Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Ninja 400 for almost 2 months with 2600 kms on the odo. Every now and then I smell coolant when I'm riding especially when I'm in traffic but didn't think much of it since the coolant reservoir is still full and I'm not overheating (never seen the temp gauge with full bars). I had sliders installed last week when I noticed the hose from the radiator going to the engine block on the left side of the bike and there's coolant residue. Anyway, taking it in to the dealer tomorrow morning to get it checked and fixed. Hopefully it's an easy fix like a gasket replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately no, I didn't want to mess with it and possibly make it worse. I want to make sure that the Kawi service guys work on it from start to finish. I'll post an update after my visit to the service center

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Small update:

So I took the bike in to the local service center last Friday. They replaced the thermostat cover which is apparently what it's called in the picture above. They ran it on the dyno for a few minutes to really warm up the engine to check for leaks and fortunately there aren't any more but I'm still monitoring it for a few more days but kudos to them. Didn't pay a cent except for the engine oil and filter coz I had the oil changed as well since I'm already at the center anyway.

·
Registered
744 Posts
WTF is this hole? Located underneath the right side of the bike. It's about a 3mm machined hole, with no signs of threads. And it's the source of my coolant leak albeit minimal. Coolant reservoir is in the appropriate level, no signs of engine overheating. Can you guys please confirm that the hole is supposed to be there, did I lose a plug and what is it's purpose? :crying:

IMG_20180610_152247_LI.jpg

IMG_20180610_152015_LI (2).jpg

IMG_20180610_152805.jpg

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
WTF is this hole? Located underneath the right side of the bike. It's about a 3mm machined hole, with no signs of threads. And it's the source of my coolant leak albeit minimal. Coolant reservoir is in the appropriate level, no signs of engine overheating. Can you guys please confirm that the hole is supposed to be there, did I lose a plug and what is it's purpose? :crying:
I remember this from the CBR300 forum. It will be one of those 'weep holes' and it's nothing to worry about. I cant quite remember its function but something along the lines of it being a vent for built up pressure in the cooling system or such like. I'll look it up tonite when I've got more time.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Weep hole, eh.

Already made service appointment with the dealership.

Thanks for the reply gentlemen.

Reactions: Kiwi Rider

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have had my Ninja 400 for almost 2 months with 2600 kms on the odo. Every now and then I smell coolant when I'm riding especially when I'm in traffic but didn't think much of it since the coolant reservoir is still full and I'm not overheating (never seen the temp gauge with full bars). I had sliders installed last week when I noticed the hose from the radiator going to the engine block on the left side of the bike and there's coolant residue. Anyway, taking it in to the dealer tomorrow morning to get it checked and fixed. Hopefully it's an easy fix like a gasket replacement.

View attachment 2155

View attachment 2157

View attachment 2159

How did it go?

·
Registered
744 Posts
How did it go?
Well, it took about a month for the water seal to arrive, don't know what other technicalities are involved cause that's a **** long time. Brought the bike to the shop friday July 20, they said it will be ready tuesday July 24. Also got a CEL riding to the shop DTS code 33 = oxygen sensor issue. :sad:. And rainy wet days ahead....

·
Registered
502 Posts
Well, it took about a month for the water seal to arrive, don't know what other technicalities are involved cause that's a **** long time. Brought the bike to the shop friday July 20, they said it will be ready tuesday July 24. Also got a CEL riding to the shop DTS code 33 = oxygen sensor issue. :sad:. And rainy wet days ahead....
Hmmmm...

where both your pictures located at? I went to my bike to check him out but I wouldn't find. Can you give directions? lmao
Or do I have to take the fairing off?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hmmmm...

where both your pictures located at? I went to my bike to check him out but I wouldn't find. Can you give directions? lmao
Or do I have to take the fairing off?
Difficult to see with bottom fairing in the way. On the right side of the bike underneath the water pump. Use a mirror, flashlight or prop it on your paddock stand.

·
Registered
744 Posts
UPDATE:

Got the bike back from the dealer and they replaced the mechanical water seal. So far no signs of green piss.

Also, had the CEL cleared. Apparently, they found no faults or damage to the oxygen sensor. Because the sensor is OK, I have a suspicion that my Hindle exhaust bracket is the root of the cause. The race bracket is not strong/sturdy enough to dampen the engine vibration. As a result the entire exhaust shakes like a leaf in the wind. I bet the increased vibrations have managed to trigger the sensor. Will have to go back to the stock sturdier, heavier bracket.

IMG_20180727_111725.jpg

Reactions: Fuby and Mr Mike

·
Registered
656 Posts
UPDATE:

Got the bike back from the dealer and they replaced the mechanical water seal. So far no signs of green piss.

Also, had the CEL cleared. Apparently, they found no faults or damage to the oxygen sensor. Because the sensor is OK, I have a suspicion that my Hindle exhaust bracket is the root of the cause. The race bracket is not strong/sturdy enough to dampen the engine vibration. As a result the entire exhaust shakes like a leaf in the wind. I bet the increased vibrations have managed to trigger the sensor. Will have to go back to the stock sturdier, heavier bracket.

View attachment 2979
That was pretty quick... I like it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
That was pretty quick... I like it.
On their part? Not really. Took em a month to get parts and another week to fix it.

So glad to be back though.

·
Registered
656 Posts
On their part? Not really. Took em a month to get parts and another week to fix it.

So glad to be back though.
So I been keeping an eye on the areas you had issues with, So far it looks like mine has leaked but just a small amount, when it does I'm guessing that it hits my pipe and thats what Iv'e been smelling here and there. I'm still tryingto figure out the burnt plastic smell that seem to go along with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm still tryingto figure out the burnt plastic smell that seem to go along with it.

you guys are starting to worry me on this 1st year model... :surprise:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts