Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Odd story. Could use some direction on how to handle this...
Brought my 2019 Ninja 400 in for some work. Both stock tires switched out for Q3's, an oil and filter change. I supplied the tires, filter and oil. I work a lot so I figured it's an easy enough thing to hand off to someone. When I arrived for my scheduled appointment I asked about how long it would take. Guy said 2 hours which was a little surprising? He said "It depends on how hard he wants to work today." which I definitely thought was unprofessional. Anyway I milled around the waiting area for awhile. Saw some guy drive the 400 around the parking lot and park in front of the service door. I was excited because it took just an hour. Walked back in and the guy goes "I guess he wanted to work today". Again, not something I thought a dealership would want to say to a paying customer. The bill was $225 which I definitely thought was kind of high but after some asking around seems to be in line? They had a sign on the wall that said $105 an hour so I asked about that but he said the $225 was a minimum charge and they don't make any money if they charge less. OK, then. When I get on the bike to ride home I find that they had adjusted my clutch lever (they are adjustable) all of the way out. I still can't figure out why they would have done that. At this point I'm just sort of annoyed but need to get back to work.

I get the bike home and don't ride it around that much. It seems OK. A few town commutes. I take one trip to the coast, about 2 hours round trip. Then yesterday I drive to work. About 2 miles. One of my employees goes out for a break and comes in and says "Dude, you gotta take a look at your bike man". This is what I see...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Looks like they didn‘t tighten the nuts on the chain adjusters and they rattled loose and got damaged. I’d definitely take it back to them to complain and make sure they replace them for free!

How is your chain tension? If it’s good and the axle seems aligned then it should be OK to ride it back there. If unsure then truck or trailer it there...

Man, this is why I don’t trust anyone to work on my bikes and haven’t for many years. I’ve seen way too many screw ups at supposed professional dealerships...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bro they straight up ****** you the end. I am not a mechanic and did all that myself in a hour reading the guide from kawasaki website. They absolutely botched your bike and I personally would tow it someone to have it looked at by a legit place so you don't die. Not tryna scare you but if a human is willing to take your money and **** you like that, than they don't mind you dying.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Ridiculous! Especially from a professional. Must not have torqued it right. :mad: Everyone can have a bad day, but a motorcycle mechanic's bad day can have consequences.

I'd consider myself a novice at mechanics, but once after a week long trip I noticed one of those end caps on my old bike had worked loose, and I tightened it up to specs and never had another problem. If I can fix it right, the implication for your mechanic's skill set is ... ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
$225 as a minimum charge sounds like a lie. Would you have had to pay that if all you needed was an oil and filter change? I have heard of dealers charging $50 per tire if you bring your own tire, so $100 for the tire change and $25 for the oil and filter change would have been the high end of a reasonable charge. That's $125, not $225.

I do all my own work, so it really doesn't concern me, but I think it would be helpful to let others on this forum know who that shop was so they can avoid it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
That Sucks! I don't know the size of the dealer you took it to, but, give me a good Mom and Pop shop any day.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Always check the work before riding off! And do not go back to these folks. Most dealer experiences leave something lacking. This is also why I try to do most of the work. At this point you have riddin away and have no ground to stand on, especially after the multiple rides. Get more familiar with your bits. You are waisting your breath if you think those guys care about what you have to say, by the way you presented them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
How about a complaint at Kawasaki? Would that trigger an investigation and removal of dealership rights (if Kawasaki is convinced they suck)?

But I would also guess that multiple rides would lessen the case, however this is pretty serious, IMO.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yeah, that's disgusting. I remember someone here saying anytime you get your bike back from a service at a dealer, and it doesn't have an additional scratch or something wrong, that's a good day. That's been my experience with mechanics in general.
Imagine if they took off your fairings. They'd lose those clear plastic fairing washers and push pin clips before you'd know it. And I can't bear the though of them removing my fuel tank.

The only time I've taken my bike to the dealer so far is for the first service, in order to ensure in my warranty for the following 11,000k's. They lightly scored the rear axle adjuster bracket somehow like they used a socket way too big on a rattle gun. There were a couple of circular gouges on the bracket behind the nut. I was able to touch them up thankfully. They also unnecessarily excessively gooped up all the peg hinges with oil, that cleaned off easily enough though.

Your left adjuster looks to have spun and contacted the sprocket at some point. I'd send those pictures to them requesting they replace the adjuster and refund you for frankly dangerous work. Unbelievable.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Go back and talk only to the manager. Be upset but don't raise your voice. Let him know how disappointed you are in their service department. Ask them to replace the damaged/missing parts and make the correct repair. You also want some credit for having to return there and deal with this. You should ask for a free oil change credit. That's what I would do.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Like Boat said, I'd go back 'n make 'em replace the bunged up end plate, 'n fix everything. Have 'em lube the chain w/ some of Popeye's butter while yer there. $225 is exorbitant for the pisspoor work they did.
If there's an independent shop in yer area try that; since all they do is mc repair, they usually have better mechanics.
Had a similar situation w/ my stealership, 'cept I almost died, cuz the flunky didn't tighten my axle nut on my FJR. :unsure:

·
Registered
489 Posts
How about a complaint at Kawasaki? Would that trigger an investigation and removal of dealership rights (if Kawasaki is convinced they suck)?

But I would also guess that multiple rides would lessen the case, however this is pretty serious, IMO.
Totally right. At the same time it makes me wonder about "dealerships" here. I could tell you stories about them 8 pages long, yet there is nothing to do in the case because there is no "Kawasaki" or "Yamaha" here, just an importer company which are also the dealers. And no one can really revoke their license. Appriciate where you live guys...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yes, the left chain adjuster spun around and hit your sprocket. That alone could have been a disaster. From a safety stand point, if the axle was tight you were probably not in danger but still this mechanic failed ! Working on my Z400 is such a Zen pleasure for me. I take all the time in the world to clean, lube and tighten each part. My bike is exceptionally clean all the time because I don't have a life, lol. But definitely have that conversation with the owner, we would all like to know how it goes.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ok this is going to sound wierd but Im messing around with a new screen set up and came back to these photos of your chain. Zooming in on your chain there seems to be metal shavings all over your chain. Might want to check that out. A little concerning in my opinion. Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you missed it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE: I talked to the owner of the dealership (not a Kawasaki dealer, just the local motorcycle dealership) and expressed my disappointment and concerns. He personally picked the bike up and will be replacing the damaged parts and giving the bike a full safety check. 3-5 days. I won't be using them again. I didn't get the "Geez, we're really sorry that we could have killed you" apology I was expecting. I should have taken the 1 hour drive to the Kawa dealer I bought the bike from. In the future I'll certainly be doing the oil changes myself but tire swaps are probably beyond my comfort zone.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts