Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts
I did mine just for the noise..:) I haven't a clue if it runs to lean but it sounds mean..:) Please note this is not a scientific study..

https://youtu.be/2otjISBc5DQ

Can you show me a picture of clamp? I get the tiniest bit of exhaust leak and spoke to a good mechanic who advised me to add some silicon sealant inside which will help it.. Most of the forums had advised using the permatex which he said was not necessary...

Can you show me a picture of clamp? I get the tiniest bit of exhaust leak and spoke to a good mechanic who advised me to add some silicon sealant inside which will help it.. Most of the forums had advised using the permatex which he said was not necessary...

Sure..here ya go... I have no leak there.. if I remember , I cleaned the end before slip on... and it was a tight fit and has remained sealed...

Attachments

Reactions: Flash Bantam
Sure..here ya go... I have no leak there.. if I remember , I cleaned the end before slip on... and it was a tight fit and has remained sealed...
A couple of things with mine. It seems the clamp isnt thick enough and also when i make it tight and tighten the clamp it seems to come away from the joint.. Any ideas?

Attachments

A couple of things with mine. It seems the clamp isnt thick enough and also when i make it tight and tighten the clamp it seems to come away from the joint.. Any ideas?

You mean the clamp slips instead of tightening? or the slipon slips up? if the slipon slips up.. push and hold pressure on the muffler while tightening is all I would think of? but it looks to be sitting as near the lip ring as mine.. I have no clue what to do other than the perma or silicone as suggested elsewhere..

I did notice.. in the cutouts on the muffler end..if you look close..on my image you can see the pipe goes past and you can see the silver color in the cutout.. and on yours..it seems it is showing BLACK as if the pipe did not go in far enough.. is that where the leak is at? I have no clue actually.. mine worked as expected.

Reactions: Flash Bantam
I "never" got that.. never once thought, wow this is to loud...:)
Yeah... I am pretty sure most buy slip-ons for a sound boost... I enjoy the Coffman...nothing near a Harley etc..
I like your bracket too btw.. nice..

I am looking forward to the custom one "Silent" comes up with though... that's kinda neat too do... :clap:
Here is a couple of pictures of my KRT with the custom muffler.
I do like the Coffman, and it has a good sound. It was just too loud for my taste and living in the Philippines there are laws for excessively loud motorcycles. I live in the city and with the Coffman the sound was just too much and attracting the wrong kind of attention.
With the new custom made muffler the sound is quite a bit louder than stock but not as much as the Coffman.
I still need to go back to the guy who made it for me so that he can finish polishing it up. This one cost me about 80usd to get it made and installed

Attachments

I do like the Coffman, and it has a good sound. It was just too loud for my taste and living in the Philippines there are laws for excessively loud motorcycles. I live in the city and with the Coffman the sound was just too much and attracting the wrong kind of attention.
With the new custom made muffler the sound is quite a bit louder than stock but not as much as the Coffman.
I still need to go back to the guy who made it for me so that he can finish polishing it up. This one cost me about 80usd to get it made and installed
Awesome, I always wondered if there was a way to make the coffmans a little less loud.. I read a forum where someone packed fibreglass in there which helped.. Where are you in PI? Ill be there in AC this month (Bikeless unfortunately)

Awesome, I always wondered if there was a way to make the coffmans a little less loud.. I read a forum where someone packed fibreglass in there which helped.. Where are you in PI? Ill be there in AC this month (Bikeless unfortunately)
I lived there in AC for a few months but never really cared for the area that much. I am now living in Cebu, for about 8 years now.

Yeah.. Umm.. no... :) I have never been a fan of huge springs holding a Muffler on.. but I am happy that you are happy.. we all have to walk our own paths.. :clap:

Exhaust removed, Cleaned and High Temp silicon applied. Lets see how this dries up tomorrow.

I hope that works out for you.. good luck with it!

My review on Coffman's Exhaust Systems 6-16-20
I've been riding my Z400 for 9 months, Coffman's has been on for about 8 month.

Quality: excellent quality control. Smooth one piece surface. Fit and finish is excellent. 7lbs lighter than stock.

Sound: raw and loud! You hear the sound of the engine without any reverberation compared to a large canister. Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Appearance: Subjective, however I like the small size instead of a large canister.

Bought this unit on ebay for about $120. I'm thinking it was just too loud for the seller. Have to admit the loudness scared me at first. I was thinking "what have I done?" My Z is stock so I left the baffle in for adequate back pressure. Kept the rpm low during the break in period and I just got used to the sound.
I'm purely a sport rider as I mostly only ride in the canyon and coast mountains above Santa Cruz, CA.
The biggest question about this canister, is it to loud? I would ask what kind of riding do you do? In the city jumping from stop lights I would say yes it's too loud but up on mountain roads it sounds awesome. When I ride through small towns I'll shift into higher gears to lower the rpm and sound.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.