Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have been following this forum since I've started thinking about buying my ninja 400. Well, the time arrived and I bought my Ninja 400 last week.

My Ninja is from 2018 and has less than 4.000KM. I decided to do the first mainetance in the Kawasaki's dealer in my country. This oil and filter change 477km (300miles) ago with MOTUL 7100. Do you think this is normal for the low mileage done after the maintenance?
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS, Pearl Storm Gray
649 Posts
Are you saying that was Motul 7100 changed 300 miles ago? I'm expecting Motul 7100 to be a beautiful red color -- mine was changed maybe 1k miles ago:

Car Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Vehicle

I'm thinking maybe yours was changed with some other oil, that might be more normally dark brown?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you saying that was Motul 7100 changed 300 miles ago? I'm expecting Motul 7100 to be a beautiful red color -- mine was changed maybe 1k miles ago:

View attachment 25512

I'm thinking maybe yours was changed with some other oil, that might be more normally dark brown?
Exactly, mine was changed 300 miles ago with the same oil as yours... this is very strange

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am about to make many angry, so be it. I have been riding for 50 years, retired professional mechanic, 8 ASE certs, can inspect anything that rolls in NYS, started my career as a motorcycle snowmobile mechanic, top technician award from US Suzuki, award for the Kawasaki road racer I built, successfully built and flew a kit plane. What have I learned? I will NEVER let a dealer service or repair any vehicle I care about. You can not imagine what goes on in the name of beating flat rate and making $'s. I know some simply can not perform their own maintenance and I truly feel sorry for them. Is every dealer and every mechanic incompetent? of course not, but when you drop off your motorcycle and walk away you have no knowledge or control over who works on it. Bottom line, take the time to learn at least basic service procedures. Not only will this ensure your bike was serviced properly but should you need more extensive repairs you are more likely to recognize a BS approach by the dealer, and trust me I have been fed total BS by a dealer who had no idea of my background. Again this was my profession and I am so adamant about it that when my machines need warranty or recall work I buy the parts and do the work myself. Numerous times I have listened as mechanics from auto dealerships talked about how they pried, cut, bent parts to beat flat rate. There was recently a multiple fatality aircraft crash, when questioned the maintenance staff said the tail was to high off the ground to inspect. Ladder? The best way to get the job done properly is to do it yourself.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I was bottom of the class from 1’st grade on and went to collage for three years but didn’t graduate. And have been buying motorcycles from dumb ass dealers since 1977. And not once in all those years have I ever taken a bike to anyone to be worked on for any reason. It don’t take a rocket scientist cause this ain’t rocket science.

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 400, 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk
1,046 Posts
From my experiences as the two above I never ever, I repeat, never ever trust ANYONE touching or working in my cars or bikes for service or what have you.
Like the above comments I do my own work and a service manual is the road map to getting it done when the way may not be clear on how to do it.

A good example is my work truck where the companies service tech do regular maintenance on them as the trucks are still under warranty.

I'd just had some front brake service and alignment done on the truck and within a hundred miles of driving I had to hit the brakes a bit hard under a heavy load when bam something popped and the truck pulled extremely hard to the right.

Next few time it did this again under normal braking and then I knew something was wrong.
Got to looking at the front brakes and on the passenger side S-cam actuator which twists to engage both brake shoes to the brake drum to stop, the retainer clip was gone and missing so that side never engaged causing the truck to pull severely to the right. 🤦🤬

The realization and implication of what that could have done in an emergency situation could have cost lives, my job, and all because some dumb a$$ service tech was too lazy to double check their work.
I told the company about it and went in one ear and out the other. 🤦🤷

When it comes to service work most only care about the money to be made in the fastest way, to take short cuts to hasten the job, and not think twice about the consequences of their actions.

I have trust issues with all service techs. I even hate taking my high dollar OZ wheels on my car for a tire change because they may F up the finish or worse and say oops, sorry about that. 🙄

To the OP please learn to do things on your own.
You will gain knowledge and save a ton of money.
I learned all my wrenching skills on my own and with a service manual so hope you do the same and good luck with your oil issue. 🙏👍

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 400 ABS
44 Posts
Happened to me before changed it and it looks dirty again. at this point i think its just the way it is you can change it earlier but like the guys are saying above dont take it to a dealer unless its a valve service or something

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Never knew that Motul 7100 was red, good too know. Learn something new everyday.
YIIPPPEEEE another oil thread 😎😎😎😎. I use Mobil One full synthetic for bikes, blah -blah……. I am sure if I switched over to the RED stuff, it will take a few changes too show red in the sight glass. I don’t really know how long it takes my oil to turn black, I care more about the level. Yes I do ALL my own oil changes, so easy on the 400! Just too add more confusion, is there an oil that is greenish in color??? 🤔🤔🤔

·
Registered
Ninja 400 2018
195 Posts
Never knew that Motul 7100 was red, good too know. Learn something new everyday.
YIIPPPEEEE another oil thread 😎😎😎😎. I use Mobil One full synthetic for bikes, blah -blah……. I am sure if I switched over to the RED stuff, it will take a few changes too show red in the sight glass. I don’t really know how long it takes my oil to turn black, I care more about the level. Yes I do ALL my own oil changes, so easy on the 400! Just too add more confusion, is there an oil that is greenish in color??? 🤔🤔🤔
Motul 300v is green, very greenish!

·
Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS, Pearl Storm Gray
649 Posts
I think it's so you don't unnecessarily mix types of oils and lose the benefits...

Though Motul 7100 technically allows you to mix, according to its datasheet:

RECOMMENDATIONS​
Drain interval: according to manufacturers’ recommendations and tune to your own use.​
Can be mixed with synthetic or mineral lubricants.​

1 - 20 of 24 Posts