Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Plus you are all the way in at the perch. Id loosen it up at the arm so you have some wiggle room to adjust later down the road.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
i know you deleted this but i totally understand what you're saying. when i put it in gear it automatically stalls, does this mean it's too lose? i love the clutch freeplay but does it not need to stall with it pulled in all the way and with the rear tire up? @cornfed

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Plus you are all the way in at the perch. Id loosen it up at the arm so you have some wiggle room to adjust later down the road.
did that :)< i was curious on why it was up all the way. maybe the people who were working on my bike before me really messed up the clutch system

·
Registered
70 Posts
i know you deleted this but i totally understand what you're saying. when i put it in gear it automatically stalls, does this mean it's too lose? i love the clutch freeplay but does it not need to stall with it pulled in all the way and with the rear tire up? @cornfed View attachment 14625
Im not sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying your bike stalls when you are in gear with the lever pulled in?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Video is always helpful is always helpful. Your bike should not stall with the lever pulled in. On a stand, in 1st gear with the lever released your tire should spin, lever pulled in wheel should stop spinning engine should keep running. Make sure your kickstand is up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So your bike is on a stand. kick stand up. You are in first gear. Pull in clutch. Start bike. Tire should not be spinning. Let clutch out easy. Tire should start spinning.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So your bike is on a stand. kick stand up. You are in first gear. Pull in clutch. Start bike. Tire should not be spinning. Let clutch out easy. Tire should start spinning.
going to upload something real quick for you

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

. aight yall ima head out.......

·
Registered
261 Posts
You need to be able to move the clutch lever a few mm BEFORE the cable cable starts moving. This is the slack we are talking about. If you move the clutch lever and the clutch cable starts moving immediately with no slack the clutch is probably partially engaged and that is the reason why you are burning out the clutch. Do you understand?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
You need to be able to move the clutch lever a few mm BEFORE the cable cable starts moving. This is the slack we are talking about. If you move the clutch lever and the clutch cable starts moving immediately with no slack the clutch is always partially engaged and that is the reason why you are burning out the clutch. Do you understand?
yeah i totally get it now, its basically kinda like how a washer works just some space in between the two thresholds of engagement and disengagement. wow aight y'all im a lvl 7 clutch master now

·
Registered
70 Posts
You need to be able to move the clutch lever a few mm BEFORE the cable cable starts moving. This is the slack we are talking about. If you move the clutch lever and the clutch cable starts moving immediately with no slack the clutch is always partially engaged and that is the reason why you are burning out the clutch. Do you understand?
Not necessarily with the clutch arm spring installed. It will hold slight tension on the cable because the spring is pushing the arm back. At least that is how mine is. It is noticeable when you hit the wall of resistance of the clutch springs though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
From my understanding he has the spring mod. If he does not then you are correct. I feel like im confusing the **** out of this dude.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Not necessarily with the clutch arm spring installed. It will hold slight tension on the cable because the spring is pushing the arm back. At least that is how mine is. It is noticeable when you hit the wall of resistance of the clutch springs though.
thankfully i have some knowledge in engineering so im not completely lost. but this is what i'm at right now, im actually pretty satisfied with this, so much more room than before

·
Registered
70 Posts
Looks much better. Best bet is to measure with caliper or see if your can stick 3-4 credit cards in the space at the lever. Also if you have trouble shifting just tighten the cable at the perch, 1/2 turn at a time should do it. Do you think your previous adjustment was to tight?

41 - 60 of 81 Posts