shadow from the edging. And there's a whole lot of empty space further in where you could at least see them in direct sunlight.

I rely on my handlebar mounted GPS whenever I care about how fast I'm going.

It would be nice if they tested these designs with ordinary people with a variety of ordinary vision.

...ken...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts