Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first time posting but a long time lurker! Unfortunately it's due to an issue that suddenly appeared and I am trying to get some advice. Out of nowhere my little 400 decided to surprise me with this green milky stuff on the lower half of my fairings when I went to ride one day. Knowing what coolant looked like, I knew it had to be coolant leaking from somewhere... The problem was, I couldn't locate the location of the leak because at that point it was everywhere and it had been a couple of days since I rode. I ended up cleaning the bike up, refilling the coolant and started her up. There was no coolant leaking anywhere that I could see and I took it out for a ride. I ended up riding very hard for about 30 mins to see if it would leak more but it didn't. Fast forward a week later of riding 200 miles a day and no coolant leak in sight... Fast forward 3 months later with some riding here and there, I now have another coolant leak, this time I saw exactly where it was coming from. Attached is a picture of where it's leaking from and I am looking for some advice on what to do. I have knowledge of cars, but haven't worked on any bikes other than the basics. Please help!
k400.jpg

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
It appears you have a leak from the gasket that sits between the crank case and the barrel that the piston moves up and down in. Obviously it's not major at this stage but it will get worse with use so you need to get it looked at. Replacing a gasket is not the sort of job most riders tackle themselves.
Is your bike still under warranty?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately not; I went ahead and made an appointment at the dealership right after making this post. Is this usually something that may be pricey when it comes to fixing it?

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
This thread may help you. sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but a base gasket repair is definitely not gonna be cheap...

I remember reading this before and I think it was an o-ring...

·
Registered
487 Posts
I am just wondering, is there a possibilty it has to do something with the oil viscosity? Standard oil for this bike is 10w40. Will 10w50 be better suited to tackle with a blown head gasket issue? As it can resist heat better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update for those who were following... As expected, it ended up being a blown gasket due to a bad o-ring. I bought my bike early in 2018 so it was out of warranty at that point. The guys at the dealership worked some sort of magic and ended up getting Kawasaki to fix it even tho I was not under warranty. It took some time, but my baby is back home and doing just fine! Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Norton Motorsports Replacement Cylinder Coolant Seal

Well, I'm glad Norton Motorsports has come up with a new part to fix this base gasket o-ring issue. It's evident the o-ring will fail down the road. Guy's, keep an eye out in that area. Mine at around 7000 km is starting to exhibit some micro seepage of coolant in that area. I have a feeling it will fail soon. :eek:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I thought only Kim's blew head gaskets.

Man kawasaki must be buying the same low quality parts from the same crappy factory in India and just stamping them with thier name.

I get it's a budget build bike but come on kawasaki.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Let's be clear, it's not the head gasket, rather the base gasket. I'm sure Kawasaki has heard/repaired numerous complaints with this. Still, not really a recall because no one died because of it, but should be a service bulletin free replacement deal... using Norton's new design. Because the 400 is a newish engine design, this part should be addressed and fixed by Kawasaki in future models.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Bad news, but good to know. I guess as far as mechanical faults go, at least this one isn't catastrophic. Should have plenty of warning. Still, it's exactly what I don't want to read.

·
Registered
394 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Well great. With about 12,500k's on the clock this looks exactly like the o-ring defect. Wonder how bad it has to be before they cover it under warranty. I certainly don't want them replacing the factory rubbish o-ring with the same thing, which they'd certainly want to do.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Ok, so to aggregate examples of this problem, here is another link. Boat has already linked the longest thread.

includes about 3-4 people with same issue and pics. Note that ryanemm was told his o-ring was missing altogether which imo is highly unlikely and the service team were wrong. Chances are it's the same problem as the others.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Norton Motorsports Replacement Cylinder Coolant Seal

Well, I'm glad Norton Motorsports has come up with a new part to fix this base gasket o-ring issue. It's evident the o-ring will fail down the road. Guy's, keep an eye out in that area. Mine at around 7000 km is starting to exhibit some micro seepage of coolant in that area. I have a feeling it will fail soon. :eek:

Can you post a pic? It'd be helpful to accumulate as much evidence as possible to help anyone else with claims.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Well great. With about 12,500k's on the clock this looks exactly like the o-ring defect. Wonder how bad it has to be before they cover it under warranty. I certainly don't want them replacing the factory rubbish o-ring with the same thing, which they'd certainly want to do. View attachment 15376 View attachment 15377
You had me worried as I'm nearly 7 months outside of the 24month warranty period. I've just been out to the garage to check and at 15,000km I'm still seep free. But then I've had no clutch issues either so maybe I just got a lucky bike. 🤞

·
Registered
394 Posts
After a brief ride I checked again, and yeah, the coolant becomes more visible as it bakes on. It must have just started happening. Talk about timing with that Norton upgraded seal coming onto the market.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts