Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I returned to my bike after a short ride today, I went to insert my key into the ignition as usual. Only problem was the key would not go in. It was aligned with the slot, but I could not insert it. After looking more closely, I noticed the top cover of the key insert had spun around and was no longer aligned with the keyhole below. I used the tip of the key to rotate the keyhole in the thin cover back in alignment and everything was good again.

Still not sure how the opening in the cover became misaligned with the key receptacle beneath it, but just wanted to let others know of this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is normal. That top cover is just that. A cover. It protects the ignition from dust, rain, and debris. It can move freely from the actual ignition system. Most of the time people wont ever notice because it is aligned 99% of the time. But sometimes it can turn without noticing. This is why keys dont always go in smooth and it feels like you have to give it a bit more wiggling than other times. Completely normal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that information NoQu4rt3r. Yeah, that's the first time I have ever seen that happen. Need to go play the lotto today.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No worries. I had the same thing happen to me on my old R3 and I panicked. That's how I learned this new information so I went through the same thing ?

Thanks for that information NoQu4rt3r. Yeah, that's the first time I have ever seen that happen. Need to go play the lotto today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts