Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my bike sorted so it can be raced in the 300 class. This means a rev restriction of 9650. Purchased an ECU from a wrecker so I can mix and match without hassles.

I take it most of the racers here have done a similar thing. I was wondering what other changes you have made to the bike to make this more rideable with this restriction.

Gearing? Any suggested sprocket changes?
Anything else worthwhile?

I'm stock gearing, and chain at the moment, and the track I'll primarily be racing at has some clear areas this will be a pain. e.g. down the back there's a short run I just stay in third for and get near redline, shifting up here will have me almost instantly dropping back down again, but I will need to with this restriction to keep drive going.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I didn’t realize anyone other than MotoAmerica did this. Where I run we have separate classes for 300’s and then up to 500.

In MotoAmerica along with the rev restrictions they also run a throttle body restrictor. I think most tuners modify cam timing to maximize torque at the lower revs.

·
Director of Moderation
2,641 Posts
I'm getting my bike sorted so it can be raced in the 300 class. This means a rev restriction of 9650. Purchased an ECU from a wrecker so I can mix and match without hassles.

I take it most of the racers here have done a similar thing. I was wondering what other changes you have made to the bike to make this more rideable with this restriction.

Gearing? Any suggested sprocket changes?
Anything else worthwhile?

I'm stock gearing, and chain at the moment, and the track I'll primarily be racing at has some clear areas this will be a pain. e.g. down the back there's a short run I just stay in third for and get near redline, shifting up here will have me almost instantly dropping back down again, but I will need to with this restriction to keep drive going.
I would say most have NOT done this because we don't race in 300 classes. I don't know of any org in the US that allows the 400 in 300 classes. Our pro series (MotoAmerica) has a restriction of 10,250 (last I checked but might be off by a bit if they changed it for this season) plus a restrictor plate for the intake. Somehow it still doesn't seem to hinder the bikes that much since they're still all around 48ish hp, or about the same as an unrestricted bike with an exhaust, filter and generic ECU flash.

A restriction of 9650 rpm is a lot though. Ideally you should tune your bike and change the cam timing so that your peak power is in that range if possible. After that, it's all about gearing. That will vary based on the track but you just need to make sure you're not hitting the rev limiter in 6th gear. Probably going to a 15T front sprocket will be a good starting point, after that play with the rear sprockets until you find a good gear ratio.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We don't really have middle ground classes here. I.E. it's 300, or 600. That's for ASBK through to club racing. I kind of assumed that was normal worldwide, but I guess an "up to 500" class would be great for stock 400's.

The rules are pretty strict about mods, cam timing seems to be outside of those rules. I'll try to find some club racers running 400's in Australia and see what they get away with, as I'm never going to get to the nationals level so it's likely a bit more relaxed.

Restriction wise it's moved around a bit, 10,300 initially, 10,000 now 9,650. The one AU racer I spoke to (national) seemed to suggest he thought that would be increased, as now the R3's with their "not so legal" mods seem to fly away on the straights.

·
Director of Moderation
2,641 Posts
We don't really have middle ground classes here. I.E. it's 300, or 600. That's for ASBK through to club racing. I kind of assumed that was normal worldwide, but I guess an "up to 500" class would be great for stock 400's.

The rules are pretty strict about mods, cam timing seems to be outside of those rules. I'll try to find some club racers running 400's in Australia and see what they get away with, as I'm never going to get to the nationals level so it's likely a bit more relaxed.

Restriction wise it's moved around a bit, 10,300 initially, 10,000 now 9,650. The one AU racer I spoke to (national) seemed to suggest he thought that would be increased, as now the R3's with their "not so legal" mods seem to fly away on the straights.
That's interesting that it's like that for club racing as well. Sounds like you guys are missing some classes in your racing org structures lol We have the following in the organization I race with:

Lightweight Twins (this is basically SV650, FZ07s, the new RS660, some KTM's and a few other oddball bikes)
Middleweight (600s)
Heavyweight (750s, the new Triumph 765, Ducati 899 Panigale)
Unlimited (everything else)

And within each of those there are about 2-3 classes based on mod restrictions, like SuperSport, Superbike, Grand Prix. Other orgs have different structures but most are pretty similar. The 400 has been such a popular bike that after 2019, there were more 400s than 300s and R3s in the paddock at most of the tracks I raced at. The 300 classes have very low numbers nowadays, but there are plenty of people in the 500 classes, most of whom are on ninja 400s.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's interesting that it's like that for club racing as well. Sounds like you guys are missing some classes in your racing org structures lol We have the following in the organization I race with:

