Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title states.

I took all the damaged fairings off my bike but to get the front fairing off I had to remove the left side fairing and to do that I had to remove the two relays attached to the fairing. Well that didn't go so well:sad: The first relay came of rather easily but the secont one would not budge and then "crack !" the plastic that the metal part is attached to broke and is hanging by a thread.

So I am wondering could I epoxy it back to together or some other adhesive like liquid metal, thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry to hear about that man but you should be able to use some jb Plasticweld. I have used it on other bikes and has always held together, Home Depot or lowes will have it on the shelf.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear about that man but you should be able to use some jb Plasticweld. I have used it on other bikes and has always held together, Home Depot or lowes will have it on the shelf.
Thanks Kawizac, JB Plasticweld sounds like a much better option than Epoxy :smile:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thanks Kawizac, JB Plasticweld sounds like a much better option than Epoxy :smile:
Shhhh, don't tell anyone but JB Plasticweld is epoxy, and it works pretty darn good. You'll get her back together... when your done how about some pictures of the before and after - I love those. :)

Check this one too https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-50133-Structural-Adhesive/dp/B009EU5ZNO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526275404&sr=8-1&keywords=j-b+weld+50133&dpID=51e7-TATy6L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shhhh, don't tell anyone but JB Plasticweld is epoxy, and it works pretty darn good. You'll get her back together... when your done how about some pictures of the before and after - I love those. :)
Helmet will arrive tomorrow or Tuesday, M4 full exhaust will be here hopefully by Friday and the OEM parts are due on the 25th.

So it will be a three part photo session, coming soon :smile:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Helmet will arrive tomorrow or Tuesday, M4 full exhaust will be here hopefully by Friday and the OEM parts are due on the 25th.

So it will be a three part photo session, coming soon :smile:
I cant wait to hear your M4-Exhaust, Or.. My birthday is coming up this month if you want, you can just throw that M4 my way :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Another fantastic option to fix this is to buy some ABS cement. Make sure it's ABS and not PVC, they're not compatible. Anyways, ABS cement will reweld the plastic back together. You can pick it up at Lowe's and maybe Home Depot but it's kind of hard to find. Check their online inventory first.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another fantastic option to fix this is to buy some ABS cement. Make sure it's ABS and not PVC, they're not compatible. Anyways, ABS cement will reweld the plastic back together. You can pick it up at Lowe's and maybe Home Depot but it's kind of hard to find. Check their online inventory first.
I performed a little test with abs glue on the faring and the abs glue did not bond with the faring at all. An hour later I was able to peel the glue off with my nail with very little effort

·
Registered
656 Posts
@mad_mardigen When I was looking at the photo of your bike naked " the bike not me " I was thinking Hmmm, that has a KTM 390 look to it. The green would actually look nicer than their stock color :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I performed a little test with abs glue on the faring and the abs glue did not bond with the faring at all. An hour later I was able to peel the glue off with my nail with very little effort
****.. Well that sucks! I've had good luck with it. Maybe you have to take the paint off for it to adhere... Oh well, do what works for you man! :smile:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts