Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no info on where the bike is being delivered from. I was just wondering if anyone in the Midwest area has had to order the 400 and about how long it took to arrive.
I ordered last Wednesday (4-18) and haven't heard anything yet. I would think if there was a dealer around with a pearl yellow my dealer would try and grab it up for me? Not sure how that works though.

Its going to be 70 plus degrees and sunshine all week so I'm getting a little itchy!

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I have no info on where the bike is being delivered from. I was just wondering if anyone in the Midwest area has had to order the 400 and about how long it took to arrive.
I ordered last Wednesday (4-18) and haven't heard anything yet. I would think if there was a dealer around with a pearl yellow my dealer would try and grab it up for me? Not sure how that works though.

Its going to be 70 plus degrees and sunshine all week so I'm getting a little itchy!
I'm not sure how thing work in the states but here in New Zealand it definitely DOES NOT work like that. I was gutted when I had to wait an extra month for my bike cos my local dealer missed out on the first shipment. There was a bike sitting in a dealer show room 3.5 hrs drive from my home town that no-one had ordered but it didnt matter, couldn't have it. I was severely unimpressed!

Hopefully you get your bike sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I know with cars, they do that. Not sure how Motorsports dealerships work. Honestly, just call the closet dealership that has it, and pay the $500 to get it shipped to you lol

·
Registered
211 Posts
Jeeze I just checked CycleTrader for a generic K.C. Zip code and within 100 miles of it (64030), and there's only 4 showing available. 3 Non-ABS and 1 ABS just blue or black. Did the same search for my zip code (44250) and there's 48 listed...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeeze I just checked CycleTrader for a generic K.C. Zip code and within 100 miles of it (64030), and there's only 4 showing available. 3 Non-ABS and 1 ABS just blue or black. Did the same search for my zip code (44250) and there's 48 listed...
LMAO! I know my dealer has at least 1 of each of the blue, black and krt. There's a couple others with just the blue and black.
I decided to go with bigger dealership being that they've been around for 30+ years thinking they could get it done in a timely matter...we will see.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
:eek: That's Bonkers!! If I have to wait a month I WILL be driving to closest location that has my bike haha!!
Yes your right, I would have been better off not pre-ordering a bike and just waiting to see which dealers ended up with extra stock and buying one from them. Next time I will be wiser!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Vader! I think the way dealer inventory works is the dealers commit to numbers and colors at their respective dealer meetings months prior to actually receiving machines. This can explain why some dealers have a bunch and some have...none or only a few all summer. In the spring and prime buying season dealer trades could be difficult. If your local dealer is promising reasonable delivery time frame..great. If it is an unknown you may be better off looking for other Kawi dealers within a driving distance you are willing to travel to. I think there are a lot of N4's out there now at dealerships or incoming. Look at their website inventory and call them if they appear to have what you want.........

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vader! I think the way dealer inventory works is the dealers commit to numbers and colors at their respective dealer meetings months prior to actually receiving machines. This can explain why some dealers have a bunch and some have...none or only a few all summer. In the spring and prime buying season dealer trades could be difficult. If your local dealer is promising reasonable delivery time frame..great. If it is an unknown you may be better off looking for other Kawi dealers within a driving distance you are willing to travel to. I think there are a lot of N4's out there now at dealerships or incoming. Look at their website inventory and call them if they appear to have what you want.........
That sounds logical as to what the dealers may agree upon. The problem it seems is none of them agreed to order enough, if any of the pearl solar yellow lol. I can see why as most people I would assume would want the krt for that price. I just don't care for that big ass 400 across the fairings!

When I checked the dealer site it said it was in stock. When I called he said he didn't have it on the floor but it was in the warehouse. He called back later to say it was a mistake or clerical error and he would have to order one. He also said it should be the middle of next week. He said that last Wednesday.
So tomorrow If I don't hear from him by lunch time I will be pestering him until I can get a straight answer. I mean, there has to be some sort of tracking right?