Lightweight Twins (this is basically SV650, FZ07s, the new RS660, some KTM's and a few other oddball bikes)
Middleweight (600s)
Heavyweight (750s, the new Triumph 765, Ducati 899 Panigale)
Unlimited (everything else)

And within each of those there are about 2-3 classes based on mod restrictions, like SuperSport, Superbike, Grand Prix. Other orgs have different structures but most are pretty similar. The 400 has been such a popular bike that after 2019, there were more 400s than 300s and R3s in the paddock at most of the tracks I raced at. The 300 classes have very low numbers nowadays, but there are plenty of people in the 500 classes, most of whom are on ninja 400s.
Oh, interesting. That makes sense.
Australia seems to have primarily R3's, even at the top racing levels. So it's a bit different here. Looking at the 300 club racing results there was only one Ninja 400.

I probably should have researched this before buying a baby bike for track/race :p

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
It's worse over here mate, the 400's haven't even been homolgated for 300 class racing yet. (cue sound of someone chiseling a wheel from stone). They tried to get a (non championship class) Ninja 400 cup going around 2019 but it's died in the arse a bit. At the nats last year there were only about half a doz of them if that. They ran them off the front of the 300 grid.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unless you are really chasing class championships it’s all about having fun. The N400 is fun. It takes an all out R3 Superbike to match a mostly stock N400 on the straights. :)
Oh it's definitely about fun. I just want to be in a class where it's about skill rather than the bike. I'm currently doing Bracket Racing, which is grouping riders based on timing rather than bike. So I'm on the 400 with people on a mix of 300's to 600's doing within a few seconds of me. Gets reaaalll frustrating.

It's worse over here mate, the 400's haven't even been homolgated for 300 class racing yet. (cue sound of someone chiseling a wheel from stone). They tried to get a (non championship class) Ninja 400 cup going around 2019 but it's died in the arse a bit. At the nats last year there were only about half a doz of them if that. They ran them off the front of the 300 grid.
Ah that sucks, I've seen you mention it before. Really surprised they haven't sorted that. Looking at the 300 class in WSBK its primarily Ninja 400's these days.
ASBK has a "R3 Cup" class, so I guess it kind of makes sense that a lot of people would just run R3s specifically so they can go across both the 300 class and R3 cup.

It sounds like most of the ASBK level riders manage it with sprocket changes, as anything else is against the rules. So I might have a fiddle with that.
Will just take a bunch of sprockets, drop a track day group, and mess around finding what feels right.

·
Registered
Ninja 400 2019
4 Posts
My son (15yo) started racing this year in SSP300 class here in Sweden. For us the rev limit is 10350 for the Ninja 400
We have a Power Commander V unit that restricted the revs on the ignition

SSP300 in Sweden use the FIM regulation for which bikes that are allowed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Huh?
Wait, so my dreams of racing on my Ninja are just dreams?
I started thinking I would really like to race when I was 'racing' a Ducati on the twisties before the lockdowns (although to be fair, it was just an ego thing totally in my mind only). So I ordered rear sets, brake lines, clip ons, etc but now it seems like I should have just saved the money and buy a litre bike when I get my full license. Guess I should have researched this stuff before I pulled the trigger.

Are there any alternatives like privately organized racing?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wait, so my dreams of racing on my Ninja are just dreams?
I take it you're looking at club level racing? If so I'd poke your local clubs, generally they'll find somewhere for you. Worst case you end up in a class with bigger bikes and have an excuse when you aren't on the "podium".

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dont really know much about motorcycles since im the only one out of my social circle who actually started riding. I just saw that the ninja/hyosung cup is discontinued according to Kiwi rider, and 300 class doesn't really cater to the ninja 400 according to the MNZ website... so yeah

I didnt know about club racing. So Im assuming that I have to join a motorcycle club, and join in on their privately organized races? I live in Auckland so Im guessing the Auckland Motorcycle Club AMCC is a good place to start.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So Im assuming that I have to join a motorcycle club, and join in on their privately organized races?
That's the one. Not sure how it works over there, but in Victoria (AU) we have a couple of clubs that run race events.

I'd just contact all clubs in your area and ask what they think. If they're anything like clubs here they'll be helpful and find somewhere for you to race.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts