Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

So i've hit 2500km on my girl, after getting back on a bike in 3 years and I'm curious as to how the more experienced riders have their tyres worn.
I really enjoy tipping the bike into corners even though it's not necessary (just fun), and noticed the edges of my tyres are starting to feather a little bit. Is this because thats how they wear or just the tyres or my riding?
i've still got about 10mm of chicken strip.

cheers

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Hi there, tipping the bike into a corner is a lot of what the essence of motorcycling is about, for me anyways.
When you say the edge of your tyre is feathering are you talking about the edge of the tread groove because if you have a 10mm unused strip then your not on the outside edge of the tyre right?
Feathering is nothing to be worried about. They do that, esp when hot.`
Glad your enjoying your riding.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I still have to overcome my fear of leaning waaaay over :surprise:
Careful now its not as far as you may think,,,

And the streets aren't as clean as a track.

And remember the only time / chance you have to slow, is be for the turn.

Last but not least, a big Majority of wrecks are due to cournering too fast with debris on the road.

Ride safe man.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Careful now its not as far as you may think,,,

And the streets aren't as clean as a track.

And remember the only time / chance you have to slow, is be for the turn.

Last but not least, a big Majority of wrecks are due to cournering too fast with debris on the road.

Ride safe man.
Thanks, Mr. Mike. I am careful around corners and realize street corners aren't like track corners (never been on a track though, so just theoretical). But the bike seems to really like to lean, no? I do wonder how much I can practice those cornering techniques they teach on CSS videos on the road.

·
Registered
403 Posts
i am such a noob at this but well..
cornering is my main fear followed by efficient braking (without locking them up) if at all. 400 is ABS so i kind of side stepped the proper braking technique part but still did learn to use the front brake heavily while shifting body weight back and using the rear brake at the same time. i used to check the brake lever feedback (pulsating when ABS kicks in) in my earlier bike to identify if i braked too hard or was doing fine.

interesting tid bit on the cornering front. rode it back from the dealership and the bike came alive the moment it started rolling. the weight vanished and street corners (usual basic ones) were non existent. V turn at a signal and my friend ahead in his car turns into the road taking it easy. i lean the bike, hang off by an inch, midway through the turn i open the throttle and almost rammed into his car. with cornering i am a beginner at best and was pleasantly surprised at the bike's behavior at the corner.

careful is the word but the 400 wants to defy all logic related to that. Sigh!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Be one with the Bike grasshopper....My self I luv corners, That's why Im very close to getting the Ninja or the Z 400.
I still have a Harley and I learned to ride Flat Tracking, Probably why I luv the corners....
Getting the itch to get something new and lighter for fun in the hill's....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts