Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's correct, you'll want to replace the parts you mentioned. It's possible you can get a little more life out of those plates by doing the springs, cable spring, and rod/bearing since the rod and bearing extends life a bit.
Well, I already ordered the rod and bearing from you so I'll install those and see if things improve a bit. If not, I'll have to bite the bullet and just do the rest. I just wish Kawi would stand behind the product and issue a recall and fix the problem. The fact that they changed the rod and bearing for 2020 shows they know it's an issue and they should be recalling all pre 2020 bikes and doing the swap free of charge.

171 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Well, I already ordered the rod and bearing from you so I'll install those and see if things improve a bit. If not, I'll have to bite the bullet and just do the rest. I just wish Kawi would stand behind the product and issue a recall and fix the problem. The fact that they changed the rod and bearing for 2020 shows they know it's an issue and they should be recalling all pre 2020 bikes and doing the swap free of charge.
Agreed, they should recall them, but they won't. The other problems are real also. We've seen the sloppy shift change shaft cause damage to the OEM shift star when used agressively for hard canyon riding or track riding and then all of that has to be replaced also. It's just some poor design and manufacturing. But it really is a completely different animal once its all been upgraded, the shifting is awesome.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Agreed, they should recall them, but they won't. The other problems are real also. We've seen the sloppy shift change shaft cause damage to the OEM shift star when used agressively for hard canyon riding or track riding and then all of that has to be replaced also. It's just some poor design and manufacturing. But it really is a completely different animal once its all been upgraded, the shifting is awesome.
My bike has a bad shifting problem due to a sloppy shift change shaft I'm sure, and I hope the Norton parts including the shift change shaft resolve the problem. I am waiting for the parts and my service is scheduled for Aug 26th. I'm also having Kawasaki replace the springs and rod\bearing at the same time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
So will the stock shift star be OK with the upgraded shift shaft if it is changed out early enough or do they need to be changed out together for maximum results?

Thus is so confusing.....

·
Registered
262 Posts
So will the stock shift star be OK with the upgraded shift shaft if it is changed out early enough or do they need to be changed out together for maximum results?

Thus is so confusing.....
I'm only getting the shift shaft, springs, and rod/bearing update. Someone stated that the shift star was more for tracking but I could be wrong. I only have 1200 miles and 400 are from the previous owner so I don't think a shift star is needed in my case. Once the Kawasaki techs get in there and start working they can assess the shift star and other parts and replace as needed.

171 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I'm only getting the shift shaft, springs, and rod/bearing update. Someone stated that the shift star was more for tracking but I could be wrong. I only have 1200 miles and 400 are from the previous owner so I don't think a shift star is needed in my case. Once the Kawasaki techs get in there and start working they can assess the shift star and other parts and replace as needed.
It's all detailed in the article what each piece does if you read it. The shift shaft corrects the sloppy shifting and missshifts, the star and detent spring corrects the false neutrals and makes the shifting crisper and each gear more defined as it drops into gear.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It's all detailed in the article what each piece does if you read it. The shift shaft corrects the sloppy shifting and missshifts, the star and detent spring corrects the false neutrals and makes the shifting crisper and each gear more defined as it drops into gear.
Thanks Jesse, I was originally going to order the shift star but this guy Watcher talked me out of it because he said-you said it was best used for racing and short shifting so I didn't order it. I don't have false neutrals but the shifting obviously sucks ass because we are having this conversation. I am spending 500 on labor and want to take advantage of the labor to change whatever needs to be changed. Should I be replacing the star?

"Jesse mentioned the machined shift star with the HD detent spring is best used for racing/track purposes for example short-shifting. Since I got the entire kit installed, I would agree, especially if you're looking to save a few doll hairs. Definitely, the blue-printed shift shaft, HD clutch springs, clutch cable spring, 2020 pull-rod and bearing will transform the bike."

171 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Thanks Jesse, I was originally going to order the shift star but this guy Watcher talked me out of it because he said-you said it was best used for racing and short shifting so I didn't order it. I don't have false neutrals but the shifting obviously sucks ass because we are having this conversation. I am spending 500 on labor and want to take advantage of the labor to change whatever needs to be changed. Should I be replacing the star?

"Jesse mentioned the machined shift star with the HD detent spring is best used for racing/track purposes for example short-shifting. Since I got the entire kit installed, I would agree, especially if you're looking to save a few doll hairs. Definitely, the blue-printed shift shaft, HD clutch springs, clutch cable spring, 2020 pull-rod and bearing will transform the bike."
That doesn't sound exactly like something I would say but regardless, but for sure it's more important when pushing the bike hard to not get a false neutral for safety reasons, for example racing or riding hard in a canyon where missing a shift or getting a false neutral can send you off a cliff. However it's effective at improving the shifting and removing false neutrals no matter how you use the bike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Installed the clutch kit with shift star minus the judder spring this past weekend and its tremendously better. The gear changes are smooth. I can finally find neutral, downshifting from second when coming to a stop. Before the upgrades I had to come to a stop in first gear then find neutral. The shifting feels a lot more like my R1. I don't even miss the judder spring.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you are getting the shift change shaft replaced, its right bellow it. Once the shaft is removed the star is accessible, then it's heating up the bolt to remove the lock tight, and removing the bolt. The star comes right off. Shouldn't be any extra labor cost to remove one lock tight bolt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Omg, has anyone ever gotten a false neutral and fallen off the cliff. :LOL: Sorry Jesse, couldn't help myself.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Just to clarify, ^ that’s Norton’s vid, referenced on the clutch/shifting How To white paper Jesse wrote & posted on their site. :) It does show that bad things can potentially happen when you get a false neutral on a downshift and the engine braking you were expecting doesn’t happen.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I got the clutch cable spring installed last night and the clutch lever feels a lot firmer and snaps back into place like a proper clutch lever. Nice work Jesse and I look forward to getting the full Norton experience with the updated parts when installed.

I am very surprised that Kawasaki has such poor design and execution in this area. My last 2 Kawasaki's spanned over 20 years and those clutch/gear boxes had Rolex like precision and required no maintenance or additional parts. My 1999 KLR 650 (Dual Sport) had a better clutch/gear box than this Ninja.

If there is one thing in this world that pisses my off to no end it is a sloppy clutch/gear box. How in God's name do these animals at Kawasaki allow such incompetence to occur?

·
Registered
149 Posts
101 - 120 of 126 Posts