·
Registered
423 Posts
That sounds logical as to what the dealers may agree upon. The problem it seems is none of them agreed to order enough, if any of the pearl solar yellow lol. I can see why as most people I would assume would want the krt for that price. I just don't care for that big ass 400 across the fairings!

When I checked the dealer site it said it was in stock. When I called he said he didn't have it on the floor but it was in the warehouse. He called back later to say it was a mistake or clerical error and he would have to order one. He also said it should be the middle of next week. He said that last Wednesday.
So tomorrow If I don't hear from him by lunch time I will be pestering him until I can get a straight answer. I mean, there has to be some sort of tracking right?
I agree with @xplorguy. You also need to take into account each dealer is probably allocated a certain number of bikes similar to car dealers. I'm sure one of the factors for dealer allocations are based on past sales volumes.

Either (1) Kawasaki limited the production of the Pearl Solar Yellow/Gray for the US market, (2) the dealers in your local area assumed the other color options (Blue, Black, KRT) would be more popular and did not order as many, or (3) there are a lot of buyers in your area that are buying the color combo you want.

I live in NYC and purchased mine in mid March. All the dealers I called or went to around the area had the Black, Pearl Yellow and KRT. The dealer I ended up purchasing from also had a Blue Non-ABS in stock so they had all the colors. The weather sucked in March which could account why there was no lack of inventory.

Color is very subjective and I like something about all the color options in the US and Non-US markets. There's a lot of folks on the forum that actually like the KRT and bought one. :) I had a hard time deciding between the KRT and Pear Yellow and ended up with the latter.

If you are tired of waiting, why not check some non-local dealers for that color? Some dealers like the one I bought from provide free delivery up to a certain distance.

Did you already negotiate a good OTD price from the dealers you are working with or put down a deposit? Maybe you get a better deal on the bikes they already have in stock.

Also if you like the KRT but just don't like the 400 decals, they can easily be peeled off. But then again if I didn't like any of the decals, I wouldn't want to pay the extra $200 premium so I would just go with the Black ABS.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have nothing against anyone who bought the krt and I pretty much like all the color schemes in all the markets. 9 times out of 10 for me I will always choose the solid color, and more so the black (matches my cape) My last 3 bikes were black. Something just stuck out with the solar yellow that I just gotta have it lol!

I've already negotiated a fair price and placed a deposit. Before hand I did my due diligence and checked around for in stock solars but to no avail. It will be a week tomorrow so its not like kiwi where ive had to wait more than a month or anything so I'm not getting upset about it. Just getting itchy, as in the weather is nice and I wanna ride!!

Any way, this thread has gone way off topic as my initial question was ...has anyone had to order a bike in the Midwest area and if so how long it took to take delivery

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have nothing against anyone who bought the krt and I pretty much like all the color schemes in all the markets. 9 times out of 10 for me I will always choose the solid color, and more so the black (matches my cape) My last 3 bikes were black. Something just stuck out with the solar yellow that I just gotta have it lol!

I've already negotiated a fair price and placed a deposit. Before hand I did my due diligence and checked around for in stock solars but to no avail. It will be a week tomorrow so its not like kiwi where ive had to wait more than a month or anything so I'm not getting upset about it. Just getting itchy, as in the weather is nice and I wanna ride!!

Any way, this thread has gone way off topic as my initial question was ...has anyone had to order a bike in the Midwest area and if so how long it took to take delivery
Definitely cannot disagree with wanting what you want since you have to be happy with your purchase. I'm not sure if you've seen the Pear Yellow/Gray in person...it looks even better! I really liked the KRT but I wanted a more subtle color that was less loud.

I've been on the forum since March and I do not recall many folks in the US having to place a deposit. It may be different in your area but there was a lot of inventory of all the colors in the east coast so for me it was more about negotiating the best deal I could get. Based on the OTD prices posted, I got a reasonable deal but could of done better.

Hopefully someone that placed a deposit and ordered one can address your question on delivery estimates in the Midwest.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts