Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Anyone know the part # or the size for the Clutch Spring bolts? Swapping out my springs this afternoon and one of them snapped before I even got it snugged down to put the torque wrench on it.
Had to use a pencil eraser and push that on to luckily unscrew the broke part of the bolt to get it out. Sadly all the dealers are closed around me already.

·
Super Moderator
1,004 Posts
Anyone know the part # or the size for the Clutch Spring bolts? Swapping out my springs this afternoon and one of them snapped before I even got it snugged down to put the torque wrench on it.
Had to use a pencil eraser and push that on to luckily unscrew the broke part of the bolt to get it out. Sadly all the dealers are closed around me already.
Ouch!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Will be installing the upgraded clutch springs, spears pull arm, and detent spring in the next few days and had a few questions.

Can anyone confirm whether the clutch cover can be removed WITHOUT removing the clutch cable? It appears a member above was able to just swing the cover out the way to do the work?

For the detent spring, the shift star does not need to be removed correct?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yes and yes.

154 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Jesse/Norton, do you know if a new Pull Rod Bearing with tighter clearances would benefit clutch feel and slip? The reason I ask is because you don't include one, but Spears includes a new bearing that claims an improvement.

154 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Hi Jesse/Norton, do you know if a new Pull Rod Bearing with tighter clearances would benefit clutch feel and slip? The reason I ask is because you don't include one, but Spears includes a new bearing that claims an improvement.
There's no reason to replace the bearing.

·
Registered
615 Posts
There's no reason to replace the bearing.

I was wondering the same thing. Why did Spears include a bearing? I have both the Spears and Norton pull rods. They don't look similar at all. The Spears looks like it wasn't machined. Looks similar to stock. I'll have to take measurements.

154 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I was wondering the same thing. Why did Spears include a bearing? I have both the Spears and Norton pull rods. They don't look similar at all. The Spears looks like it wasn't machined. Looks similar to stock. I'll have to take measurements.
Could be that they included a stock pull rod with a thinner bearing to increase clearance instead of machining clearance into the pull rod.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I agree, any advantages? Do you require measurements?

154 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I agree, any advantages? Do you require measurements?
If you have both and can measure differences in the rods and differences in the stock bearing and spears supplied bearing that might be helpful. Regarding differenes, probably doesn't matter, but a larger bearing will be stronger, so if his bearing has smaller balls to be thinner technically it isn't as strong, just like us machining the flange technically makes the flange weaker, but as long as neither fail, it doesn't matter as long as clearance is increased.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The bearing is NSK 16001 with a depth of 6.96 mm. The pull rod flange is 2.54 mm.

Two solutions to the same issue.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hmmm, could this be the same stock bearing for the 2020 bikes?

Edit: the parts fiche states that there is a new pull rod bearing. Maybe Kawa fixed this clutch issue after all. But that is just one issue haha.

154 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Hmmm, could this be the same stock bearing for the 2020 bikes?

Edit: the parts fiche states that there is a new pull rod bearing. Maybe Kawa fixed this clutch issue after all. But that is just one issue haha.
What's the thickness of the original bearing? let me know and I'll investigate a little further on the 2020 bearing and see if I can update our clutch article if I need to.

·
Registered
615 Posts
What's the thickness of the original bearing? let me know and I'll investigate a little further on the 2020 bearing and see if I can update our clutch article if I need to.

Sure, I'll make a note of it when I install your clutch kit. Just waiting for more parts before I dive in.

154 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Sure, I'll make a note of it when I install your clutch kit. Just waiting for more parts before I dive in.
I just ordered myself a 2020 pull rod and bearing so I can make any adjustments I need to in the clutch article for the 2020 bikes. Thanks for bringing up the bearing, maybe that'll be a cheaper change than the pull rod for older bikes, the bearing is cheap.

·
Registered
615 Posts
41 - 60 of 83 Posts