Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I got my Ninja a month ago and I'm at 1100km or 690 miles for some of you.
I could also mention I bought the demo bike available from my dealer with 120 km on it(basically brand new for €500 discount).
But the first week I noticed my clutch is slipping a little bit, at first I thought I was letting my fingers hold on to the lever too long but after a couple rides(I doesn't happen every time) I tried to do a couple runs and confirmed it was actually slipping even when fully released the lever. So yesterday I tried a couple clutchless up shifts and it did it again! It's only when I do very fast upshifts tho, I'm a relatively sporty rider so it annoys me when it happens cause I like to train my fast upshifts.
Have any of you had this problem?
Can you think of what could be wrong?

Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
59 Posts
mine was slipping a little, I had to loosen the adjustment on the leaver just a bit and problem solved. give that a try

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hello
I could also mention I bought the demo bike available from my dealer with 120 km on it(basically brand new for €500 discount).
But the first week I noticed my clutch is slipping a little bit, at first I thought I was letting my fingers hold on to the lever too long but after a couple rides(I doesn't happen every time) I tried to do a couple runs and confirmed it was actually slipping even when fully released the lever. So yesterday I tried a couple clutchless up shifts and it did it again! It's only when I do very fast upshifts tho, I'm a relatively sporty rider so it annoys me when it happens cause I like to train my fast upshifts.

Thank you for reading.
Hello ElJayBee... Make sure you have about an 1/8" inch gap between the clutch lever handle and the clutch Perch ( The part that holds the assembly to your bars ), The clutch lever should be able to move freely 1/8" inch away from the perch before encountering any resistance from the attached cable.

Check Page 116 of your manual, it will explain how adjust the slack in the cable.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hello

Thank you for reading.
Do you have an audible clunk when shifting at high rpm? Curious cause that's what I'm getting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yup same problem. I'm a relatively aggressive rider and it only does this with aggressive shifting. It absolutely annoys the crap out of me on the track. I think it's to do with the "assist" part of the whole 'assist slipper clutch' ordeal. There are other threads on it and solutions...heavier springs! Search in forums and you will find it. Seems to solve the issue and as a bonus much better shifts for "spirited" riding =)

Edit: Also it isn't your clutch lever play like others have mentioned so dont worry about that....Yes make sure its adjusted proper, but mine does the same thing and I've tried it at the loose and tight end of the allowable play. It's just the way she is unfortunately.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Yup same problem. I'm a relatively aggressive rider and it only does this with aggressive shifting. It absolutely annoys the crap out of me on the track. I think it's to do with the "assist" part of the whole 'assist slipper clutch' ordeal. There are other threads on it and solutions...heavier springs! Search in forums and you will find it. Seems to solve the issue and as a bonus much better shifts for "spirited" riding =)

Edit: Also it isn't your clutch lever play like others have mentioned so dont worry about that....Yes make sure its adjusted proper, but mine does the same thing and I've tried it at the loose and tight end of the allowable play. It's just the way she is unfortunately.
Yes my best guess was that it was the slipper clutch activating slightly.
Pity it does not have any adjustability.
It seems they are going to become more common as OEM fitment.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Last 2 posts might be a spammer in the making.

Anyway, slipper clutch shouldn't activate under acceleration, the ramp is on the deceleration side. Sounds like straight up weak springs.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Last 2 posts might be a spammer in the making.

Anyway, slipper clutch shouldn't activate under acceleration, the ramp is on the deceleration side. Sounds like straight up weak springs.
That's' right, I remember see images of the design now, only works in the one direction.

The spammer guy must've have been a newbie to the game so I've deleted his posts to encourage a more legible response from him.
I need something of merit before I hit the ban button. :biggrin:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Finding clutch was slipping in first week of owning bike,you should taken it back to dealers
now you have left it late ,you will have fix it yourself now at a cost
it wont be due to clutch cable adjustment unless its far too tight

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's just the springs. They are extremely...EXTREMELY light. Like I mentioned before theres posts on it and new springs available that fixes this problem. Definitely going to be fixing it myself too!

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
It's just the springs. They are extremely...EXTREMELY light. Like I mentioned before theres posts on it and new springs available that fixes this problem. Definitely going to be fixing it myself too!
An old trick I have done before is to put one washer behind each spring. Worked a treat on my old XR200 after I foolishly put full synth oil in an old wet clutch design motor of high mileage and impregnated the clutch plates with the stuff.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Man, I am sorry to hear about your clutch issues. That down right stinks. I have to wonder what percentage of those bikes produced are having issues.

I DO know that before I make my purchase, I will be showing my dealer these posts and put them on notice that I won’t take ‘normal wear’ as an answer for a 1000 mile slipping problem. Have em write that on purchase receipt. Ahhhh, but that probably won’t happen.

I hope you get some satisfaction from the dealer. But sometimes if they are selling a faulty product, nothing they can do.

I wish you good luck.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I wonder how difficult it is to change the spring yourself? Does it require cracking open the case?

I have about average skills and never made a clutch change before.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Man, I am sorry to hear about your clutch issues. That down right stinks. I have to wonder what percentage of those bikes produced are having issues.

I DO know that before I make my purchase, I will be showing my dealer these posts and put them on notice that I won’t take ‘normal wear’ as an answer for a 1000 mile slipping problem. Have em write that on purchase receipt. Ahhhh, but that probably won’t happen.

I hope you get some satisfaction from the dealer. But sometimes if they are selling a faulty product, nothing they can do.

I wish you good luck.

I have 2900 km's so far and no issues whatsoever... take a note that in my opinion the shift lever is a piece of garbage that makes you lose your feel because its not stiff enough... feels like feather to me = which will make you misshift sometimes..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts