Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Here's my coolant leak after a short 100 km stint. So far the bike has 7444 km on the odometer.

IMG_20200919_124843.jpg

Norton replacement base gasket seal on order.

Reactions: Baxter and Grantman

·
Registered
498 Posts
Your bike looks clean as mofo and seeing that depresses me! Are you going to tackle the job by youself? I wouldn't want anyone to open my bike up like that.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Are you gonna switch this o-ring now, rather just sale it and move on / buy a new one. It's a **** of a job.
It would be done under warranty. I'm investigating the warranty with my local dealer now. Sent photos and asked for advice on proceeding. I bought the bike from another city, so from what I've heard, if the local dealer doesn't want to do it, I'll have to go the original place. Not 100% sure how it works.
As much as I hate careless people pawing over my bike losing and scratching stuff, this is exactly the sort of case a warranty exists for. I reckon I could do it myself with good care if I had all the consumable items like gaskets etc, but out of principal I don't want to spend my time and money when it should be covered.
However there's a risk if they botch the assembly in some way. I may be high and dry because it could be blamed on the aftermarket part which they don't warranty.

Note that Kawasaki even fixed Snowromey's bike outside warranty, so they must know about this issue.

edit - Also I personally wouldn't sell the bike without the leak fixed. That's be a weasel move. Plus it'd cost me thousands to switch. I bought this bike for a bargain @ $7,650 NZD out the door. KRT models are currently selling for $10,000 NZD out the door. (And I prefer my original KRT paint scheme)

·
Registered
498 Posts
It would be done under warranty. I'm investigating the warranty with my local dealer now. Sent photos and asked for advice on proceeding. I bought the bike from another city, so from what I've heard, if the local dealer doesn't want to do it, I'll have to go the original place. Not 100% sure how it works.
As much as I hate careless people pawing over my bike losing and scratching stuff, this is exactly the sort of case a warranty exists for. I reckon I could do it myself with good care if I had all the consumable items like gaskets etc, but out of principal I don't want to spend my time and money when it should be covered.
However there's a risk if they botch the assembly in some way. I may be high and dry because it could be blamed on the aftermarket part which they don't warranty.

Note that Kawasaki even fixed Snowromey's bike outside warranty, so they must know about this issue.

edit - Also I personally wouldn't sell the bike without the leak fixed. That's be a weasel move. Plus it'd cost me thousands to switch. I bought this bike for a bargain @ $7,650 NZD out the door. KRT models are currently selling for $10,000 NZD out the door. (And I prefer my original KRT paint scheme)
If your bike still under warranty so I guess it's somekind cool. Mine's about 2.5 year old already. Past warranty (not that I really serviced it at a shops and care though). I personally dont expect much from the dealer where I live. Even when it was still under warranty time. I agree with you on the d move part...

·
Registered
744 Posts

Your bike looks clean as mofo and seeing that depresses me! Are you going to tackle the job by youself? I wouldn't want anyone to open my bike up like that.
There's about 2 months of riding season left. So, I'll address this issue next spring. However, it is better to fix it before she blows like Mount St. Helens, because worst case scenario, the coolant could end up leaking into the engine case, even if that is possible, not sure, but can't take chances. Since the bike is out of warranty, I'll repair it myself IF Kawasaki and dealer refuses to fix it free out of warranty and if they refuse to use Norton's replacement seal. Haven't discussed with them yet, however.

Reading the service manual, it doesn't look like it requires any "special" dealer tools to open the case cylinder. Doesn't look too difficult. Gotta get gaskets, sealants, bolts, etc. SIGH.

·
Registered
498 Posts
There's about 2 months of riding season left. So, I'll address this issue next spring. However, it is better to fix it before she blows like Mount St. Helens, because worst case scenario, the coolant could end up leaking into the engine case, even if that is possible, not sure, but can't take chances. Since the bike is out of warranty, I'll repair it myself IF Kawasaki and dealer refuses to fix it free out of warranty and if they refuse to use Norton's replacement seal. Haven't discussed with them yet, however.

Reading the service manual, it doesn't look like it requires any "special" dealer tools to open the case cylinder. Doesn't look too difficult. Gotta get gaskets, sealants, bolts, etc. SIGH.
In the end it's indeed all nuts and bolts, however to open up the engine like that requires some skills and knowledge. Not to talk about placing it all back correctly. I know you do an awesome job on your bike with different mods. May I ask how you got around to that level?

