Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Another way to look at the clutch cable slack is to have the lever all the way out and grab the cable housing and make sure you can slide a it little way back from the cable adjuster with no effort. If there's a lot of internal drag between the cable and the housing you may not see a lot of looseness at the lever, but pulling the housing back from the lever will show you just how much slack there is.
I know that ignorance is bliss and I know that 90% of people on this forum have more experience that me with motorcycles so I took a little video of what my free play looks like.
I may be wrong with how much I have but please don't be afraid to put me on blast if you see anything peculiar!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Wow, I have a sense of urge telling me that the freeplay on my clutch is waay too tight.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Was that video supposed to show some slack in the lever? :)

page 2-30 Periodic Maintenance from the factory service manual
Clutch
Clutch Operation Inspection
Pull the clutch lever just enough to take up the free play.
Measure the gap between the lever and the lever holder.
*If the gap is too wide, the clutch may not release fully. If
the gap is too narrow, the clutch may not engage fully. In
either case, adjust it.
Clutch Lever Free Play
Standard: 2 - 3 mm (0.08 - 0.12 In.)
Turn the adjuster (at the hand lever) so that 5-6mm (0.2-0.24 in) of threads are visible
Slide the dust cover at the clutch cable lower end out of place.
Loosen both adjusting nuts at the clutch cover as far as they will go
Pull the clutch outer cable tight and tighten the adjusting nuts against the clutch cover
Slip the dust cover back into place
Turn the adjuster at the clutch lever until the free play is correct.
Warning: Too much cable play can prevent clutch disengagement and cause an accident resulting in serious injury or death. When adjusting the clutch or replacing the cable, be sure the upper end of the clutch outer cable is fully seated in its fitting, or it could slip into place later, creating enough cable play to prevent clutch disengagement.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Was that video supposed to show some slack in the lever? :)

page 2-30 Periodic Maintenance from the factory service manual
Clutch
Clutch Operation Inspection
Pull the clutch lever just enough to take up the free play.
Measure the gap between the lever and the lever holder.
*If the gap is too wide, the clutch may not release fully. If
the gap is too narrow, the clutch may not engage fully. In
either case, adjust it.
Clutch Lever Free Play
Standard: 2 - 3 mm (0.08 - 0.12 In.)
Turn the adjuster (at the hand lever) so that 5-6mm (0.2-0.24 in) of threads are visible
Slide the dust cover at the clutch cable lower end out of place.
Loosen both adjusting nuts at the clutch cover as far as they will go
Pull the clutch outer cable tight and tighten the adjusting nuts against the clutch cover
Slip the dust cover back into place
Turn the adjuster at the clutch lever until the free play is correct.
Warning: Too much cable play can prevent clutch disengagement and cause an accident resulting in serious injury or death. When adjusting the clutch or replacing the cable, be sure the upper end of the clutch outer cable is fully seated in its fitting, or it could slip into place later, creating enough cable play to prevent clutch disengagement.
yes it was! and i have the PDF of the sevice manual. (something i didn't have the past couple of times.) i will definitely have the beside me when i change my plates!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Don't look at the end of the lever for the free play, look at (or for) the gap between the lever and the perch. 2-3mm between the perch and cable will be 4-5X that much at the far end of the lever (whatever the ratio is for the distance between the pivot to the cable and the distance from the pivot to the end of the lever.

·
Registered
262 Posts
That clutch cable is too tight and may partially engaging the clutch so it is always engaged and burning up as a result. I have a lot more free play in my lever before engaging. I have about 5mm lever play before the gear side starts moving. That may be too much and I am going to go to 3-4mm.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Don't look at the end of the lever for the free play, look at (or for) the gap between the lever and the perch. 2-3mm between the perch and cable will be 4-5X that much at the far end of the lever (whatever the ratio is for the distance between the pivot to the cable and the distance from the pivot to the end of the lever.
^^ This.

I see you have a rear stand, lift your rear wheel up while adjusting the clutch, with it in gear and the lever pulled in your wheel should not move. If your wheel is spinning with the clutch lever pulled in your plates are still grabbing and you need to put more slack in your cable.
You've got this around the wrong way. We dont want to confuse this guy anymore lol. If the clutch wont disengage fully with the lever pulled right in then you need to take slack out of the cable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
^^ This.

You've got this around the wrong way. We dont want to confuse this guy anymore lol. If the clutch wont disengage fully with the lever pulled right in then you need to take slack out of the cable.
LOL I noticed that after I posted and dont know how to edit. Its 5am here, coffee is still brewing.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
That clutch cable is too tight and may not be fully disengaging the clutch so it is always engaged and burning up as a result. I have a lot more free play in my lever before engaging.
The clutch plates get burnt by not having full engagement rather than disengagement. If you dont have the free play in your cable it's the same as riding around with your hand on the clutch and just pulling it enough to make the revs increase slightly through plate slippage. The cable is strung tight by the adjusters stopping the clutch from fully engaging.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The clutch plates get burnt by not having full engagement rather than disengagement. If you dont have the free play in your cable it's the same as riding around with your hand on the clutch and just pulling it enough to make the revs increase slightly through plate slippage. The cable is strung tight by the adjusters stopping the clutch from fully engaging.
OK, the correct terminology is not fully engaged rather than not fully disengaged, either way this guy is driving around on auto clutch because the cable is too tight.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts