Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I had a bad experience with my last bike with different make of tyres front and back. So when i changed my REAR tyre on my 400, I made a point to getting the same Dunlop tyre as stock which works fine for me. I am nearly ready for my next replacement REAR tyre again. Will a be able to change to any make REAR tyre of which I find the best value on the 400. On my last bike I changed my stock FRONT tyre from a Bridgestone to Metzeler and the bike was very hard to control at speed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
:cool: Did you recheck the presures after you broke the tires in? I run 32 rear and 32-35 on the ft and always ride with no rider, If you change the ft and the rear has a flat area in the middle from miles , the bike will handle wierd,...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Different tire makes and models have different profiles, and some CAN create handling issues when combining different makes and models on a bike, or when the UNchanged tire has significant wear patterns on it. Most of us are not knowledgeable enough and experienced enough on tire design to predict the "bad combinations". But, we can talk to (a) dealers whose experience we trust, and (b) racers who have developed a very good experience base via their personal racing on a bike of the same base model as ours. Talk to such people to get some experienced guidance.

Choosing tires CAREFULLY can make a profound difference in your riding experience. On one bike I owned, a Harley Breakout, changing both the front and rera tires from the OEM Dunlops (which were very heavy) to lightweight Pirelli tires made the bike feel like it had lost "concrete overshoes" in the process! I could not eblieve HOW much better the bike handled, turned, and accelerated after the tire swap. Night and day difference.

Jim G

1 - 3 of 3 Posts