·
Registered
744 Posts
;)Thanks for that. Customizing these budget bikes to your needs is part of the fun of being a motorcycle enthusiast. I did the same things to my first bike; a 125 Grom. It was possible after acquiring my masters from Youtube University. And there is that high level of satisfaction of realizing and experiencing the changes to the bike when slaying your favorite roads.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Well...looks like mine is suffering from this leak as well. Thanks @Watcher905 and @Grantman for pointing it out. I just finally remembered today to look at it while I was doing other work and sure enough...there it is :( Not sure when it started but I'm guessing some time ago. Looks to be just seeping through rather than a real leak. So I should be good for one more race weekend that I have this year, but I'll tackle the problem over the winter and get one of those seals from Norton.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I emailed my photos of the leak to the local dealer who requested I bring the bike in for a look. The guy took a few photos, asked why I thought it was a coolant leak (argh!), and said he'd send the info to Kawasaki and it would be up to them. I'm currently waiting to hear back. He refused to use my photos so I sure hope his photos were clear! It certainly took me a few tries to get a good photo. He was disconcertingly quick so I'm a little concerned.

It's a funny old leak. Like the OP I rode the bike spiritedly to try and make the leak more visible - for the scheduled dealer inspection in my case. I rode about 150km between the photos and the time I took the bike in. No additional leakage. I've since done at least another 100km and still no more leakage. It's certainly not a consistent leak at this point, but obviously it can only get worse over time.

Very interesting to see @sbk1198 leak in the same spot also. Just biased to the right of that bulge.
Kawasaki would have to be well aware of this.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Very interesting to see @sbk1198 leak in the same spot also. Just biased to the right of that bulge.
Kawasaki would have to be well aware of this.
Yep, same spot. My bike is at around 3000 miles, but pretty much all have been very hard miles at race pace. This engine mostly lives at 8000-12000 rpm. Just wish I would know when this started so I can judge its progression.

·
Registered
450 Posts
To update. I'd been keeping a close eye on the seepage and noticed no change until today. So that's about 800km/500miles with no change from the first photo.
It has now progressed a little more.
I haven't heard anything back from the dealer. I wasn't pushing them as I didn't have the part from Norton yet anyway (3.5 weeks postage, thanks covid). It should arrive this week per tracking.
20201018_173049.jpg

·
Registered
450 Posts
I got a call from the dealer to say the work would be covered under warranty to "replace the head gasket". So that's good news. I suspect they dumbed down the reference to the o-ring as head gasket. After the Norton part comes in it'll still be another couple of weeks before the dealer can book it in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got a call from the dealer to say the work would be covered under warranty to "replace the head gasket". So that's good news. I suspect they dumbed down the reference to the o-ring as head gasket. After the Norton part comes in it'll still be another couple of weeks before the dealer can book it in.
Nice. I would assume that Kawasaki is aware of the issue in that case, good to know. And for the dealer to use a customer part on a repair, good on them!

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Good to hear. I'm outside of the 24 month warranty period now so hopefully mine stays dry.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Norton's o-ring replacement just arrived. Shiny.
I guess I'm risking the remainder of my engine warranty (14 months remaining) by making them install this instead of their own o-ring. But I hardly want to return for another engine tear down by using the failure prone genuine part.

*The bike is booked in for the work end of Nov. They are super busy.

20201019_123803.jpg 20201019_123835.jpg 20201019_123903.jpg

·
Registered
498 Posts
Did Kawi ever change the defect o-ring?

I am buying some parts soon and I thought I might add this o-ring into the shopping list. I am standing at 13,000km's with none problems till far (knock on wood), so I dont care to have the o-ring on me if it ever happens, althought it will be the smallest price of the problems.... I dont see myself paying 40usd for the norton one.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Is this a repair option?

Sorry! I just couldn't resist! :LOL:

Now I'm gonna go check my bike. o_O Thanks everyone for posting pics so everyone else knows where to look.

Edit: Just checked, Ms. Noire doesn't have any sign of this leak. Happy day! :)

21 - 40 of 43 Posts